Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any views on Q3 Model Y suspension setup or differences from Q2 so far?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y suspension changes now “confirmed” via twotter. I’m guessing they’ve been offering new parts setups to test them on the vehicles of customers in the states who were unhappy and have now picked a revised part for production.

Whether this is the case for EU deliveries as of right now is anyones guess until confirmed though.

BB85D898-A1D8-4F68-BF55-2795B5071590.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Ricecooker
Model Y suspension changes now “confirmed” via twotter. I’m guessing they’ve been offering new parts setups to test them on the vehicles of customers in the states who were unhappy and have now picked a revised part for production.

Whether this is the case for EU deliveries as of right now is anyones guess until confirmed though.

View attachment 864832

Now we need to know if this is valid for future Q4 deliveries or if he includes Q3 ones also.

I've seen minimal differences with my September MYLR. It's still a very firm ride and you can feel every bump on the road...

Reactions: Andenan
Now we need to know if this is valid for future Q4 deliveries or if he includes Q3 ones also.

I've seen minimal differences with my September MYLR. It's still a very firm ride and you can feel every bump on the road...

I had a March22 MY and now have a Sept22 MY.

The new one has mildly softer suspension than the March version.

I ran the March version at 38psi to try and take the edge off the harsh ride, I don't need to do that with the Sept car.

It still is not a refined ride but it is improved.

Reactions: Andenan
I had a March22 MY and now have a Sept22 MY.

The new one has mildly softer suspension than the March version.

I ran the March version at 38psi to try and take the edge off the harsh ride, I don't need to do that with the Sept car.

It still is not a refined ride but it is improved.
Until people get underneath them and post part numbers to compare, it's all a bit speculative and woolly. We know there are a number of revised parts numbers that customers have been offered in the states for the rears, but nothing solid in RHD cars (apart from the difference between LR and P).

Funny one too because those who were happy with their suspension from the off don't care, but I'd imagine those who were not happy or still aren't - might be banging on the SC door asking for a retrofit.

I'm in the former camp but I'm just interested what changes they're making and why. I'd be happy to set up a spreadsheet or doc if people want to give their build date and suspension part numbers so we can compare any real differences and see if there is some consistency.

Reactions: kcrane
Until people get underneath them and post part numbers to compare, it's all a bit speculative and woolly. We know there are a number of revised parts numbers that customers have been offered in the states for the rears, but nothing solid in RHD cars (apart from the difference between LR and P).

Funny one too because those who were happy with their suspension from the off don't care, but I'd imagine those who were not happy or still aren't - might be banging on the SC door asking for a retrofit.

I'm in the former camp but I'm just interested what changes they're making and why. I'd be happy to set up a spreadsheet or doc if people want to give their build date and suspension part numbers so we can compare any real differences and see if there is some consistency.

Yes, that’s true.

I was in the second camp, not happy with the earlier car but happy now. Could be subjective, for example maybe the suspension noise has reduced and I mistake it for improved ride.

We currently have both a March 22 and September 22 MY LR and I often drive them both daily back-to-back.

For sure the September car rides significantly better i.e. more compliant and settled over bumps. It's not that our March MY is particularly harsh, but it is certainly a bit more jittery over bumps than say our 2021 M3 LR. Whereas I would say our September MY rides at least as well as our M3, which was really good.

So in summary I would say Tesla have now fully addressed the MY "harsh riding" complaints that will no doubt still haunt them on the internet for years to come! 😀

Until people get underneath them and post part numbers to compare, it's all a bit speculative and woolly.
I could very well do that with both our March and September MYs, but I can't be arsed. But I am 100% sure that our later car has a more compliant ride. I noticed it without even being aware of any factory spec changes in the suspension. Even my wife noticed it immediately on her first drive of the newer car. Being an automotive engineer I just presumed they had tweaked damper valving and/or spring rates to improve ride comfort.

