Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any update on the now quiet SDK rumors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for your response (I have used software like Remote Desktop). If that is what we are going to get in our Teslas, I like it. And I think it makes sense for Tesla.
The way CarPlay and Android Auto work is that your phone creates the actual display content, which is relayed to the car for display. Essentially, you can think of them as using the car as an external monitor. It's a bit more complex than that as the car gets a custom output different than what's displayed on the phone itself, and it can convey control information like taps on the touchscreen back to your phone for processing, but that's the general idea. They would have access to, at a minimum, the car's display (or a window within the display), the speakers, and the car's microphone.

If you've used Remote Desktop or VNC to use a remote computer before, you have the general idea of what's involved. It's essentially that with a fancy interface on top.

For "projecting" to work well, it needs to be bi-directional - the phone's display is mirrored on the 17" console display AND the console is able to use the touchscreen to send input back to the phone.

It is only projecting the phone's display - we'll end up with another mess like we have with the combination of Navigon/Google for navigation - people would be watching the phone's output on the console, but have to do all of the interaction on their phones - which means mounting the phone somewhere that is easily accessible by the driver. And does that really make sense for a $100K car - especially when the much lower priced Bolt will have the better integration using Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - and it is supposed to be out later this year???

It is only projecting the phone's display - we'll end up with another mess like we have with the combination of Navigon/Google for navigation - people would be watching the phone's output on the console, but have to do all of the interaction on their phones - which means mounting the phone somewhere that is easily accessible by the driver.
It won't work that way. That would be absurd.

It won't work that way. That would be absurd.

But would not be surprising - for a car that still lacks basic features like playlists and waypoints - and has many drivers mounting their smartphones instead of using the car's built-in software.

Yes - it would be absurd, but did the recent UI changes for time, temperature and the media source selection make any sense either?

But would not be surprising - for a car that still lacks basic features like playlists and waypoints - and has many drivers mounting their smartphones instead of using the car's built-in software.

Yes - it would be absurd, but did the recent UI changes for time, temperature and the media source selection make any sense either?

Oh, I sooo want to disagree with you. But I can't.

Absurd? Absolutely. Possible? Eminently.