Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to recover Dashcam footage after parking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I screwed up today when I got hit by an electronic gate at work at the checkpoint. Dealing with my mask and badges then getting hit, I just pulled over got out of the car and looked for the damage. I completly forgot to hit the button to save dashcam footage before I parked and got out. When I reviewed the SSD drive after the incident there was nothing there. Is the footage stored somewhere else?

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
My recent folder only had footage from yesterday.

Oh daaang. Unfortunately the DashCam implementation is still really unreliable. Don't think there's anything you can do, sorry.

should be recorded. try to recover it with i.e. tuneup. i hope you unplugged the drive straight away and havnt reused it.

Since their recent folder wasn't actually recent, that implies it was unfortunately never recorded in the first place, so nothing to recover.

Oh daaang. Unfortunately the DashCam implementation is still really unreliable. Don't think there's anything you can do, sorry.

Since their recent folder wasn't actually recent, that implies it was unfortunately never recorded in the first place, so nothing to recover.
I tried the file recovery and this is my conclusion, there is nothing to recover because it was no recording for some reason (I have been getting allot of updates, so it looks like the last one stopped the camera from recording....

I tried the file recovery and this is my conclusion, there is nothing to recover because it was no recording for some reason (I have been getting allot of updates, so it looks like the last one stopped the camera from recording....

It's not necessarily updates. It's very picky about drives (for reasons no one can seem to figure out), and just sometimes doesn't work despite not throwing any caution.

Would have hitting the horn saved the footage? I'm unclear as to the timing of what's saved when you honk the horn; from minutes before the honk and until how long after the honk.

There was no footage to save.

The only thing honking the horn does (or manually hitting save- or even a sentry alert triggering) is to move the previous 10 minutes of recordings from recent to saved (or sentry).

In this case there was nothing being recorded in the recent folder, so nothing would've been preserved.

I’m very peeved about the change with dashcam functionality. Previously it used to record every drive and keep the footage. Now it just keeps footage from honks or manual button presses on the MCU. Is anyone aware as to why they crippled the functionality like this?

Tony, are you stating that the normal dashcam feature (recording all the time when driving) is broken for everyone?

Correct. I was planning on removing my windshield mounted 3rd party dashcam that I’ve had installed since I bought the car (prior to the native dashcam software update) and decided to review some vids to make sure the car’s dashcam recordings were working fine. I was surprised to see that only the “event” clips were saved which was pretty much only the clips from when I honked the horn. That plus Sentry clips were all that were available. After formatting my microSD card a couple times thinking it was something going on with my car I decided to start researching online. Turns out the functionality of the built in dashcam changed at some point earlier this year and it wasn’t documented. It no longer saves every drive and just overwrites when the drive gets full. It only saves events via honk or manually pressing the camera icon for long term.

Suffice to say, I did not remove my 3rd party dashcam since the built-in functionality has been downgraded. And I’m very confident that the vast majority of owners are not aware of this because they likely don’t review their footage unless they have a reason to.

the dashcam records all drives till they are overwritten - oldest clip gets overwritten when you run out of space.

Not anymore.

Last edited: