Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any updates on FSD beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a FSD beta tester. They send us updates every 1-2 weeks. It continues to improve in various ways each update. Not ready for primetime today, but I have confidence that it will be in some form of public release before too long....perhaps with driver confirmation enabled for turns and stops. Driver confirmation not only helps keep the car from doing something dumb, but also keeps the driver engaged since FSD isn't totally trustworthy today.

Ratsbew... if you had to guess what month in 2021 will they release beta to public (with disclaimer that driver must pay attention 110% of the time to be ready make corrections and disengagements)?

Tesla
I'm a FSD beta tester. They send us updates every 1-2 weeks. It continues to improve in various ways each update. Not ready for primetime today, but I have confidence that it will be in some form of public release before too long....perhaps with driver confirmation enabled for turns and stops. Driver confirmation not only helps keep the car from doing something dumb, but also keeps the driver engaged since FSD isn't totally trustworthy today.

Ratsbew... if you had to guess what month in 2021 will they release beta to public (with disclaimer that driver must pay attention 110% of the time to be ready make corrections and disengagements)?

Tesla
No idea. I can't speak for the company or make guesses like that (proceeds to make a guess in the next sentence...). I think FSD could go public in Q1 if not for the 1% of people who will abuse it and not understand its limitations and the need to pay attention at all times.

I think they will be forced to release it with driver confirmations at first which a lot of people will complain about.

Any tech nerd should be in heaven with FSD in even its current form. It's the most advanced consumer technology in the world even if it isn't perfect.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Another thing that's a 100% guarantee that I stand behind....as soon as FSD goes to public release EVERY SINGLE PERSON will think of the #1 most difficult situation that they personally know of and attempt that as almost the very first thing. It's human nature to push the limits. Most people's regular drives won't challenge the system like this.

Reactions: Riguy
@ratsbew One of the things that impacted me more than once with Smart Summon, is when I've parked parallell to a curb on my passenger side (never tried drivers side) and attempted to Summon the car when Im somewhere in front of the car and to the right/pass side of the car. Twice the car pulled forward out of its space, but not far enough, turned to its right. Result: Rear passenger wheel went up and over the curb as it came to me. Has FSD improved Smart Summon any at all, or Smart Summon improvements not part of the FSD code yet? Also, any phantom braking at all since youve had FSD beta?

Last edited:
Reactions: alexgr
There was a lot of excitement when this got released a few months ago to some people. Looked promising. Haven’t heard much since then. Anyone have any updates on this?

They were all lies. There will be no FSD in the next several years. In "FSD" Beta, it's just testing some features on real roads. Even though the software is able to deal okay with most trivial situation, release it to a broader public and we may get into a lot of trouble on the roads. Remember Smart Summon and a lot of excitement? And how many people exactly are using it now? If I try to use it on a Costco parking lot, at best I will look like a jerk, at worst - I'll run into something or someone or block the road.

There has been a lot of press of the release of FSD for M3, and the monthly subscription. Is there any positive news for those of us who prepaid for FSD at the time of purchase (2018) and are patiently waiting for years?

There has been a lot of press of the release of FSD for M3, and the monthly subscription. Is there any positive news for those of us who prepaid for FSD at the time of purchase (2018) and are patiently waiting for years?

Not really. FSD Beta V9 is currently in limited beta testing. Elon said it will probably be V10 or more likely V11 before it gets released to the public. V10 or V11 will be when all the FSD features (Auto Park, Smart Summon, NOA, FSD Beta) will be unified under the same software. He thinks it will be roughly a month before V10 is ready. But it could be longer. We don't know. At this point, I don't think anybody can say for sure when FSD will be released to the public. It will depend on whenever Tesla feels it is ready and safe enough.