Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any US CCS updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really shocked that we haven't seen more of them show up on ebay. I haven't seen them for sale in the US anywhere, though.

I know. I looked a few minutes ago and didn't find a one. I mostly found various CCS Combo 2 adapters which are useless here of course. I also found a number of CHAdeMO adapters, but I'm not paying a King's Ransom to butt heads with Leaf drivers on maybe the ONE CHAdeMO charger at most stations, if it's working! 50kW isn't a problem, but availability is... EVGo should add more of these CHAdeMO/Tesla adapted chargers. I have used one so far with great results. EA and others could consider it as well, I suppose.

I know. I looked a few minutes ago and didn't find a one. I mostly found various CCS Combo 2 adapters which are useless here of course. I also found a number of CHAdeMO adapters, but I'm not paying a King's Ransom to butt heads with Leaf drivers on maybe the ONE CHAdeMO charger at most stations, if it's working! 50kW isn't a problem, but availability is... EVGo should add more of these CHAdeMO/Tesla adapted chargers. I have used one so far with great results. EA and others could consider it as well, I suppose.

It seems that at least one other is getting the idea. From West Coast Electric Highway to Receive Extensive Upgrade from EVCS : EVCS Blog

"This upgrade will replace existing CHAdeMO-only DC fast chargers with new DC fast chargers that have both CCS-combo and CHAdeMO DCFC charging capability, which will allow all Oregon EV drivers to use the WCEH stations. The existing Level 2 AC chargers will also be replaced with new equipment. Another new feature will be a 110V outlet for e-bikes and e-scooters. For Tesla drivers, a CHAdeMO adaptor will be available for use at all EVCS stations."

Not sure where they are getting the CHAdeMO adapters from - unless they have a special deal with Tesla.

Interestingly, with newer Teslas already coming equipped with CCS protocol compatible charge ports, all they really need is a Tesla "hose" that speaks CCS. No adapter needed. This would be nice as it would remove the kW limit of the adapters. Of course that won't work with older Teslas. So just to add to the confusion, they could have a case where stations have four hoses: Normal CCS, CCS with Tesla plug, normal CHAdeMO, and CHAdeMO adaptered Tesla...

Depends where are you living and where you going on trips. In Canada in BC and Alberta CHAdeMO a lot. Just check Alberta: Calgary 1.4m population- no any SC, Edmonton- 1m population - 1 SC!! What a joke! 🤣

Reactions: Falcon73
I also found a number of CHAdeMO adapters, but I'm not paying a King's Ransom to butt heads with Leaf drivers on maybe the ONE CHAdeMO charger at most stations, if it's working! 50kW isn't a problem, but availability is... EVGo should add more of these CHAdeMO/Tesla adapted chargers. I have used one so far with great results. EA and others could consider it as well, I suppose.
The only major provider in the US that is installing only 1 CHAdeMO handle at each site vs. multiple CCS is Electrify America. Nobody else is doing that, yet. The worst that I can think of is that it appears PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You has 27 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO. I was at their Gilroy site last night w/my Bolt and it has IIRC 15 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO. The 1 station with CHAdeMO was stuck on a text-based bootup screen, for some Unix flavor, I think.

And, soon, new EA sites outside CA will have 0 CHAdeMO handles.

As of a year ago, per Electrify America Outreach Webinar, EA had no intent to follow what EVgo is doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon73
This is an interesting article. It makes me wonder if Tesla SC's may eventually come with two cables here as they do in Europe (though it's not a direct comparison since EU uses CCS2 and the 3's & Y's there use it too).

Tesla applies to install Supercharger stations in Texas with CCS connectors

Tesla has applied to install Supercharger stations in Texas with CCS connectors, which would be a first in the US.

The move comes as Tesla is planning to open its Supercharger network to other automakers.

This is an interesting article. It makes me wonder if Tesla SC's may eventually come with two cables here as they do in Europe (though it's not a direct comparison since EU uses CCS2 and the 3's & Y's there use it too).

Tesla applies to install Supercharger stations in Texas with CCS connectors

I suspect that dual cables are in the future and CCS1 ports on future North American Tesla models. Right now, the added expense of making CCS capable superchargers is covered by the government grants. In the future if the government money goes away, the added expense of having both type of connectors will make no sense. At that point a choice will have to be made.

Keith

I suspect that dual cables are in the future and CCS1 ports on future North American Tesla models. Right now, the added expense of making CCS capable superchargers is covered by the government grants. In the future if the government money goes away, the added expense of having both type of connectors will make no sense. At that point a choice will have to be made.

Keith

I really doubt they would make future NA Tesla models CCS1, unless it was dual ports.

If you have firmware 2021.40.x, or higher, you can look in the vehicle information screen and see if it says "CCS Adapter Support: Enabled" (Or if it says "Not Installed".)

Excellent! I'm good to go.
@LoudMusic, what is the build date for your Y? I just updated to 2021.44.25.2 (with the refreshed UI changes) and our July 2021-built Y shows "CCS adapter support: Not installed". :confused:

August 2020. Strange you wouldn't have it.
I wonder if it was a parts shortage. Shrug.

I was looking forward to getting a CCS adapter but no point now. Still hoping this is some sort of reporting mistake. Again, July 2021 build date.

99F20D8B-A929-4D18-A3E4-8F5766C344FC.jpeg

If you had read the entire thread before commenting you would have seen it in post #43 that it doesn't work on the older cars but "should" work on the newer cars that have CCS charging enabled.

@JWardell Did you ever test it on a newer car?

Not physically (anyone with a 2021 in Boston?) but I confirmed it will work in other ways.
ANY straight through physical CCS adapter will work.

Reactions: DanDi58
I wonder if it was a parts shortage. Shrug.

I was looking forward to getting a CCS adapter but no point now. Still hoping this is some sort of reporting mistake. Again, July 2021 build date.

Sounds like there will be an option to enable the CCS adapter when it becomes available:

Reactions: FatherTo1