TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any way to get the wipers to stop halfway?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Chopr147, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Anyone in a cold climate can relate here. When the snow and freezing rain hit and you know it's coming the prudent thing to do is take the wiper-blades off the glass and let them sit halfway up.
    Okay I'm not describing it correctly so here is what I mean:
    wiper.jpg

Well, first snow storm last week and this is when I noticed on a Tesla it cannot be done. The wipers are too far under the hood. So, is there a way to get them to stop halfway. I checked around but did not find anything

• Like x 1
  2. h-bomb

h-bomb Member

Service mode will put the wipers in a position where the blades can be changed, but I don't know if you can leave it that way with the car locked/unattended.

3. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Plus even in service mode you can't stand the wipers up.

4. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I see this all the time. I've never done it. Why do people do it?

5. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

Can you stop the wipers half way in the middle?

If so, then just put a cardboard to cover the windshield to protect getting snow on it, using the wipers to hold the cardboard.

This way, the wipers will touch the cardboard and will not stick against the windshield.

• Helpful x 1
  6. phigment

phigment Member

But if you put cardboard down in freezing rain you now have wipers frozen to cardboard which is also frozen to the glass.

• Funny x 3
  7. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

As funny as it is, it seems to be more of a south.afriad.of.the.snow thing.

When I lived in NY, no one ever picked up their wipers. Here in DC? Everyone does it.

• Funny x 1
  8. JClu

JClu Member

People who live in the extremely cold (like MN) climates do it. It makes sure the wipers are not stuck to the windshield when the temperature dips way down and the snow / water on the windshield becomes ice and the wipers would be solidly bound to the windshield. And if you try to pry it free, you may very possibly rip off the wiper blades that are still stuck to the ice on the windshield.

9. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I'm in NY and I see it all the time. I have been doing it for many years.
    True
    The most beneficial to me has been clearing the windshield w/o wipers in the way and now the wipers are also clear of ice themselves so they work well. No frozen chunks wiping smears across the windshield :) It's helpful when you are leaving for work at 0500 hrs. and not have to chip away at the wipers :)

10. LuPapa

LuPapa Member

If you are going to be this concerned, wouldn't buying one of those windshield blankets solve your problem? plus your windshield is also not covered in snow/ice. [​IMG]

11. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Service mode is meant for this. Its mentioned in the Model S walkthru: Model S Walkthrough

Although they stay on the windshield and can't be propped up, they are supposedly closer to the defrost vents in the service position.

12. NovemberXray

NovemberXray Member

I prefer to keep the wipers in the down position as it's easier to clear the snow and ice, and especially with cars with wiper deicers, they are quickly free of the windshield even in thick ice. Then you can move them up to the service position to remove any buildup on the blades before driving. :)

13. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I'm not that concerned. I was looking for an answer to my question.

• Like x 1
  14. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

No, because then you end up with a blanket frozen to your windshield in a rain-to-snow event, and those happen a lot in northern locations - particularly coastal ones.

Hopefully there were some cold-climate folks on the Model 3 design team giving input to the SoCal folks.

15. Joe F

Joe F Member

Not recommended as it stretches the springs which will reduce blade pressure against the windshield.

16. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Although there is a heating element along where the wiper blade rests when not in use, I have found ice can accumulate below it in the well beneath the hood. Even with pre-heating the car, I still had to open the frunk and get the ice out from around the base of the wiper arm to prevent damaging the wiper's motor. A bit of warm water poured over some areas really worked (just don't use hot water against any glass).

3 areas that Tesla needs to address with heaters would be door handles, mirrors and along the base of at least the driver's window in my opinion.