TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any Upcoming BEVs with AWD besides the Germans?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by internalaudit, Dec 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

Looks like most Japanese car makers are making an about face with Toyota, Honda and even Mazda announcing they will be producing BEVs by 2019/20.

The Germans are at it too with BMW and MB likely taking the lead with VW very much behind promising something by 2025.

With AWD, I understand that only the Germans and the luxury division of Japanese car makers offer AWD, except on SUV's/CUV's.

Any updates as to which BEV will have an AWD option besides the Model 3? I think I will use this criterion to reduce analysis paralysis when shopping for an EV. A friend who leased an S is very much content with it and has had some minor nuisances fixed, making his S more endearing to him.

2. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for any of them to offer AWD in a BEV at this point. There is no engineering synergy between Audi's quattro system and a AWD BEV. All the manufacturers are starting from the same point, which is substantially behind Tesla.

• Like x 1
  3. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

4. Carl

Carl Member

Well, there is supposedly a (promising, op paper at least) Jaguar coming up (Q2 or Q3 2018, if I read correctly). Price-wise probably somewhere between Model 3 and Model X (but at the end of the day probably more Model X territory).

• Like x 1
  5. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

#5 Jeff N, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    • Helpful x 1
  6. Carl

Carl Member

Yes, but the Audi is really in Model X territory I would think. Mixed feelings as to the Audi e-tron, as initially the only plant building them will be 20km from my door, so could either be very promising, or (a year or so later) simply the end of the Audi plant in Brussels.

• Like x 1
  7. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

Yeah, I'm thinking $50k USD before taxes and government incentives. That probably rules out a lot of German makes and models that are luxury-priced here in North America.

I don't need luxurious amenities like 4WS (four wheel steering), Active Body Control (Mercedes), or even Tesla's Air Suspension. I just want that will last a long time and drive nicely.

8. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

Any updates on whether there were any new announcements relating to AWD BEVs? It seems most manufacturers are quite mum and just provide an expected timeline when they'll be releasing their line of BEVs.

Hopefully the 3 doesn't disappoint as there doesn't seem to be any other choice. :)

9. Porfiry

Porfiry Member

It seems to me that Audi has entirely backed away from a BEV. Their e-tron concept is now the Q8 concept, and there's no mention at all of a BEV, only PHEV and (sigh) gas-only options. Disappointing but not surprising from a dinosaur company.

• Informative x 1
  10. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

Audi has been quiet about the 2018 BEV SUV recently but it is still on their public website and I've heard nothing to indicate that it has been cancelled or delayed:

The electrified future of Audi | Audi USA

• Informative x 1