Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to see supercharger rates on nav in car with free supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
How does one figure out what the tiered peak and off peak rates are at superchargers? Can someone who doesn't have free supercharging see what the rates are on the nav anytime they want? I ask because I have FUSC in my current S and it appears I can't see the rates which makes sense but it doesn't provide very good transparency for those who don't own a Tesla that are trying to pencil out cost of gas vs cost of charging per mile.

Why does it cost more per kwh for the highest tier? It looks like it punishes those that pull in with a low SOC, charge fast, and get out fast. At least in the article I read that gave the 0-60kw @ 0.12 cents vs 180-250 kw @ 1.35 cents. Maybe it's not like that everywhere and it was a bad example?

Is it still peak and off peak in California with the new tiered pricing?

Why can't tesla just charge per kwh based on time of use? If they're going to do the tiered thing, you'd think the only reason would be to encourage behaviors that result in spending the least time at superchargers rather than charging to higher SOCs and arriving at higher SOCs to reduce per kwh cost even if it means staying at each charger longer.....or doing things like NOT actively navigating to prevent the battery heater from pre-heating for faster charging.

Not really answering your question, but I think the tiered pricing in some locations is because they are not legally allowed to sell electricity by the kWh (due to not being an electricity supplier, or not having the correct type of approved meter or something like that), so they have to workaround by selling it on a time basis, and the tiering crudely compensates for this. Note that over here is is charged by the kWh so it's dependent on the rules related to selling electricity.

I think anyway...

Can't offer any advice on how to see the pricing if you have free supercharging. I guess you theoretically can see it on the car nav if you're pay-per-use but I've never actually looked. Here's some charges from my account from a recent trip. Seems to work out pretty well in practice.

1641581246429.png

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
If you log-in at Tesla.com to your account, you can see your supercharging over the life of your car, and even download the logs. Not sure if that is what you are looking for. Sounds like you are more interested in why Public Utilities Commissions allow Utilities to do what they do.

Tesla gets hammered on what are called Demand Charges for most (all?) of their supercharger locations. Demand charges are high because it is more difficult and expensive for a power producer to accommodate 150 KW for one hour compared to 1 KW for 150 hours. Same energy, delivered vastly different. That is why there are different rate tiers everywhere. Way oversimplified, however.

Reactions: cwerdna
Imagine, Tesla not being transparent....
Here in NC, they allow kwh charging. Interestingly, in July 2019 - it was time. Hard to imagine that NC changed the law between then and now but maybe. I am not sure that I supercharged between July 2019 and July 2021 so not sure when the change happened.

In 7/2021 - the net charge was 27 cents a kwh.
In 9/2021 - it was up to 32 cents a kwh.

Note - same supercharger. We live (as most do) in a land of a single regulated monopoly electric carrier. My home rate nets about 11.5 cents and there is no TOU or demand charges. And no recent changes either. Certainly, commercial sites have demand charges and probably TOU.
If someone plans to live on supercharging, they are using a monopoly that can raise rates 20% whenever they feel like it. That is the most transparent answer.

Also, if someone chooses to do that, they are going to pay more than gas in many markets. If it isn't more, it certainly isn't a signficant savings. It is close to parity.

But if you have free lifetime SC it doesn't show anything useful.

View attachment 755366
Actually, here is the trick to download actual CSV file showing all the good supercharging info:

--Go to Tesla.com
--Account
--Sign In
--Charging
--Show:50
--Next...Next...Next (all the way to the bottom)
--Yearly screen will magically appear!
--Download months

Actually, here is the trick to download actual CSV file showing all the good supercharging info:

--Go to Tesla.com
--Account
--Sign In
--Charging
--dropdown at the bottom select last page
--snip
--snip
--Download months
i saw that and figured it would just display the same info, but how about that it does show what the cost would've been if i didn't have free SC. Well not the totals but it gives all the math I easily did a =SUM(H3*N3) and a =AVERAGE(O2:O28) looks like my average was $10.62 and my total was $138.10 annoying part though i had to remove all the kwh and / from the cells before the math would work but it was easy ctrl F and replace all.

This is very helpful, now i can not only make my free SC value spreadsheet more accurate but it allows me to be able to tell people what they can expect to pay at a SC since most folks have to pay nowadays.

Captur e.JPG