Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Way to Know Current Altitude on Navigation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I'm still in the discovery phase with my newly acquired 90D and I am in awe with the navigation features compared to my 1st gen navi on my old TSX.

The one thing I found useful in my TSX and haven't figured out with Tesla's navigation app is knowing current altitude.

Like many other things in this car, not absolutely necessary for driving but still a useful info for planning, even if not for the sake of trivial knowledge.

Any thoughts?

...current altitude...

It's all there but Tesla just doesn't let an average owner get to know all the data.

There's a trick to get it but I don't know how so I just pay @Marc from TeslaLog.com to get those information:

LDfEFUD.jpg

From your 17" screen display, you can go to the web TeslaLog.com to monitor your car but I am not sure how "current" or real time you can get your altitude but since all the info is there, it's just a matter of how to get it out and use it!

Folks, thanks for the info. So it's not directly available on the navigation app but through the browser still possible to see.

Just that the browser is pretty much useless, at least where I live... but that's another whole story right? heheh.

Just that the browser is pretty much useless, at least where I live... but that's another whole story right? heheh.
It's not just where you live - it is useless everywhere. But don't worry, Elon tweeted this on Oct 5, 2016, when answering a question on when the browser will be updated: "When we upgrade the core Linux OS to 4.4, which is probably December"

source: Elon Musk on Twitter

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing and sauce
Try this on the car browser:
Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information

Gives your altitude and wind speed (bottom right) and wind direction (arrow around car position).

And much more! I let you figure it out.

This! Thanks... I don't know why I hadn't navigated to this site sooner and bookmarked it in the car.

Now, it is.

I like it's little pop-up warning you're coming upon a trap.

If only it could emit noise as well..

Anyway, nicely integrated look an feel to show on the Tesla console.

The one thing I found useful in my TSX and haven't figured out with Tesla's navigation app is knowing current altitude.

Here's another helpful web app made for the in-car browser: Tesla Winds and Elevation
This thread discussion
covers getting the API keys which involve a little work, I think they're worth the trouble. I found this tool invaluable on my cross county trip. Its bookmarked in our car. Enjoy the new ride

• Informative
Reactions: sauce and fsch
@Sethsla, I've installed the teslawinds app and it works really nicely. I think I like even more the current winds (airspeed wow!) feature than elevation. This is the real deal!

This is going to be an essential tool this winter as I do a lot of travelling to visit my customers and some days will require careful battery management in order to avoid stopping to recharge during business hours.

Many thanks!

Reactions: Sethsla