Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Volt to Model 3 Experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was curious if there were any Gen 2 Volt owners that went to the Model 3. If so what were the pros, cons, driving differences? Currently drive a 2016 Volt LT and will mostly miss the regen paddle if I move to another EV vehicle.

Recently saw the vehicle in person in the meatpacking district in NYC after receiving the invite to configure (non-owner, NY).

• Helpful
Reactions: xav-
I own both. These are radically different cars. The Model 3 handles like a sports car.. the volt handles very poorly. My 4,400 lbs Altima Hybrid handled better than the Volt.

Then what really suck on the volt LT is rear visibility. It’s just terrible. It’s much better on the model 3. Front visibility is better on the 3 as well.

The other problem with the volt LT is the complete lack of safety features like AEB.

You will quickly come to the conclusion that those regen paddles are completely useless when you drive the 3.

The con is it’s more expensive. The pros are everything else you can imagine. But again it’s much more expensive so I am not necessarily throwing the volt under the bus.

If you want to think about the model 3.. think about an electric bmw 3 series.

I still own a 2016 Volt Premier (wife's car) and sold my 2012 Volt when I got the Model 3.

Driving: Model 3 acceleration is, of course, way better. Regen actually feels pretty close, but I think the Volt can do 60kW peak (high speed braking + paddle) and the Model 3 is maybe 47kw max? I never liked the Volt regen paddle since you can't modulate it and I don't miss it at all. Having it all attached to the accelerator peddle makes for much smoother driving once you re-calibrate yourself, but I still wish there was an option for more, maybe 90kW, like the Bolt. Autopilot is awesome as long as your expectations align with its capabilities. The Volt definitely wins on rear-view mirror visibility, but the Model 3 is fine there. They're pretty comparable to me in road noise and ride quality.

Long-distance travel: Supercharging is a compromise when compared to the convenience, speed, and availability of gasoline. I'm okay with the compromise, but I can understand how it's still not for everyone, especially in areas that don't have as much charging as here in CA. On a recent hiking trip into the middle of nowhere, I had to put significantly more thought into the route planning and had to stick with major roads which added even more time on top of the added charging time. To reduce the added time, you want to stay in hotels that have charging (which often cost more) and eat while Supercharging (which are often meh chain restaurants).

Interior: Model 3 is my favorite interior of any car. Driver and passenger space is awesome. The glass roof is great. It's solid and, so far, doesn't rattle.

Storage: Model 3 definitely has more overall storage with the seats folded down, but I miss the versatility of a hatchback.

Infotainment: For my needs, Android Auto in the Volt is the best infotainment system on the market, but I like the Tesla system well enough. It's nice not having to connect my phone to use it, but Tesla has the downside of being tied to AT&T, which doesn't have service near my work. I wish I could choose my data provider, but at least it's free for now. The premium audio system in the Model 3 sounds excellent as well and far exceeds the premium system in the Volt.

... the volt handles very poorly. My 4,400 lbs Altima Hybrid handled better than the Volt. ...

I have lapped both the 2011-2015 and 2016-2018 Volts at multiple Autocross tracks. It's fairly well balanced and has good slalom speed. I can even induce oversteer if I like. Understeer is not a problem for me like it is with Altimas.

I'm going to say your problem with the Volt's handling is you forgot to turn off the baby sitter.

The ACC/FCW/AEB/FAB systems on the Volts are very good. Even the IIHS rates them as Superior: 2017 Chevrolet Volt

The 2017 Volt Premier with all options, after all California taxes and all incentives, was $28,xxx OTD.

Obviously I think the Model 3 will be superior to the Volt or I would not have waited 777 days for a Model 3. I would not wait 7 hours for a Nissan to be frank.

Reactions: jsmay311 and pdxrob
New I was in a Get 2 Volt that was an Uber. I am 6' and sitting in the back which was really tight with no headroom.

The rear seating position in both vehicles is quite compromised. In the Volt the hatchback glass/frame extends too far forward so folks who are ~6'0" start to hit their head. However the seats are fairly comfortable though cramped. In the 3 Tesla seems to have "solved" the headroom issue in midsized sedans by dropping the seat by 4"ish. This leaves you will ample headroom, but awkwardly elevates your knees, so all you weight is in your upper thigh and butt. I wouldn't want to road trip in either vehicle, but would be fine having kids in either.

Full disclosure: I'm a Volt shill :) (e.g. happy owner). I don't own a 3 but have played around in showroom.

Reactions: rabar10
Model 3 acceleration is, of course, way better. Regen actually feels pretty close, but I think the Volt can do 60kW peak (high speed braking + paddle) and the Model 3 is maybe 47kw max? I never liked the Volt regen paddle since you can't modulate it and I don't miss it at all. Having it all attached to the accelerator peddle makes for much smoother driving once you re-calibrate yourself, but I still wish there was an option for more, maybe 90kW, like the Bolt.
The Bolt EV regen is limited to 70 kW. A big regen improvement on the Bolt is that it can bring the car to a full stop and hold it even on modest inclines without friction brakes. Unlike the Volt’s unmodulated steering wheel regen, on the Bolt the regen paddle just increases regen strength but the resulting amount can be fully modulated by the accelerator pedal.

