Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any update on the now quiet SDK rumors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked the service center guy about this last weekend. He said that Tesla is preparing the app store but won't be releasing the sdk for security reasons.

Unfortunately if this is true there won't be much app development to be done even by those that take the initiative. Personally I hope that the service advisor was wrong because Tesla did in fact promise an SDK right from the start. I'm not sure what good an App Store would do with just a couple Tesla-designed apps.

I asked the service center guy about this last weekend. He said that Tesla is preparing the app store but won't be releasing the sdk for security reasons.
This is completely bogus. More proof that Tesla doesn't understand anything about security at all.

More worrisome is that Tesla is still violating copyright law with every car shipped. This is stuff which is really, really easy to get right, and they have now engaged in, what, over 5000 counts of wilful infringment? Not very bright, Tesla.

(Representatives of the copyright holders for Linux have been notified. They don't really want to sue, but the blatant violation of the license can't be tolerated indefinitely.)

Last edited:
Oh lord, please please please make Pandora be an early partner....

As sad as it is, I can see the install-base issue being problematic for developers too. Will Pandora develop an app simply to reach a potential 20k more people? I suppose Tesla could pay them to do it, or gain access to their API via an agreement and write their own.

Pandora and Spotify will be available in firmware Version 5.0

The US Manual is based on V4.0 and has no reference to Pandora or Spotify.
The European Manual is based on V5.0 and references both Pandora and Spotify

US Manual: http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_owners_guide.pdf

This document describes the features available at time of printing for: MODEL S SOFTWARE: v4.0
NOTE: Features released in subsequent versions of software are not described in this document. However, you can display information about the newest
features by viewing the Release Notes on the Model*S touchscreen. These Release Notes are displayed on the touchscreen after a software update, and
can be displayed at any time by touching the Tesla T at the top center of the touchscreen, and then touching the Release Notes link (see page 29). If
information provided in this document conflicts with information in the Release Notes, the Release Notes take precedence.

European Manual: (Attached) View attachment Model S Owners Manual - EU English (lower res).pdf
This document describes the features available at time of printing for: MODEL S SOFTWARE Version: 5.0
Features released in subsequent versions of software are not described in this document. However, you can
display information about the newest features by viewing the Release Notes on the Model S touchscreen. These
Release Notes are displayed on the touchscreen after a software update, and can be displayed at any time by
touching the Tesla “T” at the top center of the touchscreen, then touching the Release Notes link (see
page 5.24). If information provided in this document conflicts with information in the Release Notes, the Release
Notes take precedence.

HOMELINK® and the HOMELINK® house icon are registered trademarks of Johnson Controls, Inc. Bluetooth® is a
registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc. iPhone® is a registered trademark of Apple, Inc. Android™ and
Google Maps™ are trademarks of Google, Inc. Sirius, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of Sirius XM
Radio Inc. Pandora is a registered trademark of Pandora Media, Inc. Spotify is a registered trademark of the Spotify
Group.
All other trademarks contained in this document are the property of their respective owners and their use
herein does not imply sponsorship or endorsement of their products or services. The unauthorized use of any
trademark displayed in this document or on the vehicle is strictly prohibited.

More worrisome is that Tesla is still violating copyright law with every car shipped. This is stuff which is really, really easy to get right, and they have now engaged in, what, over 5000 counts of wilful infringment? Not very bright, Tesla.

(Representatives of the copyright holders for Linux have been notified. They don't really want to sue, but the blatant violation of the license can't be tolerated indefinitely.)

You keep talking about this but had yet to do anything about this.

More proof that this Tesla sales guy doesn't understand anything about security at all.
Fixed that for you. :p I really hope it's just a case of "what Tesla is currently telling front-line employees". Seems to be Tesla's M.O., to set expectations lower, informing the Sales team of the more likely scenario (presumably for plausible deniability) and then surprising everyone.

It's also possible that once the SDK is available, some Tesla owners would take the initiative to get new apps developed.
This is exactly why I started this thread, it's something i'm very excited about and fully intend on leveraging if it becomes available. Even if they do something like require a developer certification or something similar, i'll still pursue it.

So far Tesla has done nothing but impress and it's very easy to limit what an SDK can actually do, i'm sure they'll find a compromise, even if it isn't right away. Even if they start with just allow us to use/create some basic features, it will be a start. It will be an opportunity for us to impress them by what we do with the freedom of imagination and passion that these cars inspire.

At the Munich event, Elon apparently mentioned something about third party apps coming next year. So the SDK is coming, but given the pace of software updates lately I wouldn't count on it by next summer or even next fall. Probably late 2014 at the earliest.

See here: Hong Kong Tesla Special Event - 25th January 2016 6:30pm HKT - Page 2

In Hong Kong, last night, Elon Musk said:

As we have sort of thought about it more, the logic thing to do from an App standpoint it to maybe allow Apps on your iPhone or Android to project onto the centre display, as opposed to trying to create a new App ecosystem. So that is probably going to be our focus in the future - to enable you to project Apps from your phone to the centre screen.

Wow. That is a pretty clear statement of change of direction and support for car play and Android auto. But, not good news for a third party SDK (both from the apps accessing car information point of view, as well as for iOS where Apple is still restricting what can get into car play).

See here: Hong Kong Tesla Special Event - 25th January 2016 6:30pm HKT - Page 2

In Hong Kong, last night, Elon Musk said:

Wow. That is a pretty clear statement of change of direction and support for car play and Android auto. But, not good news for a third party SDK (both from the apps accessing car information point of view, as well as for iOS where Apple is still restricting what can get into car play).

It would be a change in direction if they had made any progress in the other direction. But, as far as I can tell, they have not. So I welcome this as progress! Though I want both CarPlay and a native SDK.

The only things I'd want from a 3rd party app perspective would be a better navigation experience (waze, google maps, plugshare) and more media apps (pandora, spotify, apple music). Sounds like carplay / AA would be able to achieve this wonderfully.

Actually, I kind of just want Tesla to dump Garmin and use straight Google Maps or Waze for nav. Wouldn't care about 3rd party apps then.

Sounds more like shortsighted laziness to me. A true SDK with in-car apps would allow developers to extend the features of the car, maybe giving us things that Tesla has not thought of. Instead, by "projecting" an iPhone or Android screen, you would be limited to smartphone apps that know nothing about your car or how to interact with it.

Sounds more like shortsighted laziness to me. A true SDK with in-car apps would allow developers to extend the features of the car, maybe giving us things that Tesla has not thought of. Instead, by "projecting" an iPhone or Android screen, you would be limited to smartphone apps that know nothing about your car or how to interact with it.
Not to mention that it means Tesla is behind Ford, BMW, and GM, all on whom have third party SDK programs for their cars.

The problem with extending functionality of the car is that they would have to have access to many of the car's systems. That can lead to unforeseen security issues.

Carplay/Andriod auto will give us access to a huge variety of audio streaming/media playback options and new navigation options, in a way that is 100% secure and can be implemented fairly quickly.