Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to dispute FSD strike?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got a false strike today. Driving on freeway, eyes were on road, hands on steering wheel. Screen flashes blue once AND THEN IMMEDIATELY throws me out of autopilot. I even confirmed with my passenger that the autopilot ejection was immediate.

Is there any way to dispute this or at least give some feedback to Tesla? It was my fifth strike so no beta FSD for me which really sucks.

Before anyone asks, here is my setup:
2022 Model 3 LR
Was wearing hat and sunglasses
Time was noon

So I got a false strike today. Driving on freeway, eyes were on road, hands on steering wheel. Screen flashes blue once AND THEN IMMEDIATELY throws me out of autopilot. I even confirmed with my passenger that the autopilot ejection was immediate.

Is there any way to dispute this or at least give some feedback to Tesla? It was my fifth strike so no beta FSD for me which really sucks.

2022 Model 3 LR
Time was noon
I've had 4 of these exact strikes across our 2 cars, all since 10.12 was released. I've flagged it each time by tapping the "camera" and sent emails to FSDBeta each time begging them to look at the footage, with no response. The last one resulted in me being suspended from FSD on one of the cars. SO very frustrating, especially when you feel like you were being a very good boy, still got punished, and there seems to be no remedy.

Reactions: MTOman
  1. Press and hold the Advanced Button for 5 minutes
  2. Get out the car and wait 30 minutes
  3. Get back in and then quickly press the Advanced Button repeatedly 10 times
  4. Press the Voice Button and say "Bug Report: I have been wronged. Please remove the unwanted strike against me"
  5. In the Service Menu select Power Off and exit car and MOST important let it sit undisturbed for 2 weeks

People have got to start running GoPros and show these false strikes. The people want to know. We need documented evidence to show Tesla that their system is messed up!

I have never had a strike and I only see the flashing blue screen when the car quickly reaches a high degree of uncertainty (I basically never even see the “apply slight torque” nag either, and haven’t seen the eyes on the road nag for about 6 months).

I really want to see a strike happen and all the lead up to it. I’m trying to reconcile what I have seen with what is reported here. I guess extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence?

Last edited:
People have got to start running GoPros and show these false strikes. The people want to know. We need documented evidence to show Tesla that their system is messed up!

I have never had a strike and I only see the flashing blue screen when the car quickly reaches a high degree of uncertainty (I basically never even see the “apply slight torque” nag either, and haven’t seen the eyes on the road nag for about 6 months).

I really want to see a strike happen and all the lead up to it.
I think several people have hardware issues, and need to get them fixed. However, some don't want to go through the hassle, even given suggestions. Can't help those people.

For those willing to try to fix the problem:

1) Reboot your car - I recommend the brake pedal method
2) Drive towards a multilane freeway/highway with well marked lanes
3) Just before the entrance, put the car in park and go into Settings - Service and initiate a camera recalibration.
4) Enter the freeway/highway and drive in the middle lane until the cameras are recalibrated (usually 5-10 miles)
5) Exit the freeway and find a place to park - go into Settings - Autopilot and reset all your settings (many get turned off when you re-calibrate).

If your problem persists (pay attention warnings, wheel torque warnings even when you're applying torque), press the Voice button (right wheel) and say "bug report" and make a note of the date/time). Open a service ticket and tell them the problem and the date/time of your bug report. They will run a diagnostic and hopefully find the problem. Some people have had cabin camera problems which were replaced by service. Some had steering wheel replacements due to faulty wiring harnesses.

1. Press and hold the Advanced Button for 5 minutes
  2. Get out the car and wait 30 minutes
  3. Get back in and then quickly press the Advanced Button repeatedly 10 times
  4. Press the Voice Button and say "Bug Report: I have been wronged. Please remove the unwanted strike against me"
  5. In the Service Menu select Power Off and exit car and MOST important let it sit undisturbed for 2 weeks

Lol.... 😁

You really needed to put a /sarcasm tag on this, cause I know there had to be at least a few people printing this out and heading out to the car to try it, at least until they got to the "car must sit off for two weeks" statement.

• Funny
Reactions: Cooker and enemji

2022 Model 3 LR
Time was noon
You have to tweet Elon.

Moved to this thread...

when it gives the beeps without blue for sure, and with very short time from pulling on the wheel. Something on the system craps out and the wheel-on-hand detection goes haywire.
This is normal when the system freaks out and does not result in strikes.
the current AP jail feature?
Problem with this is it is so easy to exit if not on the freeway. It is like get out of jail free.
There are plenty of people posting about unprovoked strikes. Seek and ye shall find.
Oh I know people are getting strikes, just not sure how many of them are unprovoked. Clearly some are, for whatever reason; maybe one day I'll get one and then I'll know. Getting four passes is a lot of opportunities to work out what the system wants to see, in any case.
but it feels like FSD has improved enough that we can move to a less punitive way to offer that deterrence, like AP jail as others have mentioned.

I think it is plenty dangerous enough still, to make having hands on the wheel and eyes on the road a requirement and include strong incentives to make sure that drivers do that.

Nothing should be punitive. It just needs to remove the convenience feature (where some driving tasks are automated), where attention is going to be essential. It definitely is essential that all safety features still be present, no matter the strike count, so that drivers can benefit from them. This should be possible to do and you can see Tesla continuing to develop these features for all (basically you get what people who don't have FSD get - which is all the safety features to prevent accidents).

