Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to set Tesla app to Self powered from 8am-noon and TBC-cost saving rest of time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why Powerwall would behave this way. In Cost Saving mode, one would expect that it will try to maximize the saving. That means, it should provide max power during the peak period. Not provide power during off peak, and run out of power during peak. That sounds contrary to the name "cost saving mode". In fact, that behavior sounds more in line with "balance mode", where the main concern is to stay off-grid as long as possible.
Part of the problem is that Tesla doesn't really collect enough data about the user's utility plan and rules to truly optimize it. In order to make a really good optimization, I believe you would need both the grid consumption and grid export price for each TOU period. This could encapsulate things like lack of net metering, non-bypassable charges, etc.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Part of the problem is that Tesla doesn't really collect enough data about the user's utility plan and rules to truly optimize it. In order to make a really good optimization, I believe you would need both the grid consumption and grid export price for each TOU period. This could encapsulate things like lack of net metering, non-bypassable charges, etc.
No matter what they call it, loving just using balanced. As I am watching now, I set peak at 3pm to 1pa, and my PW's are running the house 100%, and the solar is 100% going back to the grid.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
After a lot of brain cycles and playing around with the App Settings, I settled on TOU - Balanced.
I am on PG&E TOU-B (M-F 4-9pm Peak, all others off peak). I believe everyone has to play around with it and then settle into what you are comfortable with using. The system is like a new toy you want to teak constantly. :) Now I'm more concerned with having consistent data in my reports than changing modes, etc.

I think the behavior is far more controlled by the size of your PV system related to your home use than anything else.
Right now I'm effectively off grid because we started producing more than home usage in January (gas heating).
In the Summer when we are using nearly 100kWh per day and only producing 70-80 kWh, the system will make sure we have zero peak usage (and export PV production during peak times). That's about all I can ask for really...

I used to be really tied up with NBCs, but when you consider the 90% round trip efficiency of the system I wonder if it's really that important.

Reactions: miimura
After a lot of brain cycles and playing around with the App Settings, I settled on TOU - Balanced.
I am on PG&E TOU-B (M-F 4-9pm Peak, all others off peak). I believe everyone has to play around with it and then settle into what you are comfortable with using. The system is like a new toy you want to teak constantly. :) Now I'm more concerned with having consistent data in my reports than changing modes, etc.

I think the behavior is far more controlled by the size of your PV system related to your home use than anything else.
Right now I'm effectively off grid because we started producing more than home usage in January (gas heating).
In the Summer when we are using nearly 100kWh per day and only producing 70-80 kWh, the system will make sure we have zero peak usage (and export PV production during peak times). That's about all I can ask for really...

I used to be really tied up with NBCs, but when you consider the 90% round trip efficiency of the system I wonder if it's really that important.
Such a HUGE difference when ones heat is gas!!!!