Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tricks or setting adjustments to get phone notication sounds over the car speakers???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read about a solution to this problem here on TMC (don't remember the post or the author, apologies for lack of attribution). I only tried it just now when I read this set of posts, it seems to work.

Pair your iPhone with the Tesla via Bluetooth. On the iPhone, swipe up from the bottom to get a little panel with some controls on it. The Bluetooth icon should be blue in color, indicating a pairing. Now swipe to the right to find another panel with the word "Music" at the top. On the bottom of that panel is a drop-down menu that selects the destination for audio. It probably says "Tesla Model S" at this point (or something similar). Select iPhone. Swipe down to get rid of the panel.

At this point you are in a mode where you can select any audio source other than "Phone" on the Tesla and it'll play through the car's speakers. If the phone alerts, the audio comes through the phone speakers. If you get a phone call, the phone audio should take over the car's speakers (this also does the right thing if you have "Hey Siri" set up).

I imagine there must be a way to do something similar for Android devices.

Yes it's kind of a hassle, and the Tesla Bluetooth stack could do a better job. But this is at least *a* way to get the desired functionality. I haven't decided if it's worth the effort for me to do this on a regular basis.

Bruce.

I read about a solution to this problem here on TMC (don't remember the post or the author, apologies for lack of attribution). I only tried it just now when I read this set of posts, it seems to work.

Pair your iPhone with the Tesla via Bluetooth. On the iPhone, swipe up from the bottom to get a little panel with some controls on it. The Bluetooth icon should be blue in color, indicating a pairing. Now swipe to the right to find another panel with the word "Music" at the top. On the bottom of that panel is a drop-down menu that selects the destination for audio. It probably says "Tesla Model S" at this point (or something similar). Select iPhone. Swipe down to get rid of the panel.

At this point you are in a mode where you can select any audio source other than "Phone" on the Tesla and it'll play through the car's speakers. If the phone alerts, the audio comes through the phone speakers. If you get a phone call, the phone audio should take over the car's speakers (this also does the right thing if you have "Hey Siri" set up).

I imagine there must be a way to do something similar for Android devices.

Yes it's kind of a hassle, and the Tesla Bluetooth stack could do a better job. But this is at least *a* way to get the desired functionality. I haven't decided if it's worth the effort for me to do this on a regular basis.

Bruce.
This could work (don't have a tester around.. :)), but two things. The real issue is the bluetooth profile Tesla is using, I believe. I have this same problem on my BMW, it works for voice navigation, and all that, but other 'sounds' (like texts, alerts), are not transmitted to the car. I assume there is 'everything' BT profile, but they picked the music/audio one.

Number two is that @bmah's instructions will change this fall with iOS 11. The control panel has been completely redone. So, if you save this post, be ready for a little retraining, if you don't use the CP on your phone much!

I wear an Apple Watch. This does provide haptic and audio alerts, so it handles the problem the OP (and many of us) has experienced. Also with an Apple Watch, you can quickly turn your wrist to see what the alert is, and then use Siri (or tap on the watch--still technically legal) to reply. Works for me.

This is my solution as well.

Must...hold back...from buying...yet...another...Apple...gadget...

Bruce.