Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to limit the opening of the rear hatch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to park my new-to-me MS under my lift in my garage. My current car fits perfectly - with its traditional trunk, I can fully open the trunk while it's parked. However, the Model S with the hatch will not work because of the angles.

Is there a way to limit how far the hatch opens? Alternatively I could put some padding on the lift but I don't want to test whether the glass will hold up long term. :)

Thanks!

Do you have a power liftgate? If so, you can set it to only open to a certain height as noted by jelloslug.
If you have a manual lift gate, then you cannot limit this.

I have padding on my garage door for this very reason as I have a manual lift gate.

I'm looking to park my new-to-me MS under my lift in my garage. My current car fits perfectly - with its traditional trunk, I can fully open the trunk while it's parked. However, the Model S with the hatch will not work because of the angles.

Is there a way to limit how far the hatch opens? Alternatively I could put some padding on the lift but I don't want to test whether the glass will hold up long term. :)

Thanks!
Adjusting the Opening Height
If Model S is equipped with a powered liftgate,
you can adjust its opening height to make it
easier to reach:
1. Open the liftgate, then manually lower it
to the desired opening height.
2. Press and hold the button on the
underside of the liftgate for two seconds
until you hear a confirmation chime.
3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired
height by closing the liftgate, then
reopening it.
Rear Trunk
(from the manual, page 10)

how do you keep it from hitting the low garage door the first time? Wish there was a way to open it 1/2 or a sensor to account for some low garage doors.

1. Close garage door so it is not above the car.

2. Open lift gate. Presumably it will not hit the garage ceiling.

3. Manually lower lift gate.

4. Open garage.

5. Manually move lift gate to where you want it.

6. Press button to save opening height.