I'd also be fine to have a separate system for City Streets and NoA (basically have NoA & Autosteer still available if City Streets is struck out, and Autosteer on freeways would be controlled by the autopilot jail rules, as it is now).

It'll be interesting to see what they do.
Really? Forever ban for something you paid 10k for? I think removing one strike every 3-4 months is reasonable.
No, not suggesting a forever ban under any circumstances. People should get FSD once it's available! I'm just saying that during the testing phase this is reasonable. After it's available, I think a rolling strike removal makes a lot of sense, as long as it is done at a rate that does not allow consistent abuse (abuse should render the system unusable). I think time-based is better than mileage-based (don't want to encourage users to put in a lot of unnecessary (unsafe!) miles just to get the convenience feature back).

Obviously the the solution is to stop the tug nag and just use the camera.
This is clearly not sufficient; here's an example from me, from yesterday, where not having hands on the wheel would have made properly & legally completing the maneuver difficult (it was difficult enough to make the turn with hands on the wheel!). Remember: Wrong thing, worst time.

Hands (at least one, preferably both) must be on the wheel, eyes must be on the road. Always.

Last edited:
This is clearly not sufficient; here's an example from me, from yesterday, where not having hands on the wheel would have made properly & legally completing the maneuver difficult (it was difficult enough to make the turn with hands on the wheel!). Remember: Wrong thing, worst time.

Hands (at least one, preferably both) must be on the wheel, eyes must be on the road. Always.
Absolutely. Hands on the wheel always.

But unfortunately, that is not what the tug is testing for.

But unfortunately, that is not what the tug is testing for.
No, but the requirement is to have hands on the wheel. The tug is an unfortunate implementation by Tesla, but using the cabin camera will not work to keep user hands on the wheel (it can’t see the steering wheel so can only guess at hand positions - though it can sometimes say when they are definitely NOT on the wheel, it cannot determine when they are on the wheel).

So there is no choice but to keep the tug, which will ensure that one hand is on the wheel or otherwise fiddling with the wheel, at least some of the time.

So, no other choice but to keep it and hope it works as a partial solution (perhaps also checking for hands with the camera to provide additional coverage).

So there is no choice but to keep the tug, which will ensure that one hand is on the wheel or otherwise fiddling with the wheel, at least some of the time.
Not so sure about it - but yes, it will help with people who are really callous and won't put their hands on the wheel unless nagged (and even then try to use some cheap defeat).

But the current implementation can lead to strikes because we are concentrating on the road and not on the screen.

I think it is plenty dangerous enough still, to make having hands on the wheel and eyes on the road a requirement and include strong incentives to make sure that drivers do that.
What metric(s) are you using to substantiate your claim(s) that FSD beta is "plenty dangerous enough still" and to support your contention that Tesla should not reset the number of strikes?

If there are facts to support your claims, then what is Elon's/Tesla's incentive to reset the number of strikes? It would seem (to me at least) that the risk to Tesla (i.e., the risk of additional government scrutiny, bad publicity, etc. if there was a fatal accident involving an FSD beta driver - especially a driver who had 5 strikes in the FSD beta program and regained the testing privilege because of a reset) would FAR outweigh the minimal reward (to the extent there is any reward) of resetting the number of strikes.

If there are facts to support your claims, then what is Elon's/Tesla's incentive to reset the number of strikes? It would seem (to me at least) that the risk to Tesla (i.e., the risk of additional government scrutiny, bad publicity, etc. if there was a fatal accident involving an FSD beta driver - especially a driver who had 5 strikes in the FSD beta program and regained the testing privilege because of a reset) would FAR outweigh the minimal reward (to the extent there is any reward) of resetting the number of strikes.
I have no idea what the incentive is except to stop people from badgering him. They have plenty of testers without letting more people back in. Your hypothetical is what I would be concerned about. Seems like quite a good possibility.
What metric(s) are you using to substantiate your claim(s) that FSD beta is "plenty dangerous enough still" and to support your contention that Tesla should not reset the number of strikes?
See the linked video. My main metric is that Tesla says “wrong thing, worst time,” which they are serious about! It is not just a disclaimer or CYA. If they remove that warning I think we can revisit the strike system.

This danger is increased by letting people back in who have propensity to rack up strikes due to inattention and improper use (yes, there are other reasons for strikes, but I suspect those legitimate excuses are not the primary reason for strikeouts).

If a user’s peripheral visual field is impaired enough to not see the flashing blue screen, then it may be best to wait until FSD is out of Beta, as it requires good vision to monitor safely. There will be a time when FSD will help these people by accommodating their visual deficits!

Last edited:

I really want to see a strike happen and all the lead up to it. I’m trying to reconcile what I have seen with what is reported here. I guess extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence?
As best I can tell most people naturally resist the steering enough that they rarely see the blue (or white) screen. The rest of us (less than 5%?) need to develop some trick to mimic resisting autosteer, and pay close attention to the flashing lights. Unfortunately, paying too much attention to the lights sometimes makes the cabin camera think you are not paying attention to the road. In my case after driving a M3 3.5 years I switched to an S so I have to retrain myself to look for white lights in the center IC instead of blue lights on the touchscreen. This has been much harder than getting used to the yoke. I also think there are some scenarios where a warning (e.g. Move Away From The Scary Orange Cones!) prevents the auto steer warnings from being displayed so you seem to get the red steering wheel immediately. BTW, on the rare occasions that I take my hands off the wheel I have never had a warning, and I never had any trouble with Eyesight thinking I wasn't paying attention