Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to keep Powerwalls from charging without turning off their breakers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. That's helpful. 4 days after my system was activated, the advanced mode appeared in the app. I set it and selected balanced (was already the default). I left it like that for several weeks and never once had any behavior other than 100% of all solar going to the batteries during off peak until fully charged.

I've now set it back to that and assume that at some point the system should start doing the right thing? Any idea how long it will take?
Both of my GW's are doing this, balanced. I assume this is what you want?

b.JPG

h.JPG

Reactions: sorka
Yeah, it does take time for it to learn usage habits. But balanced will always send to the grid during peak. If he wants to use solar during this time instead of sending it all to the grid, then he needs to set this time as partial peak and set peak to occur after sunset. During this shoulder period all solar will still go to the house with excess to the grid, and the battery will be used to supplement the house when solar isn't enough.

Cost saving mode for me has always sent 100% of solar to the grid during peak times. This has never been an issue. The issue is what advanced mode does for me during off peak. Not sure why balanced had the house consuming from the grid during peak.

Yes there is clearly some forecasting/learning that is happening. I watched the system initially leave too much "money on the table" but as its "confidence" went up that it can replace the energy it started discharging more during off peak. I also noticed that would do the discharge closer to charge time versus discharging early, (and sitting at a relatively low state of charge). This seemed smart. Now that have lowered the reserve so it has enough to pretty much cover all non-solar production time I was able to hit something close to perfect where the powerwall is discharging whenever there is load that is not solar covered and charging.

BTW when I had in cost saving mode it really wanted to sell as much as could to the grid. Balanced as been way better for me.
I have noticed same thing, seems to be learning. My reserve on both GW's is set at 10%, and it never gets close.

Thanks. That's helpful. 4 days after my system was activated, the advanced mode appeared in the app. I set it and selected balanced (was already the default). I left it like that for several weeks and never once had any behavior other than 100% of all solar going to the batteries during off peak until fully charged.

I've now set it back to that and assume that at some point the system should start doing the right thing? Any idea how long it will take?
I don't have a good answer on how long it will take. I've had a system for 3 years now. The early days were rough.

I added more solar and battery a week ago and it seemed to just take a few days to adjust to additional batteries and solar. If your system is new it take it a few weeks. I would recommend picking a setting and leaving it there for a couple of weeks.

I don't have a good answer on how long it will take. I've had a system for 3 years now. The early days were rough.

I added more solar and battery a week ago and it seemed to just take a few days to adjust to additional batteries and solar. If your system is new it take it a few weeks. I would recommend picking a setting and leaving it there for a couple of weeks.

I'll try it but if it if balanced results in any consumption from the grid during peak, I'm going to shut that down real quick.

Mine looks like @arnolddeleon does. I think mine took 2 maybe 3 weeks to settle in. According to the docs, it is an ML model so it is going to need some data to do some fine-tuning on your specific system.

Good luck in finding the best setting. Hopefully you can eventually find a solution by that best works for you.

Like I stated, try doing a shoulder period form 3-7 and then your peak from 7-12 in balanced mode. Give it a few days and see if it eventually learns your usage. Hopefully you wont have to keep flipping the breaker

This was a full day of balanced in November. Sorry the images are not of the full screen. I posted these on IG and no longer have the original image on my phone. You can see the only time I used the grid from from 9:00pm to 12:00am.

I currently have mine in cost savings because I want to sell as much back to the power company as possible and I want to reduce the number of cycles on my battery. In fact I changed my peak to start at 5:30 instead of 4:00 so I can still use solar instead of the battery during that time

Attachments

• pw4.JPG
    pw4.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 45
  • pw3.JPG
    pw3.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 34
  • pw2.JPG
    pw2.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 27
  • pw1.JPG
    pw1.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 37
I set it and selected balanced (was already the default). I left it like that for several weeks and never once had any behavior other than 100% of all solar going to the batteries during off peak until fully charged.
What was your reserve % setting when this happened? I also used balanced mode and only excess solar goes to charge battery. The only time 100% solar goes to battery is when reserve % is higher than SoC.

Also, during peak, battery and solar always cover house load. No grid usage during peak. In fact, I notice that if reserve % is higher than SoC when it enters peak, and solar is not enough to cover house load (cloudy day), it will ignore reserve % and discharge battery. Wonder if anyone seeing this as well?

Last edited:
This was a full day of balanced in November. Sorry the images are not of the full screen. I posted these on IG and no longer have the original image on my phone. You can see the only time I used the grid from from 9:00pm to 12:00am.

I currently have mine in cost savings because I want to sell as much back to the power company as possible and I want to reduce the number of cycles on my battery. In fact I changed my peak to start at 5:30 instead of 4:00 so I can still use solar instead of the battery during that time
Are you on EV2-a? I want the solar banked at 3X cost

Have you tried BALANCED mode and configure peak hours much earlier in the day? Once you hit peak hour the batteries should discharge to maximize the NEM credits (as it assumes you were in peak period). If you set it peak early the batteries may never have enough time to get to 100%. Never tried this myself. I previously was going into the app making daily changes and trying to minimize NBC's and keeping the time the PW's were at 100% charge to a minimum by flipping the different modes. I found that Balanced closely mimic'd what I was trying to do. From my review, Balanced tries to maximize self consumption but with an end goal to get to ~100% right when non-peak ends.

I have read this thread from start to finish, as I would also like to stop powerwall charging, but for different reasons.
We haven't actually got a powerwall yet, but do have one on order.
We are on a tariff where we get very little for any solar we export, so my objective is always to export as little to the grid as possible. We have very cheap rate power over night and flat (expensive) rate during the day.
Due to the orientation of our panels, (roof faces SE), maximum generation is in the morning.
The Tesla is my wife's car and she normally goes out between 9:00 and 10:00. returning at some point in the afternoon.
What I would really like is for the car to take all the solar until it goes out, and then the solar to charge the powerwall.
What I don't want is for the power wall to grab all the solar when the sun comes up, then the power wall becomes fully charged at about the time the car goes out. I can see a scenario where the car doesn't get charged first thing in the morning as the powerwall is charging, then the powerwall becomes full at about the same time as the car goes out and then we export to the grid until the car comes back as we have nowhere to put the surplus power.

The best way round it I can think of is to manually force a charge of the car first thing in the morning so there is no solar left over to charge the power wall.

I am assuming that time based control and balanced mode is how I should have it set up, but do correct me if I am wrong on that.

What was your reserve % setting when this happened? I also used balanced mode and only excess solar goes to charge battery. The only time 100% solar goes to battery is when reserve % is higher than SoC.

Also, during peak, battery and solar always cover house load. No grid usage during peak. In fact, I notice that if reserve % is higher than SoC when it enters peak, and solar is not enough to cover house load (cloudy day), it will ignore reserve % and discharge battery. Wonder if anyone seeing this as well?

It was 25% until last night when I lowered it 15%. Today it's still 100% of solar into battery. I'm at 87% and will hit 100% soon. 100% of all house usage has been from grid today since off peak started at midnight. On the assumption that the system will learn, I'm trying to encourage it to use a lower SOC range by lowering the reserve. So far today there is still no change.