Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to get safely on 4 jack stands?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Word of Caution: I haven't tried this yet, but it seems like it could work.

I'm thinking about a sequence of alternating between using the lift point and the tire to support the weight.

1. Jack up car at one lift point with jack pad puck.
2. Put wheel on appropriate support ex. Wheel ramp with Shim (2x4). The shim is important because the Jack stands have to be higher than the wheel ramp so you can get the wheel ramp back under the wheel when it is time to remove the jack stand at the end.

Ex: Wheel Ramp
*why not just drive up the ramp? Might work...but the ramp will probably be in the way of the jack stand

3. Take lift off support point
4. Put jack stand on support point with pad puck
5. Remove wheel support.

Repeat 4 times

Remove all 4 tires now.

Now getting it back off the jack stand...with the suspension now uncompressed.....that is the trick. Might be as simple as pushing the shims back under the tires on the wheel ramps and compressing the suspension?

I'll fix this post based on others input and my experimenting.

Last edited:
F5AA9BE3-557A-42C8-83C0-CDF60E024381.jpeg

😉

I can’t believe you’d seriously go through this much trouble to jack up a car without the right equipment to avoid a shop doing so with the right equipment.

It’s just a car. It has four very well marked jack points. Tell the shop to use them, then go about your business.
Bro has never worked on a car in his life…

You can see the hydraulic ramp jacks on the ground in the background
That's not it, but good eye. I may share my method in a dedicated thread of its own, but am slightly hesitant because a) some Tesla owner who's never seen a flathead screwdriver in his life will end up killing himself, and b) I don't feel like dealing with the hours of debate that'll result. We'll see.

@Dolemite or anyone who's had damage using the Rennstand. Do you think using thier flat 4 in square jack pad (instead of the Tesla made 2.5 in square jackpad with the "nipple") with regular rubber jack pads fix/help with some of the jack point damage issues?

Follow up question....on a non lowered Model 3, would there be enough clearance to do ^ without driving on a 2x4 etc.?

Post itttttttttttttttttt

@Dolemite or anyone who's had damage using the Rennstand. Do you think using thier flat 4 in square jack pad (instead of the Tesla made 2.5 in square jackpad with the "nipple") with regular rubber jack pads fix/help with some of the jack point damage issues?

Follow up question....on a non lowered Model 3, would there be enough clearance to do ^ without driving on a 2x4 etc.?
No. And you’d probably end up dropping the car.

No. And you’d probably end up dropping the car.
Could you explain why you say this? I don't understand. Since the jack pad is the only piece touching the car, why wouldn't using different jack pads help? Are you saying all jack pads will damage the car? If so, why would you be upset as the RennStand jackpad design?

I understand why a different jack pad setup could pose a higher risk of dropping the car, but it seems to me there's a medium risk inherent to the ridged design of the car in combination with the jack points locations relative to the center of gravity of the car...which if the car is be re-raised off a jack stand, the best situation is to have as large of contact point as possible. Not having a nipple to lower back down on seems to me an improvement?

Ya wanna raise the whole car?
I don't anticipate wanting/needing to raise the whole car. Just jack up a side to rotate tires and lube the brakes and stuff like that.

Yeah, I already know about the quick jack, just can't justify the cost to my wife...or want something that big when I don't really have a need for the capability. I already have a jack. I just am trying to figure out the best option for my needs.

I don't anticipate wanting/needing to raise the whole car. Just jack up a side to rotate tires and lube the brakes and stuff like that.

Yeah, I already know about the quick jack, just can't justify the cost to my wife...or want something that big when I don't really have a need for the capability. I already have a jack. I just am trying to figure out the best option for my needs.
Eh, personally I think spending a thousand bucks or so to avoid a fatal crush injury is pretty justifiable.