My 16 Gen2 Volt Premier w safety is a great car and does it’s job well. It was my proof of concept for the 3, but then I bought a MS75D. Regen differences took some time to adjust but I now prefer the S. CarPlay was great but Tesla systems have also grown on me. I can finally fit golf clubs without folding the seats.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I literally lol'd at this.
Maybe driving the 3 has influenced me too negatively on this. I realize handling may not be as bad as I described. The car feels heavy to me. It’s hard to believe that the Model 3 is 300 lbs heavier. But as I mentioned the volt is also so much cheaper.

I can’t imagine how the $35k model 3 which is also 300 lbs lighter is going to handle!

We have a Volt, and I found that I liked it more than I expected, but the Model 3 totally blows it away.

I love the wide open field of view, acceleration, styling, and little radar lines that help me park in the Tesla. I miss the heated steering wheel, WiFi hotspot, and the ability to do anything with the music on my phone other than hit “play” from the Volt. (Seriously, the media player on the Model 3 is worse than my old 2006 Prius had.)

They’re different categories of car though; I’m happy with both, but I’m still giddy I get to drive the Model 3 every day.

It's probably not worth talking about it on a forum dedicated to one of the two brands :), but personally I think it depends on your priorities.

Things that I like more on the Volt Premier (keeping in mind that I've only played with a showroom Model 3):
  • Google Play Music / Apple CarPlay are available and really awesome (but I am nervous about long term support / improvements)
  • Hatchback
  • Interior finishes - this will be contentious, but I prefer the leather work in the Volt, the wood accents are certainly pretty nice on the 3, the plastics are moderately better feel/finish on the 3 so it depends on your priorities, I care about the leather feel more
  • I like buttons for some things, I know I know I'm wrong ;)
  • Tow hitch available (although trailer towing isn't warranty supported AFAIK)
  • More affordable out the door, probably more affordable with any reasonable real cost of ownership comparison
  • Repair availability
Things that I think are better on the Model 3:
  • Electric range (duh)
  • Performance and handling (duh, but just guessing from reviews)
  • Both interior and exterior styling (duh)
  • Assisted driver functionality (duh)
  • Built-in software (duh)
  • Options options options (though expensive)
  • More storage space (though less contiguous)
  • Better for long loads
  • Back seats are better but still uncomfortable for adults
  • Longer term software updates (GM uses it as a cost center)
  • I frankly hate all the brands involved in the Volt: GM, Sirius, and OnStar
Important things I don't know about:
  • Road noise
  • Sound quality
  • Phone use
  • Long term reliability

Reactions: jsmay311
It's probably not worth talking about it on a forum dedicated to one of the two brands :), but personally I think it depends on your priorities.

Things that I like more on the Volt Premier (keeping in mind that I've only played with a showroom Model 3):
  • Google Play Music / Apple CarPlay are available and really awesome (but I am nervous about long term support / improvements)
  • Hatchback
  • Interior finishes - this will be contentious, but I prefer the leather work in the Volt, the wood accents are certainly pretty nice on the 3, the plastics are moderately better feel/finish on the 3 so it depends on your priorities, I care about the leather feel more
  • I like buttons for some things, I know I know I'm wrong ;)
  • Tow hitch available (although trailer towing isn't warranty supported AFAIK)
  • More affordable out the door, probably more affordable with any reasonable real cost of ownership comparison
  • Repair availability
Things that I think are better on the Model 3:
  • Electric range (duh)
  • Performance and handling (duh, but just guessing from reviews)
  • Both interior and exterior styling (duh)
  • Assisted driver functionality (duh)
  • Built-in software (duh)
  • Options options options (though expensive)
  • More storage space (though less contiguous)
  • Better for long loads
  • Back seats are better but still uncomfortable for adults
  • Longer term software updates (GM uses it as a cost center)
  • I frankly hate all the brands involved in the Volt: GM, Sirius, and OnStar
Important things I don't know about:
  • Road noise
  • Sound quality
  • Phone use
  • Long term reliability

Agreed with almost all of this. The Model 3 advantages are pretty well covered. But I'll add a few more Volt advantages that I ddin't see mentioned:

Objective:
  • HEATED STEERING WHEEL
  • Reliable key fob
  • Near-zero vampire drain
  • Quieter cabin on highway (a bit)
  • Available blind-spot detection (Sorry, the squiggly lines around the car on the Model 3 screen don't count.)
  • Available rear cross-traffic alert
  • AM/Sat radio
Subjective:
  • General controls:
    • Windshield wiper controls on stalks (not touchscreen)
    • Ability to change audio source from steering wheel buttons (not touchscreen)
    • Knobs for climate temp and fan speed (not touchscreen)
  • 2nd screen behind steering wheel
  • Framed doors (better for snow/ice)
  • Driver's seating position (it's obviously a matter of personal preference, but the Model 3's high floor puts your feet rather high up relative to your butt, which I don't love.)

Reactions: pdxrob
Windshield wiper controls on stalks (not touchscreen)

Minor point that auto-wiping is available now and single wipe action is available on the stalk. I still would prefer to see more options via the stalk.

Not having XM is a huge plus for me. I'm so sick of being held hostage by XM to get traffic on my navigation. My phone has all the audio options I need.

Agreed, but since I only use Android Auto for navigation I don't have this issue. I do have the issue that you can't turn off Sirius traffic alerts :/ .