Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to get Homelink on a 2021 M3 LR without paying $300 to Tesla? Thx.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EVERYBODY is lowering prices of electric vehicles man, due to cheaper battery manufacturing, so that has nothing to do with that. They're just skimping on features, like most manufacturers, to be fair. But that's no justification; they just want more profit, period. They're already more expensive than they have to be, but enough suckers (me included) keep paying Tesla what they want, so they keep getting away with it :). But I'm not going to keep filling their coffers unless I absolutely have to have something... and with the Homelink, it's not the case.

I don't think you understand how HomeLink works. It's not the module that costs the bucks - that's fairly low-cost ICs and a transmitter. The cost is in the license to speak the HomeLink protocol.

Tesla has to license that module from Gentex. They purchased HomeLink from Johnson Controls back in ~2014 and have been renegotiating agreements since. I'm sure that Tesla's agreement dated to earlier than that since it was included in the original Model S...

My guess is that when Tesla's contract was up for renegotiation, Gentex tried to stick it to them... So Tesla greatly reduced the number of units sold by removing the module from Model 3.

I'd be surprised if Tesla turns a profit - AT ALL - on these HomeLink modules.

So the typical module is selling for $150-$160 on Amazon now. Let's assume Tesla buys them for, say, $125/each including licensing.

Here's my guess at costs:
Module + License: $125 to purchase.
Shipping/Warehouse cost: $5
Mobile service truck roll: $75-100 loaded cost (Fuel, travel time, service vehicle cost, insurance, etc.)
Mobile tech time - 1 hour: $80 FTE cost
Total: $285-$310

Seriously - very little if any profit in the $300 installed cost.

Now all that said, of course the cheaper option is to use the visor clip-on. The reason I don't care for that is because all someone has to do is pop the window on my car, and boom, they're in my garage. At least with HomeLink, the module is useless unless they've woken the car up and authenticated to it. Much, much more work.

How would the person breaking into your car (to steal the garage opener) know where you live?

If that happened, you could easily change the code (or dip switch) in the garage opener. Or is your car parked outside your house?

How would the person breaking into your car (to steal the garage opener) know where you live?

If that happened, you could easily change the code (or dip switch) in the garage opener. Or is your car parked outside your house?

The registration and insurance card in the glovebox?

And yes - we park in the driveway, so that's always a consideration.

Couple of thoughts... Yes, it's expensive, but most of that is HomeLink licensing fees. The modules themselves go for $150-$160 on Amazon, and then of course there's installation time, software programming time, etc. that Tesla charges for. Expensive but I don't think Tesla is profiting much - if anything - on it. Just rolling a Mobile Service vehicle to your house probably costs them anywhere from $80-$100.

Now all that said, of course the cheaper option is to use the visor clip-on. The reason I don't care for that is because all someone has to do is pop the window on my car, and boom, they're in my garage. At least with HomeLink, the module is useless unless they've woken the car up and authenticated to it. Much, much more work.

Somewhat theoretical, but somewhat not.
If someone is going to go to the trouble of breaking into your car, why would they then abandon the car and focus on your garage? Especially since you and the police would be there waiting for them. So, yes, very theoretical.

I thought I would have missed homelink once I move from my 2015 S to a 2021 Y. But the clip-on transmitter is more powerful and reliable. I wouldn’t go back.

If someone is going to go to the trouble of breaking into your car, why would they then abandon the car and focus on your garage? Especially since you and the police would be there waiting for them. So, yes, very theoretical.

I'm more concerned about when the car is in my driveway. It's as good as putting an "open here" button on the front of the garage.

We own two cars. Plenty of times when one car is home and we’re out with the other.

Busting a car window is quick, quiet and with a pushbutton transmitter provides instant access to the home.

Ok, just playing devil's advocate here...

Leave one car in the garage, take the car in the driveway. ;)

With regard to the registration and insurance, wouldn't that be in the locked glovebox?

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Ok, just playing devil's advocate here...

Leave one car in the garage, take the car in the driveway. ;)

With regard to the registration and insurance, wouldn't that be in the locked glovebox?

Can't park in the garage. Too small. Previous owner carved the back half out to make a sun porch, and it's no longer deep enough to even fit the Model 3.

As for R&I, sure, but that's a quick pop. I can yank it open bare handed if I don't care about busting the lock.

Ok I get it now.

You are using the homelink to open the garage door just to walk through it (not use it as a garage for the car). Now it make sense (to me).

Yes, exactly. I honestly don’t even know where the front door keys are. I think I may have entered the house that way once when we first moved in. Maybe.

• Funny
Reactions: JBT66 and pjensen
NOPE! Just checked Tesla's website yesterday, and that's why I started this thread :).

I don't think so. It's just that Tesla wants to charge an arm and a leg for it. Yes, the Homelink brand module is probably the most expensive, but probably not by that much. Plus there are other brands as well. The way you know it's Homelink is if a button/housing has their trademark little house carved in. At any rate, what pisses me off is not that Tesla removed it (well, I little bit. Ha ha), but that they don't offer it as a factory option, and you'd have to take your brand new car to get worked on at a dealer. Plus paying freaking 300 bucks.

You could buy a Homelink mirror a lot cheaper than that too, but I don't want to d*ck with that on an electric Tesla. So will just follow the great idea somebody had of invisibly attaching the garage remote to the back (bottom) of the screen, and be done with this :).
My 2018 Model 3 dual motor with AP (not FSD) and an optional paint color was $60k when we bought it. But hey, we got a free $300 homelink opener with the deal.

Reactions: bedoig
And the Model S used to cost over 100 grand. But what the heck does that have to do with anything, other than only crazy people paid that much? Ha ha. It's what the car costs NOW, compared to the competition. And both ICE and electric. A $50K car should have it, period. And it doesn't have to be the fancy kind. The one on the sun visor would have sufficed. But I already bought the damn car, so give it a rest :). I was just mentioning the obvious.

And the Model S used to cost over 100 grand. But what the heck does that have to do with anything, other than only crazy people paid that much? Ha ha. It's what the car costs NOW, compared to the competition. And both ICE and electric. A $50K car should have it, period. And it doesn't have to be the fancy kind. The one on the sun visor would have sufficed. But I already bought the damn car, so give it a rest :). I was just mentioning the obvious.
Have you ever priced out a BMW or other German car? EVERYTHING is optional. If you want the integrated Homelink option, buy it. If not, don't.

Reactions: MP3Mike