Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to get safely on 4 jack stands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have 2 sets of wheels, one with winter tires, and one with summer tires. I want to swap the tires and wheels so that I can have the winter wheels with the summer tires on them and vice versa. I'd rather not have the local tire shop jack up the tesla, so the easiest way for me to do this is to take both sets of wheels off the tesla, and bring the 8 wheels/tires to the shop in the minivan.

I own one floor jack, 2 hockey pucks, and 4 jack stands. Is there any way to safely get the car up on 4 jack stands? I was thinking that maybe I can jack it up one corner at a time using the jack point, and then put a jack stand under a component of the suspension and let the car back down?

I currently have 2 sets of wheels, one with winter tires, and one with summer tires. I want to swap the tires and wheels so that I can have the winter wheels with the summer tires on them and vice versa. I'd rather not have the local tire shop jack up the tesla, so the easiest way for me to do this is to take both sets of wheels off the tesla, and bring the 8 wheels/tires to the shop in the minivan.

I own one floor jack, 2 hockey pucks, and 4 jack stands. Is there any way to safely get the car up on 4 jack stands? I was thinking that maybe I can jack it up one corner at a time using the jack point, and then put a jack stand under a component of the suspension and let the car back down?

THE RENNSTAND BY SAFE JACK

The RennStand by Safe Jack

Yeah, I saw that, it just seems crazy that I can't accomplish this without spending a large amount of money for an isolated task. Was really just hoping there was some safe point on the suspension to hold the car up.

In lieu of this I suppose I can put 2 summer and 2 winter wheels on the car, bring the other half to the shop to swap, and then come back and do the others.

Reactions: Scott7
Why don't you want your local tire shop to do it? My local shop planned ahead and already had the appropriate equipment to lift a Tesla? If you don't trust them to lift your car, why would you trust them to swap the tires on your expensive wheels?

My plan is to use Safe Jack with the car when I have to lift it. This is what I have been using with my other cars and just ordered the appropriate lifting pads for my Model 3. The RennStand by Safe Jack.

Reactions: DaddyCool
I own these and they are great. I jack up the front and the rear is already off the ground because I guess the frame is so solid. So I jack up the rear on the same side and well and work on those two tires and clean grease the brakes then do the other side.
Exactly how I do mine too. just make sure your jack isn't too wide to roll under these stands and also make sure to raise the suspension to the highest setting, and then jack mode. I think I paid $300 for mine...
Jack stands with Tesla Pads

Last edited:
Jack up the car with the jack from the front jack point all the way until both wheels are off the ground. Place a 4x4 piece in between the jack pad (under it) and the floor. Release the jack and make sure that the vehicle stays up far enough for the wheels not to touch the ground. Jack back up. You now have a safe jack that won't collapse regardless if hydraulic pressure is lost. Change both wheels on that side. Repeat for other side. I do this twice a year.

***A word of caution about the Rennstands by Safe Jacks***

I'd made a thread about this a while ago, but it was pointlessly merged & disappeared into another thread, so few people ever saw it.

Even used correctly (I've verified this with the owner of the company... and I've been messing with cars for 20+ years), these are highly likely to end up denting your jack points *a little bit.* I don't like it because I'm anal, but objectively, I don't think it's a big deal because function isn't impaired and it doesn't appear to be getting worse. (Also, aluminum is "work hardened" after it's bent - hopefully someone smarter than me can chime in on this.)

He told me a few months ago he's "working on a solution" on this, but have yet to hear anything and haven't followed-up (yet) because small companies are freaking the F out at the moment.

Here's what I'm talking about:

pDA14XS.jpg

Note I've intentionally made the lighting make it look worse to illustrate my point.

My case doesn't appear to be unique - you can see the same thing at

5:18 here:

And 3:13 here:

In any case, I'm working on a solution of my own to ensure I prevent any further deformation and I'll probably make a thread about what I've come up with. Hopefully it doesn't get buried into some 900-page thread about jack points.

I still prefer to use these over something like the QuickJack system, which seems to be a cumbersome PITA for someone who's not lifting cars on a daily or even weekly basis. I just wish the TM3 jack points were a little bit tougher...

Last edited: