Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to enable Sentry Mode without flashing lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be parking my car at a place that's quite busy with people walking around and I'd like the car to blend in as much as possible. I would like the security offered by Sentry Mode to record any incidents but not flash lights when people are simply walking past the car as that might invite unwanted attention.

Is there any way to configure Sentry Mode to note flash lights for people simply walking past the car?

I'm perfectly find with Sentry going crazy if there is an actual "incident" but would like an option for Sentry to be low key.

I like how they have implemented Sentry 95% of the time but wish there was an option to turn off the flashing lights for 5% of the times when I know it would be better for the car to not do that based on the setting.

Hmm... I did not even know it's flashing lights. I thought it just turns on the screen with the red dot picture and "recording" word.
Does it flash repeaters or entire front lights?

It flashes the headlights. Most of the time this is a good thing but if you park some place busy it is just going to draw unnecessary attention when I'd rather people just walk past the car and go about their business without looking to see what's going on with the car.

Wish the flashing headlights is a customizable option.

Something is strange. I’ve NEVER seen it flash the lights during an event.
Unless of course maybe I triggered the event by walking up with my key FOB.
It doesn’t seem to do that anymore when I walk up.
Now I have to get my lazy ass off the couch and go try this!!

Geez. Thanks!

Something is strange. I’ve NEVER seen it flash the lights during an event.
Unless of course maybe I triggered the event by walking up with my key FOB.
It doesn’t seem to do that anymore when I walk up.
Now I have to get my lazy ass off the couch and go try this!!

Geez. Thanks!

It certainly does flash while in Sentry Mode! :p

Lock the car, step away, and get closer to the car without the key fob and there is only a certain amount of loitering around the car it will tolerate until it flashes...

Reactions: positiv
Yeah, remember if you want to test Sentry, leave your fob way away and/or put your phone in airplane mode (for a 3). It doesn’t react to you.

We saw this also on vacation when the car was in Sentry and it would flash ‘hello’ except it was really ‘who you, mf’ :D

Would be nice to have an incognito mode externally for busy neighborhoods.

Yeah, remember if you want to test Sentry, leave your fob way away and/or put your phone in airplane mode (for a 3). It doesn’t react to you.

We saw this also on vacation when the car was in Sentry and it would flash ‘hello’ except it was really ‘who you, mf’ :D

Absolutely! The other use case is when the car is valet parked. I always keep Sentry on and use speed limit mode when I valet because Valet mode turns off Sentry. But then when they valet parks your car up front in a busy area, it's not good when the car flashes lights at people and draws attention -- and people go to look and loiter around the car -- when really all you want is people to just stay away.

Reactions: boaterva
Absolutely! The other use case is when the car is valet parked. I always keep Sentry on and use speed limit mode when I valet because Valet mode turns off Sentry. But then when they valet parks your car up front in a busy area, it's not good when the car flashes lights at people and draws attention -- and people go to look and loiter around the car -- when really all you want is people to just stay away.

This is my issue with not being able to turn off flashing lights with Sentry.

I once valet parked the car and the hotel parked the car right at the entrance and I got back in my car to SIXTY SEVEN sentry activations. :eek: I freaked out and went around the car to make sure everything was okay. Yeah, in situations like this, I want to set Sentry to be active but, please, no flashing lights. Just record everything and keep a low profile is what I want the car to do in situations where I know things are going to be busy.

Also want to be able to keep Sentry active and record everything in valet mode. Makes no sense that Sentry recording is disabled when the cars are in Valet Mode, as that's especially when I'd want to have a video record of anything that happens around the car.

20190516_210213 (1).jpg

When I wash the car I put my key fob in a Faraday pouch. So the car does not constantly "greet" me... This way I can get in the car when needed to clean the interior by taking the key fob out of the pouch.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Anyone have any insight on future sentry developments - we need to have some more controls thats for sure.

Yeah in some cases I'd like the lights to actually stay on longer (when where you have parked is totally dark and you need the lights for the cameras to see) and in other times I don't want the lights to flash at all.

Wish Sentry Lights had the following options:

Lighting Options
  • Flash Lights
  • Exterior lights on for 15 seconds
  • Keep exterior lights off

I think a better solution is for Tesla to eliminate the false positives. If there were a true positive, the flashing lights could scare off the intruder and/or bring unwanted attention to the mischief. If one didn't think there would be an incident, why use Sentry?

I think a better solution is for Tesla to eliminate the false positives. If there were a true positive, the flashing lights could scare off the intruder and/or bring unwanted attention to the mischief. If one didn't think there would be an incident, why use Sentry?

IMHO it's not a matter of false positives.

Sentry is pretty good at activating only if someone gets too close. The point being there are situations where you want the car to not flash lights as you may have no choice but to park the car some place with lots of activity and light flashing only draws more attention and may make matters worse.

There are already videos of people who were just going past the car, the car flashes at them, and then they turn around and get all triggered thinking someone did that on purpose.

Sentry lights should have 3 modes. Flash (default), On for 15 Seconds, and off. This should address most everyone's needs.

I hope Tesla Dev are watching this and many other threads like it and add a USER OPTION for Sentry Mode to TURN OFF headlamps flashing. I get way more false positives and walkers by stopping looking rather bemused and even some rude hand gestures!

Or flash after the 3rd or nth positive trigger in space of only a minute. Not the first...

I hope Tesla Dev are watching this and many other threads like it and add a USER OPTION for Sentry Mode to TURN OFF headlamps flashing. I get way more false positives and walkers by stopping looking rather bemused and even some rude hand gestures!

Or flash after the 3rd or nth positive trigger in space of only a minute. Not the first...

+ 1. There are times to flash and there are times when the car should not draw unnecessary attention.

The flashing lights should be an option to 1) No flashing 2) Flash 3) Turn on exterior lights for 15 seconds.

The default can still be to flash and you can adjust as needed.