Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any volt owners that charge both cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a model S and charge it with a NEMA 14-50 (50A) outlet in my garage.

We're considering getting a Volt as a second car. Chevrolet tells us the only way to charge the volt @240v, requires installing a $2,300 charger in our garage.

Two questions if anyone has knowledge in this area:

1) Would the tesla charge cable + the J1772 adapter work on a Volt? Has anyone tried it?

2) Is there an alternative option to charging the volt via my NEMA 14-50 outlet (50A) without buying an expensive charger?

Thanks!

We're considering getting a Volt as a second car. Chevrolet tells us the only way to charge the volt @240v, requires installing a $2,300 charger in our garage.

1) Would the tesla charge cable + the J1772 adapter work on a Volt? Has anyone tried it?

2) Is there an alternative option to charging the volt via my NEMA 14-50 outlet (50A) without buying an expensive charger?

Thanks!

I own a Volt, I have to ask though what charger is Chevy telling you that you need?

I wish I could answer your first question though, but alas, I don't know what the adapter looks like to tell you one way or the other.

Regarding the second question. Not that I am aware of, I suppose you could buy one of the Level 2 chargers and put a NEMA 14-50 plug on it the problem being the input amperage I think is to high at 50amps. Since the Volt can only charge at 3.3kwh max at 240v there isn't any reason to invest in a pricy Level 2 J1772 station.

Jeff

The Tesla J1772 adapter adapts a J1772 charge cable end to the Tesla chargeport. The Tesla charge cable is nowhere in the mix.

There is no adapter to reverse the Tesla-proprietary UMC/charge cable end to the standard J1772 port in the Volt.

As for a Level 2 charger for your Volt, this one's a lot cheaper and should work:

GE WattStation Wall Mount - Level 2 EV Charger - 7.2kW, 30A : Amazon.com : Automotive

We have both.
The adapter really doesn't work that way as it is designed to allow a J1772 charge cable to be plugged into the Model S, it won't allow the Model S cable to plug into the Volt.

We have the same setup as you, with one NEMA 14-50 for the Model S. For the Volt, we just plug it in to a 20 amp outlet (central vac plug which isn't used).
It charges from empty to full in about 9-10 hours. It really doesn't matter to us if it finishes charging at 1 in the morning or 6, so why pay the extra?

With the 2013 Volts, it will default to 8 amp charging, so if you have good wiring, make sure to switch it to 12.

You can use this for your Volt: EVSEUpgrade.com

I have one. It wont work for your Model S, but it will work for your Volt from a 240V. It charges at 16A, so it will supply the max 3.3kW that your Volt can take.

- - - Updated - - -

Other threads on the topic:
Model S with GE Wattstation
Residential J1772 Stations

I have a Volt. Getting an MS next month or whenever Tesla sees fit to build my car :)

Having 2 separate EVSEs will allow you to charge the max you can from a 14-50. However, if you don't want to have to keep plugging and unplugging different EVSEs, then you get a J1772 that can work for both (the MS via the adapter). I'm planning to get the GE Wattstation for reasons cited in the thread above. Now, there are quite a few that you can get, all MUCH less than $2000 and much better than the one Chevy resells/recommends.

As noted in one of the threads, if you really want to get the max charge rate for the MS, then you will want to get an EVSE that can support at least 40A continuous if you ordered the single onboard charger, and 80A if you got the double onboard chargers.

But note most residential J1772 EVSEs available only go to 30A (7.2kW). But there are a few (Eaton, ClipperCreek, Leviton) that go higher.

We have both.
The adapter really doesn't work that way as it is designed to allow a J1772 charge cable to be plugged into the Model S, it won't allow the Model S cable to plug into the Volt.

We have the same setup as you, with one NEMA 14-50 for the Model S. For the Volt, we just plug it in to a 20 amp outlet (central vac plug which isn't used).
It charges from empty to full in about 9-10 hours. It really doesn't matter to us if it finishes charging at 1 in the morning or 6, so why pay the extra?

With the 2013 Volts, it will default to 8 amp charging, so if you have good wiring, make sure to switch it to 12.

I just realized I asked a stupid question (#1). For some reason I had it reversed in my mind :)

Thanks for all the tips/advice so far!

I own both. I use the NEMA 14-50 for the Model S and a Chargepoint charger for the Volt. If you live in California you can probably get the Chargepoint charger for free. I used the place that Chevy recommends and got the charger and most of the install paid for.