Well I have a Sept MYLR and it's as firm as our old Mini, and that's not a compliment..
All depends what your idea of "firm" is. If you are looking for a super-soft floaty kind of ride, then the MY is not going to be your best option. But it handles much better than a typical soft riding SUV. Having said that we had a Nissan Qashqai that had a harsher ride than either of our MYs and it wasn't too bad to live with. I've had much worse rides from the likes of BMW and Audi in the past, although unfair to compare much older cars.

I would rate the MY as being firm, but certainly not harsh riding (especially in latest spec). If I specifically valued a softer ride I would be looking elsewere.

All depends what your idea of "firm" is. If you are looking for a super-soft floaty kind of ride, then the MY is not going to be your best option. But it handles much better than a typical soft riding SUV. Having said that we had a Nissan Qashqai that had a harsher ride than either of our MYs and it wasn't too bad to live with. I've had much worse rides from the likes of BMW and Audi in the past, although unfair to compare much older cars.

I would rate the MY as being firm, but certainly not harsh riding (especially in latest spec). If I specifically valued a softer ride I would be looking elsewere.
Yes I'm not expecting a magic carpet ride similar to a RR, but I had a Disco before so I know I've been used to a certain comfort.
Now I feel like I'm being shaken sideways whenever I pass a speed bump above 5mph...

Yes I'm not expecting a magic carpet ride similar to a RR, but I had a Disco before so I know I've been used to a certain comfort.
Now I feel like I'm being shaken sideways whenever I pass a speed bump above 5mph...
It's bound to feel harsh over speed bumps compared to a Disco. I find the ride on the MY actually improves at higher speeds. For example, we have a stretch of road going into Buckingham from Stowe (anyone local will know this well) that is full of undulating rythmic bumps that unsettle most cars quite badly. If I drive this road at say 40 mph it can feel quite unsettled (as it does in most other cars too), but at around 60 mph it calms down significantly in the MY. The only other sporty car I've owned that coped so well with this road was a 2010 Porsche 911. So I think the MY is in good company there. Following all sorts of other cars down that road shows how bad it can be. I did test drive a Disco Sport a few years ago and the ride on that was super smooth in comparison, but then the handling is like a sofa too. So you can't have it both ways without resorting to expensive active ride - especially with relatively heavy EVs.

Reactions: WllXM
As stated above, people perception on harsh ride and bumpy/crasahy is massively subjective, i test drove the Model 3 performance on 20's and it felt extreamly soft and comfortable.

I had just got out of my audi S7 on 21's so completely subjective.
Exactly!

The motoring press decided to slate the original MY suspension to varying degrees (generally calling it too harsh etc) and that seems to have gotten into people's heads before they even sit in the car.

Now I have no idea what those early press cars were actually like (maybe they really were bone shakers?), but neither of our MYs stand out as being particularly harsh riding cars. All I can say is that our March 22 MY is a little harsher riding than either our '21 M3 LR or latest Sep 22 MY. The last 2 being very similar in ride quality (as you might well expect had you not read anything untoward in the press)

I came from a 2013 Prius to the MY and find the MY much more composed over potholes/speedbumps despite having firmer suspension. The Prius was quite soft and rolled from side to side, whereas the MY is perhaps more 'severe' but on balance handles things much better I would say.

I was quite worried that the ride would be too harsh based on the reviews, which contributed to my decision to get Geminis, but it's better than I expected. (Also happy with the Geminis as I think they also look better IRL and I won't care so much when they inevitably get scuffed!)

In my opinion, my car is a lot better at speedbumps and potholes than I was expecting (and better than my model 3 with 19" wheels BUT where it completely fails to feel like a £60K+ car is on smooth roads where it should have no issues.
On the motorway, every little expansion gap or minor imperfection (and I'm talking minor) reverberates up the whole car and feels like a proper bump in the road.
I'm definitely in the "hoping for a retrofit at some point" camp