Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any updates on Plaid Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been waiting to see the details on the Plaid Model S which was promised this year before I make any decisions on my next vehicle. I have not seen any updates for a while on the Plaid Model S. Anyone know the latest ETA and possible pricing yet?

Elon said that the Plaid Model S would be in production this summer. So expect details much closer to then.

As far as pricing I would guess in the $125-150k range. But there hasn't been anything more official than more than the S now but less than the competition. (At least that is what I recall he said.)

Elon said that the Plaid Model S would be in production this summer. So expect details much closer to then.

As far as pricing I would guess in the $125-150k range. But there hasn't been anything more official than more than the S now but less than the competition. (At least that is what I recall he said.)

TESLA TIME = sometime between summer 2021 and 2022

Elon, when asked on twitter said: It is easier to make prototypes then it is to make production cars. Doesn't sound like good news. Might be lucky if this is ready by end of year, given that Model Y will have higher priority.
Elon Musk on Twitter

I have read this Twitter thread several times and it is not clear to me whether Elon is referring to production of the Model S Plaid or of the spacecraft. I am now leaning towards the spacecraft because the thread is talking about production of SN1 and Elon also mentions that they are at "almost three now" of the Starship tank dome production (at the beginning of the thread). It may be that the Model S Plaid is still on track for this summer.

I have read this Twitter thread several times and it is not clear to me whether Elon is referring to production of the Model S Plaid or of the spacecraft. I am now leaning towards the spacecraft because the thread is talking about production of SN1 and Elon also mentions that they are at "almost three now" of the Starship tank dome production (at the beginning of the thread). It may be that the Model S Plaid is still on track for this summer.
I don't think rockets are produced in volume.

• Disagree
Reactions: Brando
random thoughts on Plaid Model S

- Go after Porsche -$149,900 and maybe a Track version with - well you all can imagine your favorite parts and tires, roll cage?

- Braking: with two rear motors will regen perform near tire traction limits? i.e. drop the rear brakes and save weight?
We all know the front wheel brakes do most of the work and how much work does stability control and anti-lock do to keep wheels from locking up during braking? perhaps a smaller brake rotor in the rear to save weight? Model 3 rotor? You get the idea and of course safety always comes first.

- Rear electric motors with no gear reduction? saves weight & parts count? more reliable - again safety always first.
IF motors have enough torque without reduction gears (these also multiply torque) then top speed will be higher.
Seems during 60-70 mph traction control is limiting power to avoid wheel spin already.

I guess that about covers it. Next is the strategic part.
Two of the goals:
1- Stimulate Model S sales
2- Wait for Porsche to make the first moves to see how hard to push the limits to win. (or just match Porsche and then OTA later) :cool:

I think Tesla will offer this year. I would suspect much of the development done before Nurburgring.
Tesla/Elon wanted to put Porsche on notice. I think it worked.

random thoughts on Plaid Model S

- Go after Porsche -$149,900 and maybe a Track version with - well you all can imagine your favorite parts and tires, roll cage?

- Braking: with two rear motors will regen perform near tire traction limits? i.e. drop the rear brakes and save weight?
We all know the front wheel brakes do most of the work and how much work does stability control and anti-lock do to keep wheels from locking up during braking? perhaps a smaller brake rotor in the rear to save weight? Model 3 rotor? You get the idea and of course safety always comes first.

- Rear electric motors with no gear reduction? saves weight & parts count? more reliable - again safety always first.
IF motors have enough torque without reduction gears (these also multiply torque) then top speed will be higher.
Seems during 60-70 mph traction control is limiting power to avoid wheel spin already.

I guess that about covers it. Next is the strategic part.
Two of the goals:
1- Stimulate Model S sales
2- Wait for Porsche to make the first moves to see how hard to push the limits to win. (or just match Porsche and then OTA later) :cool:

I think Tesla will offer this year. I would suspect much of the development done before Nurburgring.
Tesla/Elon wanted to put Porsche on notice. I think it worked.
Dropping the rear brakes... on a track car where speed and braking are critical... glad you don’t work at tesla :)

This will take the place of my Roadster order since they will be virtually the same price.
The roadster is $200-$250k, which is well above the price of the Porsche "Turbo" EV. We haven't heard much about the Plaid S, but we do know 2 things: it will be tri-motor, and it will be "less than competitors", so I would imagine closer to $150k (or maybe even less).

Interesting thought re: dropping the rear brakes. But with so many things affecting the amount of regen available, that would be a tough safety proposition. Imagine really counting on regen for a hard stop when your battery is totally full or cold-soaked.

I've always thought Tesla should introduce a dummy load for the excess regen power to be dumped into when the battery is full or cold-soaked - to keep the regen feel consistent. A dummy load sure would help those who drive in a cold climate - pump the excess heat into the cabin!
But I'm sure any kind of load(resister) variable or otherwise would just add more weight and complexity.

• Helpful
Reactions: ChrML and Brando
I've always thought Tesla should introduce a dummy load for the excess regen power to be dumped into when the battery is full or cold-soaked - to keep the regen feel consistent. A dummy load sure would help those who drive in a cold climate - pump the excess heat into the cabin!
But I'm sure any kind of load(resister) variable or otherwise would just add more weight and complexity.
Absolutely, I've said the same.

Braking resistance for motors is not a new technology. It's used everywhere in the industry for inverter-driven motors connected to things with a large inertia. Could be used on a Tesla to dump the energy when you cannot charge the battery for various reasons, to make the driving consistent. Mount it in the cooling circuit and it will use the excessive regen energy to faster heat up the battery to quicker allow for actual regen charging.