I have a Volt and you do not need a 240v station, the car includes a 120v charger that you can plug into any wall outlet (15 amp circuit). I have used both, it takes about 4 hours to charge completely on 240v and 8 hours on 120v. If you plan on charging at night, the 120v charger should be plenty.

I have a Volt and you do not need a 240v station, the car includes a 120v charger that you can plug into any wall outlet (15 amp circuit). I have used both, it takes about 4 hours to charge completely on 240v and 8 hours on 120v. If you plan on charging at night, the 120v charger should be plenty.

That depends on a number of factors. The OP lives in CA which means he\she is on tiered electric rates which depending on which tier it is probably beneficial to charge during the off peak times. The off peak time period I believe is exactly 8hrs (haven't looked in awhile... :)). If the car gets home anytime after the start time (I think 11PM) then it wouldn't finish charging in time, depending on if the battery was fully drained or not. In addition, and this is something I have run into which is why I'm having a 240v put in, on the weekends if you go anywhere then come home and want to go anywhere again you are in a much better situation with the 240v charger to top the battery off.

Granted, "need" is different from person to person. My wife and I have found on multiple occasions, especially on weekends, we wish we had the 240v option. With the upcoming new EV rate schedule from PG&E it'll be that much more important to fit your full charge into the off peak window to maximize the cost benefits.

Jeff

That depends on a number of factors. The OP lives in CA which means he\she is on tiered electric rates which depending on which tier it is probably beneficial to charge during the off peak times. The off peak time period I believe is exactly 8hrs (haven't looked in awhile... :)). If the car gets home anytime after the start time (I think 11PM) then it wouldn't finish charging in time, depending on if the battery was fully drained or not. In addition, and this is something I have run into which is why I'm having a 240v put in, on the weekends if you go anywhere then come home and want to go anywhere again you are in a much better situation with the 240v charger to top the battery off.

Granted, "need" is different from person to person. My wife and I have found on multiple occasions, especially on weekends, we wish we had the 240v option. With the upcoming new EV rate schedule from PG&E it'll be that much more important to fit your full charge into the off peak window to maximize the cost benefits.

Jeff

In Wisconsin we have time of use rates too, not as crazy as California but similar. I installed the 240v charger in my home when I got the Volt, and haven't really needed it except for the rare weekend runs as you mentioned. Just though I would give my opinion, what are they going to gain from spending $2,300 installing a charger? $25/year in gas?

In Wisconsin we have time of use rates too, not as crazy as California but similar. I installed the 240v charger in my home when I got the Volt, and haven't really needed it except for the rare weekend runs as you mentioned. Just though I would give my opinion, what are they going to gain from spending $2,300 installing a charger? $25/year in gas?

Great question, $2,300 seems to be extremely high. All they need is the Voltec charger which, even if you paid to have it installed, shouldn't touch the $2,300 mark.

On the tiered rates part, my apologies there. I have only lived in KS and CA and in KS I was on a fix per kwh rate so having only experienced tiered rates in CA I am a bit ignorant to how pervasive they are nationwide.

Jeff

I have a Volt. you can buy a charger anywhere from $500 (factory recommend but crappy) to $1,100.
I think $2,300 number includes city permit, labor and parts for running a 240v 14-50 socket..

here is a review of 240v charger with J1772:
http://www.ssmorol.com/volt/evchargers.htm

all you need is a 240v 14-50 sockets, run a 32 amps charger from the list above, you can charger both Tesla (using J1772 adapter) and Volt.
or if you want to charge both at the same time, install 2 14-50 sockets, run UMC cable on one, and a 32 amp charger on the other socket.

Thanks!

Chevrolet is wrong. You can buy something called an EVSE Upgrade for less than $1,000. It's a modified Leaf charger that also works with the Volt. I have one. With it I can charge the Volt at 240V or 120. I also have my curbside charging station set up with a 14-50 receptacle and an adapter that enables me to use it with the EVSE upgrade. It works off a 240V 50 amp line. When my Model S is delivered in April/May Ill be able to charge both cars without a problem.

I will do the same. My 2102 Volt does fine on the 120V/15 amp circuit. My plan is a simple NEMA 14-50 for the MS. I once considered a Level 2 charger for my Volt, but why bother with the cost? 120V works just fine (so far). My time of use electrical rate is 7pm to 7 AM and all day on Sat/Sun. The Volt can be programed to charge at different times on different days. The Volt can start and stop charging via on board computer.