Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to get safely on 4 jack stands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's why you ensure the jack is rolling forward appropriately as you raise the car.
Depends on the surface. Not all floor jacks will roll on all surfaces all the time especially with a 3 ton brick.
One of my cars has 5 sets of rims and tires. Why 5? Because I sold two sets I'm not using anymore.
I'd have to change my own tires in the pits before every race event, then change them back to drive home. Rinse and repeat perhaps 400-700 times so far, dunno? I would compete in more than one race series per year. Sometimes 3 series. Some weeks I'd change tires more than 10 times.

Just a little pebble and a distraction is all it takes to ruin your day if the far side is on stands. If the far side is on tires, not as risky.

Bonus tip: The Milwaukee V28 1/2" impact will do at least 3 complete changes per charge. After 15? years it still knocks off 150 ftlb lugs with ease.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7
Pretty heavy price as well.
At that price you can go to a QuickJack (available at Costco.com)
https://www.quickjack.com/?
SID=bjp7cj3pmvvu5nf7at03e0qhgt

View attachment 531401

I bought my Quickjack on sale at Costco online. Takes about an hour to set up the system out of the boxes and you have to buy 3 quarts of hydraulic oil as well. Takes up minimal space in the garage and the only complaint is that I wish the 5000 model was 2 inches longer to fit right under the center of the Model 3 jackpoints.

Attachments

• 82CE5B74-8A7E-47F6-AE50-32FA481E69E1.jpeg
    82CE5B74-8A7E-47F6-AE50-32FA481E69E1.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 341
Reactions: Daniellane
I bought my Quickjack on sale at Costco online. Takes about an hour to set up the system out of the boxes and you have to buy 3 quarts of hydraulic oil as well. Takes up minimal space in the garage and the only complaint is that I wish the 5000 model was 2 inches longer to fit right under the center of the Model 3 jackpoints.

I just looked at getting this for my Model S, looks like it's a pre-order and not available yet.

PSA
Regarding the Safe Jack product.
Just in case you are not aware. You’ll need a super low profile jack with a Model 3. I went with the one from Harbor Freight tools shown in this video (previously posted in this thread) which discusses specific height requirements...
So, now I have 2 jacks, which actually allows more functionality...

PSA
Just in case you are not aware. You’ll need a super low profile jack with a Model 3. I went with the one from Harbor Freight tools shown in this video (previously posted in this thread) which discusses specific height requirements...

Thanks for the PSA. On the Teslarati site, they mention you can drive on stackable garage tiles from Home Depot for additional clearance. I don't know what stackable garage tiles from Home Depot they are referring to though....

PSA

Thanks for the PSA. On the Teslarati site, they mention you can drive on stackable garage tiles from Home Depot for additional clearance. I don't know what stackable garage tiles from Home Depot they are referring to though....
You'll run into this problem with any car worth driving. My old jack crapped out & I recently bought this one from Harbor Freight.

My method (with all of our cars) is to simply lift the car normally by one point high enough until both wheels on one side are in the air, and then place a stand under the adjacent lift point, and then gently lower the car onto it. Then I place another stand on the point I just lifted - and past that step, the whole car's high enough to where there are no clearance issues. Avoids buying any extra equipment or complicating the process.

They are referring to the garage specific flooring tiles (think Racedeck, etc.). To be honest, I don't think Home Depot sells those. But what HD does sell is cheap lumber that will work just fine for this purpose.

You'll run into this problem with any car worth driving. My old jack crapped out & I recently bought this one from Harbor Freight.

My method (with all of our cars) is to simply lift the car normally by one point high enough until both wheels on one side are in the air, and then place a stand under the adjacent lift point, and then gently lower the car onto it. Then I place another stand on the point I just lifted - and past that step, the whole car's high enough to where there are no clearance issues. Avoids buying any extra equipment or complicating the process.

Not sure how you get that to work. If you jack from the rear driver's side pad, you can get it high enough to slide a jack stand under the front driver's side pad. However, if you lower the jack now (so that you can access the rear driver's side pad with the jack stand), there won't be enough clearance to slide the stand in after removing the jack.

I haven't done it but I think jacking from a solid point near the "subframe" or control arm mounting area on the rear suspension is required to slide a stand under the rear jack pad. More importantly though, there is really is no need to get completely under the car so I haven't spent much time trying to figure it out.

And of course, if you want to spend the money Jackpoint or other similar stands could certainly work. But at some point it just becomes more cost effective to buy a quickjack XL. Or you realize that you don't need to have all the wheels all off the ground at the same time :D

Last edited:
PSA
I'm finding now with my super low profile Arcan jack with my car lowered it barely fits under there with the safe jack part on it. May have to get the lumber out I guess.

so i just had to do this to paint my calipers and weighed the idea of the quick jack vs jackstands. i went with 2 safejacksand 2 ksco flat jackstands.

my car is lowered so even with my low profile jack, i cant fit the jack and jackpad let alone the jack and safejack piece. i keep 4 10" sections of 2x10s in the garage and drive up on it to get the floor jack and safe jacks under the rear jack point.

next i jack the rear up high enough to get the ksco flat jackstand & puck under the front, add the safe jack feet and one side is done. repeat on the other side being VERY cognizant that when raising and lowering the 2nd side of the car that things may have shifted on the first side. (i1telsa points this out in his video too)

reverse the order when done
91FFC346-53E5-48F0-A697-63E33023CF11.jpeg

Reactions: android04
Not sure how you get that to work. If you jack from the rear driver's side pad, you can get it high enough to slide a jack stand under the front driver's side pad. However, if you lower the jack now (so that you can access the rear driver's side pad with the jack stand), there won't be enough clearance to slide the stand in after removing the jack.
There's enough clearance - especially since the side you just raised is still airborne. Not only that - but the passenger-side of the car is now a little "de-compressed" and you can comfortably slide the jack + Rennstand into either end on the other side. Maybe this story will change once I finally get around to installing my MPP coilovers, but for now, it's no problem on the standard suspension.

I really need to start getting some videos together for you guys... it's on my list, but I've been busy quarantine-drinking.

repeat on the other side being VERY cognizant that when raising and lowering the 2nd side of the car that things may have shifted on the first side. (i1telsa points this out in his video too)

reverse the order when done
View attachment 532009
This. Insanely important point - and really the main "unsafe" thing about the "Safe Jacks" product. The first time you use these, or any jacking/supporting mechanism for your car, you need to take your sweet ass time to reexamine everything after every step. It's not so much that it shifts... but rather the entire car lifts up off a 3rd jack stand and you must be very careful getting it back down.

BTW I really, really miss my Esco stands. Best jack stands ever & dearly wish I could continue using them.