Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Updates to Premium Sound in New 2016 Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some tests on the way in to work this morning. I rarely every turn the volume up on my system past 8, so going to 10 and 11 was a bit difficult on my tired ears and I couldn't take the SPL levels at that volume setting for very long. My quick observations were that the hiss in my situation depended on the particular audio track I was playing.

First as a test, I turned the volume up to 11 with music paused and there was absolutely no hiss or sound coming from the speakers. Next I tried various tracks and listened to content that has very sparse instrumentation and others that had a lot of musical content going on. On tracks where there was a lot of space between playing, there were varying levels of hiss. But to me it seemed as if it was more related to the noise floor of the recording, rather than the car system. When content was heavy, I could not notice any hiss at all.

My thoughts would be that the Tesla system is not going to be as quite as an audiophile system at home, but that the hiss level on good quality recordings should be tolerable at a volume of 10 or 11 with the high EQ turned up. Also I would say that there is audible hiss at high levels when there should be silence while running a track, but that audible hiss will be increased more if the noise floor of the particular track is high.

That being said, my ears probably have lost sensitivity above 12kHz or so, so I may not be hearing some more of the higher frequency hissing going on. Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for your input, I would say it is track related as well. I also believe that iTunes tracks are set at a slightly higher volume than Slacker per say.

Does anybody listen to classical music with the upgraded sound system in a Tesla? I took a test drive on a model X with standard sound yesterday, and as soon as I switched the standard rock from Internet streaming over to classical radio station KDFC, I had to turn it off immediately because it sounded worse than my MB standard audio with two speakers out. I'm about to order, and I'm doing a bare-bones car with only HEPA air filter + I think I'm going for sound. I'm trying to figure out if I'm just going to keep the radio off or get something I'll listen to, and the difference is whether or not I'll pay for it and still not listen to it (using classical music, not rock or new wave or anything the kids listen to (rap?)). Using my understanding of the depreciation schedule and how I drive, I'll have it between 2 and 3 years before I trade it in for whatever I can afford next (hopefully a used fully loaded CPO X because I love those, but maybe just another S, or a Model 3 if I'm doing terrible financially).

Last edited: