Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to keep nav app from overriding left instrument panel app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thecloud

As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive
Nov 24, 2014
Sunnyvale, CA
I've found myself frequently doing this on 7.0:
- set a destination in the nav app on the 17" touchscreen
- notice that the app on the left side of the IC has been switched to the nav app
- press in, hold, and roll the left scroll wheel to go back to my previously selected app (normally Trip, since I keep the Energy meter on the right side where it's less likely to be overridden.)

The manual does note that "Regardless of how you customize the left side of the instrument panel, it automatically changes to display navigation instructions (if applicable), or to let you know if a door or trunk is open when Model S is in a driving gear." I've also seen the Car Status app break in and let me know if I'm too close to something. The Phone app will alert me when there's an incoming call. But all of these are momentary interruptions, like a news flash, which goes away once the distance from the other car increases, or the door is closed, or whatever. The problem with the nav app's interruption is that it's permanent until I get to my destination (at which point I get out of the car), and I have never found the IC portion of the app useful at all.

I think I wasn't really bothered by the nav app doing this in 6.2, since at that point I only really needed to use the right-hand app slot: the real-time energy meter was built into the central speedometer display and didn't require display of a separate app. But with 7.0, I need two app slots to display the same information, so the nav app now feels very intrusive.

Is there any setting which would keep the nav app from taking over my preferred left instrument panel app? Or am I stuck working around this every time I use navigation?

Same here! I like to keep the Trip app on the right and the Energy app on the left. I like that if you override the left navigation with an app, you still get the pop up turn instructions. I feel that once you override it, the car should remember that setting.

Not true... if you click and hold the left scroll wheel for a few seconds, you can choose another display on the left side. When you get to a point where the nav system has the next turn instruction, a box will open below the chosen screen... works great for me.

At this point, we are stuck with the NAV override all the time; there is no way to disable the override. Let's hope that 7.1 gives us some choice.

On my first road trip yesterday. I wish the Nav map displayed on the IC would include the distance to the destination. That is available on the main display but I found myself flipping between the main display between Nav display and the energy. Just to make sure Energy always had more miles left than I needed to reach the destination. I was running on the proverbial "fumes," arriving at the CHAdeMO with 2% remaining. Phew!