Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any update for FSD wide release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was supposed to be end of year when FSD Beta will be released to a wider number of cars but there seems to be no news on it with the year end passed. Did I miss some Twitter post from Elon Musk?
I presume you are referring to the initial earnings call statement?
Elon Musk Foresees Self-Driving Being Released to Public by End of 2020
There have been multiple updates since then.

11/27/2020 "Probably going to a wider beta in ~2 weeks"
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1332500802750083074

Latest update 12/26/2020 is in response to this question:
"When will you expand the FSD beta to the rest of early access program?"
"A few more revisions needed. Probably Beta 10 or 11."
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1342909163903455233

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
I presume you are referring to the initial earnings call statement?
Elon Musk Foresees Self-Driving Being Released to Public by End of 2020
There have been multiple updates since then.

11/27/2020 "Probably going to a wider beta in ~2 weeks"
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1332500802750083074

Latest update 12/26/2020 is in response to this question:
"When will you expand the FSD beta to the rest of early access program?"
"A few more revisions needed. Probably Beta 10 or 11."
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1342909163903455233

oh look whose back. Welcome back.
Did you transition to an alt account here?

What do you think now about your previous comments before that Tesla will have L5 by the end of 2018...you were willing to bet on it before you disappeared?

I have never been wrong, my biggest nemesis @stopcrazypp learned the hard way when he tried to contend with me and lost on every count.
He still hasn't shown up to face the music after his final vow that Tesla will have FSD (complete/almost complete) by end of 2018. All my statements are based on facts and level headed rationale.

I have been looking for you for 3 years!!!

giphy.gif

Last edited:
What do you think now about your previous comments before that Tesla will have L5 by the end of 2018...you were willing to bet on it before you disappeared?
Ouch! Too many people just haven’t learned that Musk is a salesman (although don’t think it’s fair to label him PT Barnum) & to not hang off his words.
Look at the facts, not tweets.
I estimated a while back that the robotaxi service would be running by end of next year. Not sure anymore

oh look whose back. Welcome back.
Did you transition to an alt account here?
Thanks. No, I was just busy with stuff in my personal life and this forum took up too much time, so I took a long hiatus. Only coming back since I got my 2021 SR+ just 2 weeks ago.

I have been looking for you for 3 years!!!
I'm going to have to dig back, but I remember back then I never said those words and you were trying to put words in my mouth to set up a strawman to say "I told you so". I remember posting several times about this already, giving you months to look for the post(s) where I said that and you never did (and you are again doing it 3 years later?:rolleyes:)

It seems you will never stop putting words in my mouth. Again, find the post or stop using me as a strawman to toot your own horn. If there were multiple posts it should be easy to find, much less one post. You had months to find it since our last interaction.

And looking back, searching for latest updates on some of the issues we discussed previously (haven't been following all the autonomous/semi-autonomous driving news that much):

Since then Audi have completely dropped their level 3 system (I guess that's a "I told you so" on my side), none of the other automakers have released L3 or L4 systems yet. Cruise never released their driverless/control-free car in 2019 (although they just announced they are starting trials without a driver in the car, although still a human monitor in the passenger seat and using the same vehicles). Waymo seems to be the only one that is fully on track and making lots of progress (finally out of the sandbox in Phoenix, I've been seeing their cars in the Bay Area finally).

Last edited:
I haven't been quite following, what Beta are they currently at right now?
FSD beta testers have been calling the current version "beta 9" as it's 4 software updates since Elon Musk called a version "beta 5." But those are actually the 10th and 6th software versions since the initial private beta released October 21st. The mismatched numbering could be because the 4th software update didn't contain any Autopilot changes (probably security bug fixes), and the most recent version added the holiday update but no Autopilot changes.

So if we're actually on the 8th Autopilot revision, it could be 2-3 more updates, which have averaged 10 days each.

There were some tweets yesterday suggesting new additions to a wider private beta:
New York https://twitter.com/stephenpallotta/status/1349483235231805440
Pennsylvania https://twitter.com/ropo724/status/1349497315200008194

Reactions: powertoold
Thanks. No, I was just busy with stuff in my personal life and this forum took up too much time, so I took a long hiatus. Only coming back since I got my 2021 SR+ just 2 weeks ago.

I'm going to have to dig back, but I remember back then I never said those words and you were trying to put words in my mouth to set up a strawman to say "I told you so". I remember posting several times about this already, giving you months to look for the post(s) where I said that and you never did (and you are again doing it 3 years later?:rolleyes:)

And looking back, searching for latest updates on some of the issues we discussed previously (haven't been following all the autonomous/semi-autonomous driving news that much):

Since then Audi have completely dropped their level 3 system (I guess that's a "I told you so" on my side), none of the other automakers have released L3 or L4 systems yet. Cruise never released their driverless/control-free car in 2019 (although they just announced they are starting trials without a driver in the car, although still a human monitor in the passenger seat and using the same vehicles). Waymo seems to be the only one that is fully on track and making lots of progress (finally out of the sandbox in Phoenix, I've been seeing their cars in the Bay Area finally).
Or just another sandbox around the bay are...

OK old thread same question. Wide release of FSD by years end... guess the year is not over but we are turning blue here.
Where did the goal post get moved to now? End of next year?
OP was asking about widening the FSD Beta testing pool. That has happened - late but did happen.

It was supposed to be end of year when FSD Beta will be released to a wider number of cars but there seems to be no news on it with the year end passed. Did I miss some Twitter post from Elon Musk?

This one is different - when will it be good enough to release to everyone without the safety score gate.
Elon says in this interview that it should be ready in 2022.🤣🤣🤣

Actually, I wonder is it really that different 20k vs 100k ? Probably not - but Tesla wants to be able to say they are only releasing to safety tested drivers.

Ah yes at the end of 2022. Thats what he meant to say when he said 2020 and 2021.
Just curious what the new time frame was. It's nice to have a goal at least.
I have had the beta since .5 and the improvements in my experience have been minimal.
I have seen the car be less jerky on the steering and a reduction of the phantom braking
but nothing huge. I know this is a huge undertaking but at current rate this robot-taxi dream
still looks like 10 years down the road at best. The world is a messy place an AI so far is not there.
Just my opinion based on my experience with FSD Beta.

OK old thread same question. Wide release of FSD by years end... guess the year is not over but we are turning blue here.
Where did the goal post get moved to now? End of next year?
The first post said wider release than it was last year (which did happen, even though late), as per the parts I quoted back then. There was no timeline given for when there was going to be release to everyone with no safety score restrictions. Last I followed Elon's last numbers related estimate was back in March with version 8.3, which he claimed the goal was 10x (which worked out to about 10k at the time since they had around 1k users). Of course that didn't happen on time, but they have since went well past 10k.

There is no indication they have any specific goal to expand past that any time soon. I think with that many testers, they have well more than enough to do testing for a while in a huge variety of settings. With the score system, with the exception of those waiting for hardware upgrades, anyone that really wants access can get it even though they have to work for it. Although the barrier will be slowly lowered, I think that system (or a very similar one) will remain permanently there as long as the system still remains L2.