Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to keep high beams on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our house is on a quiet street, that finishes in a dead end and it is quiet and fairly dark. Auto high beam, for some reason never switch to high beam on our street and now with fall here, it gets dark quite early (and of course will get dark even earlier). Other than manually pulling on the stick (and keeping it there, which isn't great) any other way to get high beams on, like any other car?

Thanks!

There isn't a way to leave them permanently on now. Auto high beams disable automatically when the car detects light in front of it. Probably to prevent people from constantly leaving them on and causing safety issues. Picture the ubiquitous drivers of lifted trucks on highways that add more lights to keep on, in addition to their high beams. It'd be cool if Tesla added sensitivity modes for the feature.

Car manufacturers should maybe call this feature “auto low beams”. They don’t really turn the high beams on automatically. They really are setting your beams to low in a bunch of situations (slow speed, high amount of ambient light, bright lights from oncoming traffic or reflections, etc), even when you’ve requested high beams.

You can always temporarily force the high beams on when auto high beams is active by pulling the blinker control towards you. This is how you would flash your high beams at someone that doesn’t set their headlights to low.

I need high beams at slow speeds. We live in the mountains on a windy single lane, tree covered road with lots of wildlife that dart across the road, not to mention downed trees. I need the high beams to see well in front of me and to the sides. Horrible idea to disable them, not everyone’s situation is the same.

I need high beams at slow speeds. We live in the mountains on a windy single lane, tree covered road with lots of wildlife that dart across the road, not to mention downed trees. I need the high beams to see well in front of me and to the sides. Horrible idea to disable them, not everyone’s situation is the same.
Turning off Auto High Beams doesn't disable them. It allows the driver to turn high beams on and off as needed. In your situation, in the woods where there are no street lights, Auto High Beams probably works great and they stay on except when an oncoming car approaches. The problem is if you live in a suburban area or anywhere where there are street lights, Auto High Beams result in them never turning on even when they would be helpful.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Turning off Auto High Beams doesn't disable them. It allows the driver to turn high beams on and off as needed. In your situation, in the woods where there are no street lights, Auto High Beams probably works great and they stay on except when an oncoming car approaches. The problem is if you live in a suburban area or anywhere where there are street lights, Auto High Beams result in them never turning on even when they would be helpful.
Are high beams really necessary when the street is well lit?

Are high beams really necessary when the street is well lit?
No, they are not needed when a street is well lit. But my neighborhood is not well lit but still has occasional street lights or other lights on houses that apparently are enough to prevent Auto High Beams from activating. Turning off Auto High Beams and turning them on manually is a much better solution for my situation and probably others too.

After I updated to v9, I found I could disable auto high beams then push the turn signal lever forward and release and it would turn on the high beams.
Pushing the left stick forward has been the way to turn on high-beam for decades. The only way Model 3 is different here is the stick doesn't staw away and comes back (it's a toggle, not a switch like all the other cars I have driven).