Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to set Tesla app to Self powered from 8am-noon and TBC-cost saving rest of time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I saw with Shoulder is that on Friday's the PWs would discharge during Shoulder to get SOC lower for the longer Off Peak periods on the weekend. There were some other odd things that I don't remember the details. I didn't like this so I just made everything other than Peak equal Off Peak in Cost Savings mode. Now my PWs only discharge during Peak and only charge before Peak starts. My Peak is 2pm to 9pm under EVA-1
Starting to look at this.

So assuming I end up on ev2-a, the higher costs, both peak and shoulder are 3 pm to 12 pm. So ideally I use 100% pw's during this time, and any solar would 100% go back to grid at the higher costs. I seem to only be able to get it to 11:50pm. Should it go to 12?

Now you said I believe that you just set the rest of you time as off peak. So what happens since there is no solar? Will it do 100% from the battery if you are above the reserve level set? And I assume when solar kicks in it would be used for house first, and any left over would charge the batteries? If so, depending on how much solar vs house, one might not fully recharge batteries?

Since it costs money to pull from the grid, my goal ideally is to use as little as possible. So I assume the only way to attack this is to set your reserve level low, and hope one has enough solar to power the house and charge the batteries?

Just trying to figure out best approach

TBC-balanced experiment today not going as desired. Erratic shoulder behavior with most solar being sent to grid with only a small fraction going to recharge PW initially. Then PW recharging stopped altogether at 90% with all solar going to grid. Think I will just stay with the manual approach for now =/

TBC-balanced experiment today not going as desired. Erratic shoulder behavior with most solar being sent to grid with only a small fraction going to recharge PW initially. Then PW recharging stopped altogether at 90% with all solar going to grid. Think I will just stay with the manual approach for now =/
That's odd that it would only charge to 90%. Did it stop based on the hours you had scheduled? Are you sure it is on Balanced and not Cost Saving? We use Balanced and given enough sun and time, it will always charge to 100%.

it should go tp 12. Make sure you are grabbing the right bar to move
I have tried a number of times, but the stupid curved edge on my note phone is probably the issue
That's odd that it would only charge to 90%. Did it stop based on the hours you had scheduled? Are you sure it is on Balanced and not Cost Saving? We use Balanced and given enough sun and time, it will always charge to 100%.
why use balance vs cost savings?

I have tried a number of times, but the stupid curved edge on my note phone is probably the issue

why use balance vs cost savings?
Sometimes I'll accidentally change it to Cost Savings when on that screen and then I'll find the solar or Powerwalls not functioning as I would expect. It will be exporting solar instead of charging the Powerwalls or something else weird. With Balanced, I know it will be charging/discharging the Powerwalls as expected and I can schedule when it will power the house from the grid, etc.

For example, in this image, I was using Balanced and had off-peak scheduled to start at 3 am so I could charge a couple cars. They are mostly charged from the grid but then the Powerwalls are able to kick in and assist since they know the sun will be up shortly and solar will recharge them. The Powerwalls are charged up and solar powers the house. Once peak starts, the Powerwalls take over and power things until 3 am the next morning. There's a trickle of grid power used outside peak period but it's negligible.
Screenshot_20210310-123525_Tesla.jpg

Compare that to a day when I found it was accidentally on Cost Savings and it was discharging the Powerwalls outside of peak to charge the cars when I was expecting the cars to be charged via solar. I hadn't intentionally set it to Cost Savings so as soon as I noticed, I switched it back and it charged the Powerwalls as expected and then exported the solar during peak.
Screenshot_20210310-123424_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Sometimes I'll accidentally change it to Cost Savings when on that screen and then I'll find the solar or Powerwalls not functioning as I would expect. It will be exporting solar instead of charging the Powerwalls or something else weird. With Balanced, I know it will be charging/discharging the Powerwalls as expected and I can schedule when it will power the house from the grid, etc.
Okay, just put it to balanced to see what happens. With the rain today, very little solar and my batteries just came out of storm watch

Okay, just put it to balanced to see what happens. With the rain today, very little solar and my batteries just came out of storm watch
I added a couple examples right as you replied so you might want to scroll back up to see what I was referring to.

Good luck with your experiment. We're expecting a possible HUGE snowstorm this weekend so I'm expecting Storm Watch to be enabled tomorrow night. I bumped up the reserve, just in case as they are throwing out numbers from 12" to 72" of snow this weekend!

I added a couple examples right as you replied so you might want to scroll back up to see what I was referring to.

Good luck with your experiment. We're expecting a possible HUGE snowstorm this weekend so I'm expecting Storm Watch to be enabled tomorrow night. I bumped up the reserve, just in case as they are throwing out numbers from 12" to 72" of snow this weekend!
Thanks, good luck. At least I know if I messed up batteries, I can just turn on my 22K whole house generator, and still keep wife happy.

I don't know why it behaved as it did but definitely had all the proper settings in place. As soon as I reverted back to my manual ways, it did exactly what I wanted. May have to look into the API thing, even though I am not entirely comfortable using an unofficial workaround.

As Wayne is suggesting, I may just need to leave it alone for a week or two and see what happens. Not sure if my severe OCD will let me do this though.

Starting to look at this.

So assuming I end up on ev2-a, the higher costs, both peak and shoulder are 3 pm to 12 pm. So ideally I use 100% pw's during this time, and any solar would 100% go back to grid at the higher costs. I seem to only be able to get it to 11:50pm. Should it go to 12?

Now you said I believe that you just set the rest of you time as off peak. So what happens since there is no solar? Will it do 100% from the battery if you are above the reserve level set? And I assume when solar kicks in it would be used for house first, and any left over would charge the batteries? If so, depending on how much solar vs house, one might not fully recharge batteries?

Since it costs money to pull from the grid, my goal ideally is to use as little as possible. So I assume the only way to attack this is to set your reserve level low, and hope one has enough solar to power the house and charge the batteries?

Just trying to figure out best approach
I am on EV-A and have my peak set from 3pm to 12am everyday. It is working fine and start drawing energy from the PW and send solar to the grid everyday starting at 3pm

The handle with the open circle is the beginning of the specified period. If you want Off-Peak to start at midnight, the open circle for the Off-Peak has to be all the way to the left side of the time slider. It only goes to 23:30 on the right side.

2020-02-20_EV2-A Schedule.jpg

Last edited:
I am on EV-A and have my peak set from 3pm to 12am everyday. It is working fine and start drawing energy from the PW and send solar to the grid everyday starting at 3pm
why do you have peak 3pm to 12am?
Under EVA-1 peak is 2pm to 9pm
Under EVA-2 peak is 4pm to 9pm

does no good to use PWs from 9pm to 12am from a cost savings perspective