TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any way to tell date of manufacture from VIN?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by seyclone, Jul 16, 2018.

1. seyclone

seyclone Member

I placed my reservation on 6/24/2018 and paid the $2500.00 payment on 6/28/2018. I received a VIN ending 026XXX on the 28th (I don't know why nobody ever enters the last 3 digits, but "when in Rome")

My question is: Can date of manufacture be determined by the last 6 digits of the VIN?

Picking up the car tomorrow after a couple of shipping delays. I can't imagine how folks who reserved 2 years ago and still don't have a delivery date must feel. I waited all of 3 weeks and I'm besides myself.

syclone35

2. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

What's the spec?

3. lee619

lee619 Member

You cant tell manufacture date by the vin only but when you get your car, check the sticker on the side panel of your front door when you open it. The manufacture date will be on there.

4. seyclone

seyclone Member

• Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive
    • Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
    • 18’’ Aero Wheels
    • Premium Interior
    • Premium Black
    • Enhanced Autopilot

5. seyclone

seyclone Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll know tomorrow.

6. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Your ISA usually will also know but you will have your car before you hear back from them.

7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Specific date, no, Month, yes. Just Google VIN

8. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Delivery person can look it up to the minute it rolled off the line.

9. Krash

Krash Data Technician

Many at Tesla can tell you. Including within the online chat. I think for more than a year now you will only get the week of manufacture from any method. It looks like a day but all the vehicles within a week only appear that day.

10. doreamon28

doreamon28 Member

11. Beardco

Beardco Member

I received an email telling me the exact time my vehicle came off the assembly line. In my case, it was 2:38 am.

So far, it seems the graveyard shift makes an excellent vehicle. No empty liquor bottles in the trunk, either.

12. Troy916

Troy916 Member

That does not apply to Tesla. The Tesla VIN only contains the year of mfg, not the month.
    see https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/9d71d5c8-a6ff-45de-88ae-8ea1da8dd324
    (found by searching for Tesla as the name at Welcome to MID :: provided by vPIC - MID then searching for 2018)

btw, my first contact from the ISA stated "You now have a VIN", i took that to mean the car has entered production.

13. doreamon28

doreamon28 Member

WoW! Thanks! That looks like official! Anyway, just emailed my ISA to ask for it!

14. Troy916

Troy916 Member

My first chance to see the VIN was in the estimated MVPA that the ISA sent. It still does not show up online.

15. Chris350

Chris350 Member

I have the same confirm... except I have the FSD....

VIN# 258XX - Manufacture Date: 6/18

16. Reid

Reid Member

Wow. Much later than I would have thought. I configured May 16 and I had 2217x VIN and assumed it was from April or something, considering the newest VIN # must be over 50k by now. Our car got changed and now we're at a 37,59x VIN. Probably one of the "300 missing spot welds" cars :D

17. Chris350

Chris350 Member

Yeah.... It is interesting....

A batch of MSM config's for those that placed a configuration on 6/27-28 seemed to be batched in the 24XXX-28XXX VIN area... I got nervous because I was also seeing the same config being issued in the 35XXX- 38XXX area... My first thought was that mine must of been a rejected car.... But as the 24XXX-28XXX started getting delivered, everyone was reporting the late 5/18 - early 6/18 manufacture date for that batch of VIN's.

18. RayK

RayK Member

Hmm... my 444xx VIN was given to me by Las Vegas on 6/28, 11 days after ordering. My door jamb label has 6/18 which I read as June 2018. I assumed that my car was already sitting on the lot from the quickness it was assigned to me. Now I wonder if it was built after I ordered. Guess I'll send an email to my ISA asking for the birthday of my car.