Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Way to Load New Posts for Watched Forums Only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in the prior version of the forum, you could click a button and see all new posts but only for those forums that you were "watching" or "subscribed to." I don't see that feature in this version of the forum. I have the same set of "watched forums" but clicking on the "Watched Forums" button just brings me to the page lising each watched forum. I then have to go into each forum separately.

Am i missing something?

Reactions: robert774
in the prior version of the forum, you could click a button and see all new posts but only for those forums that you were "watching" or "subscribed to." I don't see that feature in this version of the forum. I have the same set of "watched forums" but clicking on the "Watched Forums" button just brings me to the page lising each watched forum. I then have to go into each forum separately.

Am i missing something?
In another thread the admins said this is not presently possible, but they are working on it. It will take some time.

I was looking for this too. Lately the New Posts feature is annoying because it is flooded with Model 3 related posts. If I want to focus on Model S posts there is no way to do it other than pouring through each individual sub-forum. I hope this is added soon!

I found a way to almost do what we want. I played around with the Search Forums functionality. I tried initially to search by date and forum (parent and child) only, but it gave me an error that I needed to narrow my search terms or something similar. I tried again with the keyword "Member", thinking this would be in every post. It seems to have worked. It allowed me to get a recent post list for the forums of my choosing, all in one list.

I am attaching a photo of the search I used.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    224.9 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: bhzmark
For what scope Jerry? I thought alerts are for specific threads or a forum? Is there a way to review alerts of all posts made since my last visit for a set of forums? In this case - the Model S forum and all its child forums?
As far as I can tell, it's the entire site. Double click on the bell and you'll get a page with posts and times. Every time there is a new post it shows up. I use it all the time because the ten pages that the new posts tab shows doesn't actually have all the new posts as there are more than ten pages of new posts unless you've just marked the forum read.

This was specially coded in the previous forum. We're working on bringing that functionality here and is a high priority. No promises, but the goal is within a couple weeks.

Ok.. we have something that's somewhat beta.
Under the Forums submenu is a link "What's New" It has various tabs that filter the new posts. Feedback welcome.

Looks promising — thanks!

Can you add some CSS to the links? I have a bookmarklet that looks for "li.discussionListItem.unread a.unreadLink" in the "new posts" section, and I'd like to use it here too.

Under the Forums submenu is a link "What's New" It has various tabs that filter the new posts. Feedback welcome.

More feedback (hope it's useful):
  • The links seem to go to the newest (most recent) unread post. If I want to follow the discussion from where I left off, I have to remember to scroll up and maybe page back. I'd prefer a link to the oldest (least recent) unread post, like "new posts" does.
  • I see some links like https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1618949 that take me to an error page. I suspect this post was deleted or hidden by a moderator, so it shouldn't be visible in the results list. Maybe the query needs an extra check for that?

So would this replace the "Watched Forums", "Watched Threads", and "New Posts" links in header? So it would read:

[ Marked Forums ]....[ Search Forums ]....[ What's New ]....[ WikiPosts ]

In the "What's New", would it be possible to separate out the two categories (so to speak)?

Top group: Recent Posts; Recent Threads; Unread Posts
Bottom group: Recent Posts (watched); Recent Threads (watched); Unread Posts (watched)

I was confused by the current layout and had to really study it for a while to figure it out. However if you break it into what I described above I think it might be more obvious for someone looking at it to understand what your are getting at: [Top= General; Bottom = my specific watched forums]. Maybe flip it since most people would like to read about what they are subscribed to.

I assume with the "What's New" it will be easier to click on with the IPhone (rather than "..." as @HankLloydRight alluded to, and what I do now). And yes, I am summoning you "Great Scott!" for your input here.

I like the "Unread Posts (watched forums)". Not sure how I will use a general "Unread Posts".

Would the General group include the "watched forums" or will you code it to separate it? If you do separate it, should it be titled "Unwatched"?

Will the "Alert" function will remain the same? (PS -- I really like the "Alert" just wish the temporal aspect of it would last longer)

For "Followed" members, the "News Feed" title is a little cryptic. Maybe change it? "Followed News", "Followed Feed", etc... (Followed Feed probably not too appetizing).

My 2 cents.

I see some links like Screen hardware specs - do newer models have better graphics hardware? that take me to an error page. I suspect this post was deleted or hidden by a moderator, so it shouldn't be visible in the results list. Maybe the query needs an extra check for that?

Today it's https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...iver-license-uniqueproducers-yandex-com.73270 — which looks like spam. I imagine the thread was deleted or hidden — good. But it still shows up in my "unread posts in watched forums" page.

At this point I've modified my bookmarklet to handle both "new posts" and "unread posts in watched forums". This works around a couple of the problems I mentioned above, at least for desktop and laptop browsers. Bookmarklets are less useful for mobile devices, so I'd still like to see a default link to "thread-id/unread" instead of to the most recent post in the thread.

In case it helps anyone else, here's my bookmarklet.

Code:
javascript:const isWatch=window.location.pathname==='/tmc/watched/unread-posts';const sel=isWatch?'li.discussionListItem .startDate a:first-child':'li.discussionListItem.unread .title a:first-child';Array.prototype.slice.call(document.querySelectorAll(sel)).reverse().slice(0,10).forEach(function(a){if(isWatch){a.href+='unread'}a.dispatchEvent(new MouseEvent('click',{bubbles:true,cancelable:true,view:window,metaKey:true}))});setTimeout(function(){location.reload()},5000)

I've only tested this with Safari 9.1.1. The basic idea is to catch up on unread threads by opening ten at a time, followed by a page refresh to update status. With Safari the first nine favorites map to number keys, and I've set it up so command-1 to shows https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/watched/unread-posts and command-2 runs this bookmarklet to open a set of tabs. Then I work my way through them, reading and closing each tab. Then I'm back at the search results, ready to open the next set. For me this is an effective way to keep up with the forums I follow. Of course if I'm interested in a particular thread I'll watch it, and this technique also works with https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/watched/threads and New Posts.

This version of the bookmarklet pulls from the bottom of "new posts" or "unread posts in watched forums". That speeds up the process of catching up with a backlog of unread threads, because the ones at the bottom tend to be less volatile. But if you prefer to see the most recently updated threads, try removing the ".reverse()" call.

If you're curious about this but unfamiliar with bookmarklets, these links may help:

Ok, now that I have used the "What's New" on the Iphone, I think I now know why the various tabs are laid out the way they are on the desktop. Please ignore my previous suggestion about restructuring the icons. The current layout works well on the Iphone.