TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Any value in keeping AAA

Discussion in 'Model S' started by golfnut, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. golfnut

golfnut Member

Purchased my first Tesla last summer and have had nothing but good things to say about it. Have used AAA of CA for many years in the past and currently have a 2nd ICE car that might have some use for my membership. But if I sell that car this year, does anyone have, or keep their AAA membership with the Tesla service being there for us? Just planning ahead I guess.

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

So far I'm keeping my AAA. It isn't a big expense, and I see it as insurance against all the things Tesla's roadside assistance doesn't cover. Have you read through Tesla's terms? If you get a flat they only cover getting the car 50 miles of the way to a service center. They don't cover accidents or getting the car stuck. They don't cover getting you to a charger if you run out of charge. In practice Tesla RA may be lenient about these things — but on paper the policy wouldn't cover any of the things I've used AAA for in the past.

• Like x 2
  3. golfnut

golfnut Member

Thanks for your insights. I know the renewal fee is pretty small, but the new card for this year arrived right when I was faced with other expenses in my life and it fell into the "is it still worth it" pile. I also have considered the AAA discount program and there is some possible paybacks there.

4. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I still have my AAA family membership. Of course we also have ICE cars, so that probably doesn't help much.

5. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

• Informative x 1
  6. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I will be keeping my AAA membership. I actually use their hotel discounts fairly often when traveling, too.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Bishop

Bishop Member

i just used mine last week when i blew out a tire.. aside from that my wife and daughter have there own cars so i was gonna keep it anyway

8. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I blew a tire on the freeway last night, pouring rain and wind. Roadside assistance arrived in 30 mins, zip zip, my wheeel was swapped and I was on my way. No one beats RA for flats.

• Like x 1
  9. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

That depends on where you are. You would not have that experience in Charlottesville, VA. The nearest SvC is about 100 miles away and it is unlikely that any tow truck there would have a spare wheel on board.

• Like x 1
  10. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

They gave you a whole new wheel?

11. Barry

Barry Active Member

Me, too. But I recently got a premium Chase credit card that gives me a 33% discount on hotels when booked through their reward portal, so I may be reevaluating AAA again. However, I still order their tour books for time to time, and they recently added broken down bicycle coverage, and I do a lot of riding.

12. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Yes.
    Its the 2nd time I've had RA come curbside, and replace my wheel or in the first case wheels (2 blowouts) on the spot. I drive long distances and often with long days at the office. I couldn't feel any safe than having Tesla RA at my side. They always try avoid a tow unless you are very remote or have aftermarkets.

13. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I don't disagree. I only pointed out something favorable as an offset to the seemingly too often complaints.
    I stand by my statement though as delivering wheels if only 10-20-30-40-50 percent (or whatever it is) of the time, is still better than zero.

• Like x 2
  14. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

So how does that work? Do they take your wheel to a service center or some place and then have you swap it back once the tire has been repaired or a new tire has been mounted on it?

I ask out of curiosity. I don't see a wheel swap happening in my area if I should ever wind up in that situation.

15. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Yes, they swap it in minutes and take it to the SvC of my choice. The SvC contacts you with costs/options the next day. I've always had them replace the tires and then return to swap/balance etc which is a few more bucks than a tirerack prchase but far less hassle and worth it to me.

• Like x 1
  16. JPP

JPP Active Member

I have kept our AAA membership. Remember it covers you in another vehicle (rental, friend's car).

17. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

My AAA membership pays for itself in time avoiding the DMV lines and notary fees. Being able to be towed is just another bonus.

18. RobW2428

RobW2428 Member

What does AAA allow you to avoid?

19. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

20. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

If you need in-person DMV transactions (registration, lost stickers, titles, etc) you can do them at the AAA office in CA. The waits are MUCH shorter at least around here where you will spend several hours at the DMV.