Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any tricks or setting adjustments to get phone notication sounds over the car speakers???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

No ICE

2016 S75D pearl AP1, & 2014 silver S85 AP1
Apr 10, 2016
Kansas City
i just picked up my model S last week and I have not been able to hear any of my phone notifications sounds (espically need to hear when some one sends me a text). ( I know don't text and drive, I do not but at red lights I reply, or espically why I want auto pilot to feel comfortable replying on the highway while it is on) Am I missing something here? All my other cars have had this.

Any advice or work arround??

The answer is only when you're listening to an audio source on your phone.

I've reported this to Tesla many times. It's just a very low priority.

I've suggested that they disconnect the Bluetooth audio profile when not in use, so at least the alert sounds will sound from the phone.

Last edited:
What you're missing here is don't text and drive means don't text and drive. This includes while at red lights and when using autopilot.
Phhpleeeezze!!! Get off! "What you're missing here is" ... logic

Before passing whatever you're passing, along with the judgment, - think!!! Not only text message notifications are screwed - map directions too along with other alerts (amber and other public alerts). I hope it's ok by you to allow use of maps and directions from your phone, but what good is it as Tesla has the audio of your phone, meaning that the map directions from the phone are sent to Tesla and, unless your car audio set to the phone, get lost.

In California, it is illegal to hold your phone in your hand for any reason while in the drivers seat.

Penalties. Unlawful use of a cellphone while driving is an infraction in California. A first offense results in a $20 base fine, and for a second or subsequent offense, the base fine is $50. But be mindful that the actual amount you’ll pay once assessments are added will be significantly more than the base fine. The total for a first violation will likely exceed $150, and a second or subsequent offense can cost over $250. However, unlawful cellphone use is a zero-point traffic violation, so a conviction shouldn't affect a motorist's insurance rates. (Read about California’s traffic violation point system.)

Exceptions. California’s vehicle cellphone ban doesn’t apply when a motorist uses a cellphone while driving on private property or places a call for emergency purposes (such as calling for an ambulance or other emergency services). Emergency service professionals are also exempt from the cellphone ban while operating an authorized emergency vehicle.

(Cal. Veh. Code §§ 12810.3, 23123 (2017).)

In California, it is illegal to hold your phone in your hand for any reason while in the drivers seat.

Penalties. Unlawful use of a cellphone while driving is an infraction in California. A first offense results in a $20 base fine, and for a second or subsequent offense, the base fine is $50. But be mindful that the actual amount you’ll pay once assessments are added will be significantly more than the base fine. The total for a first violation will likely exceed $150, and a second or subsequent offense can cost over $250. However, unlawful cellphone use is a zero-point traffic violation, so a conviction shouldn't affect a motorist's insurance rates. (Read about California’s traffic violation point system.)

Exceptions. California’s vehicle cellphone ban doesn’t apply when a motorist uses a cellphone while driving on private property or places a call for emergency purposes (such as calling for an ambulance or other emergency services). Emergency service professionals are also exempt from the cellphone ban while operating an authorized emergency vehicle.

(Cal. Veh. Code §§ 12810.3, 23123 (2017).)
And there are tons of ways to mount your phone, such as ProClip, which I've used for many years in every car I've owned. Not sure why we are assuming people are holding phones in their hand...

Reactions: JSkrehot
i just picked up my model S last week and I have not been able to hear any of my phone notifications sounds (espically need to hear when some one sends me a text). ( I know don't text and drive, I do not but at red lights I reply, or espically why I want auto pilot to feel comfortable replying on the highway while it is on) Am I missing something here? All my other cars have had this.

I'm going to try and steer this ship back on course... I agree with you!

Would be lovely to have some sort of a ding or notification about the going-ons on our device. My wife's 2015 Nissan Rogue has this; when she receives a text on her phone, the car announces "New text from <Name>" and if you hit the Answer Call button on the steering wheel, it actually reads you the text out loud. This, of course, is hilarious sometimes as well. But, also very convenient.

I'm going to try and steer this ship back on course... I agree with you!

Would be lovely to have some sort of a ding or notification about the going-ons on our device. My wife's 2015 Nissan Rogue has this; when she receives a text on her phone, the car announces "New text from <Name>" and if you hit the Answer Call button on the steering wheel, it actually reads you the text out loud. This, of course, is hilarious sometimes as well. But, also very convenient.
That's a nice feature.

I've noticed my Tesla keeping the phone audio active, making phone think that it has external speakers, even if the CID set to a different audio source when I first tried using Waze and missing directions and all alerts (red light, cops, traffic, accidents, etc.) . For now, I set Waze to use "Phone speaker" for its audio, but would love to hear if there is a workaround, and, eventually, a fix from Tesla.

Turn off bluetooth on the phone and the phone acts normally. Just use speaker phone if someone calls.

If you are waiting for the ego strokers who are here exclusively to push their own agenda without even attempting to hear others to stop posting on these boards, you'll be waiting a long time.

To your question: There are only three options that I can find to do this, and none of them are ideal.

One, simply bypass the horrible Slacker radio and use Pandora or some other far superior service from your phone via Bluetooth. You will not get map voice and text dings, depending on your settings, over Bluetooth and therefore over the car speakers. You can use an announcement app that will read text to you and allow you to reply using only your voice.

Two, change the output on your phone to send specific alert audio via the phone speakers instead of through Bluetooth. This is what I do on my Pixel for those times when I'm listening to a podcast on TuneIn via the Tesla but still want alerts from my phone to sound (just have to make sure phone notification volume is all the way up so I can hear it over Tesla audio).

Three, disable Bluetooth while in the car so you get all audio notifications from your phone to sound through your phone's speakers and ignore Tesla entirely. This is obviously counterintuitive and stupid since the point of handsfree while in the car is to route things through the car, but this is just one way to help remedy Tesla's huge weakness here, albeit unsafe.

Just to add some reasons why these aren't ideal...

One, simply bypass the horrible Slacker radio and use Pandora or some other far superior service from your phone via Bluetooth.

Not feasible if you want to use USB audio or XM radio (and not the streaming XM radio app dependent on cell reception).

Two, change the output on your phone to send specific alert audio via the phone speakers instead of through Bluetooth.

Not possible on iPhone. :rolleyes: I'm not sure about other non-Pixel Android devices.

Not sure whether or not the OP does not hear the text notification from his phone itself, or just wants it through the car audio. I use an Android phone and hear text messages come in even if Bluetooth is on. So maybe the solution is simply to set the volume higher on your phone. Inelegant and does not address the broader compliant about notification sounds through the car audio, but it works for me. I can't speak for other notification sounds -- can't think of any from my phone that I have been aware of while driving, besides the phone ringing (through car speakers) and text sound. (And no, for the record I do not text and drive -- I ignore the notifications.)

Thanks all for the info, sounds like this is really a known PIA issue for some time now. Strange the car seems so high tech and then has these little odd missing programming/software features. Hope one day it gets corrected in a software update? I will start steaming over my phone with pandora or Spotify.