Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to protect the windshield edge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BerTX

Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
I have had numerous rock hits on my windshield, and they reacted very well, I assumed because of the angle of the windshield. Recently we had a hit, and immediately cracked the passenger side about a foot, which grew to about 18 inches almost immediately. The hit was right on the edge of the glass, which is totally unprotected -- something I had never noticed on any other car. Most cars have a gasket around the edge at least, or even a metal trim strip.

Obviously this is a design choice, probably to reduce wind noise and/or drag.

So now I have to replace the glass at a cost of $1050, I'm researching protective trim materials in hopes to find something to stick on that will protect that edge, because it is just a matter of time until it happens again. I don't know how much wind noise will be generated (I won't hear it over the pano noise, so not too worried about that :rolleyes:) and I doubt I would be able to tell any difference in range. I'm thinking about something like the Door Side Moldings I used to stick on my cars back in the '80s to prevent door dings.
Maybe something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00029XC7...olid=3T2S49TWHI1B1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Anybody have any suggestions?

Condolences re the windshield. Can't help with the edge trim (seems like a good idea and a door edge guard would be my first thought); would recommend considering a dose of C-Bond exterior windshield coating.

After picking up 2 dime-sized stars at exactly the same height on opposite sides of the windshield in the first 6 weeks with the refreshed front end (I attribute this to the new design and the failure of AP to move left when passing large objects and to move right in the face of oncoming traffic, as moving just a foot each time would have avoided the impacts), I had those repaired and then learned of this C-Bond stuff. It's inexpensive to have applied and it comes with a decent warranty (if another star/crack or chip happens, they'll pay for the repair or refund what you paid for the initial coating)

For what it's anecdotally worth, I haven't picked up another star since the initial application. I've looked into clear films including some new stuff from South Korea, but nothing so far has made it through testing for Tesla windshields, and what is out there I've passed on for one reason or another.

The trick will be finding an authorized shop for C-Bond products out thataway (they also offer an additive for window tint application but that wouldn't help with the problem at hand given the windshield lamination) but presumably the C-Bond people can help with that. I believe they're based in Houston. If you happen to find yourself in SoCal, Extreme Autowerks in Brea will do an excellent job. Only took a couple hours from end to end.

Condolences re the windshield. Can't help with the edge trim (seems like a good idea and a door edge guard would be my first thought); would recommend considering a dose of C-Bond exterior windshield coating.

After picking up 2 dime-sized stars at exactly the same height on opposite sides of the windshield in the first 6 weeks with the refreshed front end (I attribute this to the new design and the failure of AP to move left when passing large objects and to move right in the face of oncoming traffic, as moving just a foot each time would have avoided the impacts), I had those repaired and then learned of this C-Bond stuff. It's inexpensive to have applied and it comes with a decent warranty (if another star/crack or chip happens, they'll pay for the repair or refund what you paid for the initial coating)

For what it's anecdotally worth, I haven't picked up another star since the initial application. I've looked into clear films including some new stuff from South Korea, but nothing so far has made it through testing for Tesla windshields, and what is out there I've passed on for one reason or another.

The trick will be finding an authorized shop for C-Bond products out thataway (they also offer an additive for window tint application but that wouldn't help with the problem at hand given the windshield lamination) but presumably the C-Bond people can help with that. I believe they're based in Houston. If you happen to find yourself in SoCal, Extreme Autowerks in Brea will do an excellent job. Only took a couple hours from end to end.
Interesting. Cost? You say they pay for repair -- what if it can't be repaired? I bet they won't fork over a grand to replace it...

Interesting. Cost? You say they pay for repair -- what if it can't be repaired? I bet they won't fork over a grand to replace it...

I've seen the application prices range from $100-$150 - I don't know whether that's based upon geographic region, shop choice, or upon surface area, so let's just say $150.

I understand the warranty this way - if you collect a new star, crack or chip, they'll pay to repair it up to $100 else for greater damage or replacement, they give you back the application price. Zero risk.

Since there's nothing else out there that seems to be effective, I figure what the heck. And so far, so good, although tomorrow is a new day, certainly. From what I've read, I expect the coating will help with small impacts, but if the windshield is toast from a larger impact, then I'd just apply the $150 toward the next application. My thinking being that some protection is better than no protection and it's the little chips and stars that tend to get annoying anyway at least with the last windshield that started to look a tad sandblasted. With this new coating now, practically speaking, hopefully a pebble will bounce off, but a flying lug nut would quite probably win.

I should add that I'm not a fan whatsoever of these Tesla windshields - not from 4 years ago and not from last year - both have been rippled/wavy and both have been... noticeably not durable compared to glass in all other cars I've owned. Maybe times have changed but I don't think they've changed that much.

Same thought process with the C-Bond window tint additive for theft deterrance - making the glass doubly strong as advertised is nice, but it's still not bulletproof. My objective generally speaking is to make my stuff just that much more annoying such that a thief will move on instead of dealing with the extra 10 seconds or 10 minutes that getting into my car, frunk, or abode may entail. Generally speaking, most of what I have in place wouldn't stop a professional who really wants in, but it will give the lazy opportunist a reason or two to move on.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX