Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to recover Dashcam footage after parking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. I was planning on removing my windshield mounted 3rd party dashcam that I’ve had installed since I bought the car (prior to the native dashcam software update) and decided to review some vids to make sure the car’s dashcam recordings were working fine. I was surprised to see that only the “event” clips were saved which was pretty much only the clips from when I honked the horn. That plus Sentry clips were all that were available. After formatting my microSD card a couple times thinking it was something going on with my car I decided to start researching online. Turns out the functionality of the built in dashcam changed at some point earlier this year and it wasn’t documented. It no longer saves every drive and just overwrites when the drive gets full. It only saves events via honk or manually pressing the camera icon for long term.

Suffice to say, I did not remove my 3rd party dashcam since the built-in functionality has been downgraded. And I’m very confident that the vast majority of owners are not aware of this because they likely don’t review their footage unless they have a reason to.

Not anymore.
My wife was hit on the side, the other driver is blaming her. They were at the end of the merge lane. Tried to see the footage and all I found was old videos from February! WTH? I was sure that it kept overriding over the oldest files. But NO!!! Can anyone educate me?

My wife was hit on the side, the other driver is blaming her. They were at the end of the merge lane. Tried to see the footage and all I found was old videos from February! WTH? I was sure that it kept overriding over the oldest files. But NO!!! Can anyone educate me?
Is it possible the Dashcam function was turned off? Since v11, we have no easy way of knowing if it’s recording or not. In v10 and prior the dashcam icon was on the upper right corner of the map screen but now it’s hidden in the car settings menu. Now I have no way of knowing if there is an error or not unless I happen to see it when I got into the settings menu. That’s how I learned it recently was not recording reliably due to the ongoing firmware issue

The system has 3 places video might exist.

The dashcam by default saves to the recent folder-- this is the ONLY place any direct recording is done.... and it erases anything more than 1 hour old in the 'recent' folder.

If you want to save anything longer term you need to either manually save it (via the button, or a honk if you set it up that way- which moved the last 10 minutes of recent footage to the saved folder and is never overwritten.... Or you need to be parked with sentry on- in which case it moves the last 10 minutes of recent footage to the Sentry folder, which IS overwritten but only if the drive is almost entirely full, in which case it overwrites the oldest stuff there).

Is it possible the Dashcam function was turned off? Since v11, we have no easy way of knowing if it’s recording or not. In v10 and prior the dashcam icon was on the upper right corner of the map screen but now it’s hidden in the car settings menu. Now I have no way of knowing if there is an error or not unless I happen to see it when I got into the settings menu. That’s how I learned it recently was not recording reliably due to the ongoing firmware issue
It’s actually possible now to place the icon on the bottom of the screen so you can see it all the time.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ

The dashcam by default saves to the recent folder-- this is the ONLY place any direct recording is done.... and it erases anything more than 1 hour old in the 'recent' folder.

If you want to save anything longer term you need to either manually save it (via the button, or a honk if you set it up that way- which moved the last 10 minutes of recent footage to the saved folder and is never overwritten.... Or you need to be parked with sentry on- in which case it moves the last 10 minutes of recent footage to the Sentry folder, which IS overwritten but only if the drive is almost entirely full, in which case it overwrites the oldest stuff there).
Th

I could not find the footage, reformatTed the drive. Was just a minor touch with side mirror, and they accepted it was their fault. Thanks for your great info.

Thank you