Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any videos/guides on running wire for a rear camera right next to where current one is? For digital rearview mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my son the Wolfbox Mirror DashCam for his new Honda Civic. It is a digital mirror that has a front camera built in and a long cable for a rear camera. The mirror shows the live feed from the rear camera.

Decided to try it out in my 2019 model 3 since I have never liked the rearview mirror and hate the blindspots. This mirror/cam seems to solve those issues and offers a really nice view day and night. The dash cam itself would be backup to the main but as a rearview mirror, it does seem to be a big improvement.

I tried a few locations including behind the rear glass and the camera really does best when placed right next to the original camera above the license plate. I have been looking for guides/videos on how to get the cable outside to that spot and am failing. My temporary placement involved running wires out the window!

Appreciate any suggestions.

Conventional wisdom would say you should follow the factory wiring harness which comes down along the right side trunk hinge and into the trunk lid. I'd say that's a major undertaking since you'll probably have to remove the interior C pillar headliner in order to access the start of the wiring harness and the panel at the back of the trunk lid to get to the area where you might be able to drill a hole and mount your camera. Then more of the interior in order to get the camera cable up to the rear view mirror.

Aside: If I were to consider something like this (a rearview mirror camera), I'd try to find a good system that's designed into a license plate frame. A possible problem with that would be making sure that vibration is at an absolute minimum.

Thanks Ray
I found videos for the aftermarket power trunk and figured I could follow most of that to get the single wire through the right black plastic tubing (sorry - don't know proper name for that) and wondered if there was any play in the trunk release button to sneak the wire under/through there to the outside. I would prefer to not drill anything.
I did find one wireless 1080p camera that taps into the license plate light and broadcasts over 2.4GHz to the rear view mirror but figured if it was a robust system there would be lots of copycats on Amazon.