Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to put car on Instant standby without sentry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park my car in my garage, but if it’s not on sentry it takes 5-15 seconds to connect to the car in app. When on sentry it’s instantly connected. My sentry keeps on recording a lot of false movements due to light bouncing off the walls.

Is there any way to have the car instantly connect in app without turning sentry on? I know there is a standby for summon (I have FSD) and it’s on but it still takes 5-15 seconds to connect without sentry on.

the car always tries to fall asleep to consume less energy. When it is sleeping and you want to reach it using the mobile app, there's a delay while an SMS is sent to the car to wake it up. Sentry prevents the car from sleeping as it needs to run the computer and cameras. Since the car is not sleeping, it can respond faster to your request.
Take note that a running car consumes 200-250w, which means 1kWh in 4-5 hours. Your battery will deplete much faster. When the car sleeps, it might only need an average of 20w, a good factor 10.
There is no toggle in the interface to "keep the car awake". Sentry keeps it awake, smart summon... cabin overheat protection might wake the car temporarily but won't keep it alive..

An additional concern is that the BMS needs to read voltages when the HV battery is disconnected, which only happens when the car sleeps. If it never sleeps, your BMS might end up with a bad estimate of the battery capacity. I don'T suggest having a car that never sleeps.

Is that 5-15 seconds really a problem?

Reactions: EmbersDC and jmaddr
One thing you can do ANY time you are about to get in your car is to turn on the environment (AC/heat) in the app as you are heading out to your car. I do this almost every time I am heading out to my car, usually 5-15 minutes in advance depending on the weather.

Reactions: SWIPE
… turn on the environment (AC/heat) in the app as you are heading out to your car
I was losing 4% state of charge overnight until I did two things: I disabled sentry mode and I close my Tesla app when I go into my house (after walk away lock is activated). In the morning when I’m heading out, I open the Tesla app, unlock the car from the app and turn on the climate system.

Loss in state-of-charge problem solved.

I was losing 4% state of charge overnight until I did two things: I disabled sentry mode and I close my Tesla app when I go into my house (after walk away lock is activated). In the morning when I’m heading out, I open the Tesla app, unlock the car from the app and turn on the climate system.

Loss in state-of-charge problem solved.
I recently started turning ON Sentry all the time for a silly reason: USB Music playback.

It used to be that as long as I turned on my environment before I got in the car, it would remember the playback position. With a recent update, that "functionality*" was taken away. So I have turn on Sentry to get around that: phantom drain be damned.

*This wasn't a feature: it was a workaround for a bug. The USB playback in this car is atrocious.

Reactions: SWIPE
With Sentry mode turned on the Tesla stays powered on. Energy consumption is 6% of the battery per 24 hours, approximately 4.5kWh. Depending on what you pay per kWh it could easily cost $1 per day.

Periodically the Tesla Model Y's battery management system will measure the open cell voltage (OCV) of the cells within the battery pack. The OCV measurement enables the battery management system to more accurately determine the state of the battery. The OCV can only be measured when the high voltage battery pack is disconnected from the vehicle, i.e. when the Tesla Model Y is powered down as in sleep mode.