Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to tell date of manufacture from VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my reservation on 6/24/2018 and paid the $2500.00 payment on 6/28/2018. I received a VIN ending 026XXX on the 28th (I don't know why nobody ever enters the last 3 digits, but "when in Rome")

My question is: Can date of manufacture be determined by the last 6 digits of the VIN?

Picking up the car tomorrow after a couple of shipping delays. I can't imagine how folks who reserved 2 years ago and still don't have a delivery date must feel. I waited all of 3 weeks and I'm besides myself.

syclone35

I placed my reservation on 6/24/2018 and paid the $2500.00 payment on 6/28/2018. I received a VIN ending 026XXX on the 28th (I don't know why nobody ever enters the last 3 digits, but "when in Rome")

My question is: Can date of manufacture be determined by the last 6 digits of the VIN?

Picking up the car tomorrow after a couple of shipping delays. I can't imagine how folks who reserved 2 years ago and still don't have a delivery date must feel. I waited all of 3 weeks and I'm besides myself.

syclone35

What's the spec?

• Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels
  • Premium Interior
  • Premium Black
  • Enhanced Autopilot
You cant tell manufacture date by the vin only but when you get your car, check the sticker on the side panel of your front door when you open it. The manufacture date will be on there.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll know tomorrow.

syclone35
Specific date, no, Month, yes. Just Google VIN

syclone35
Delivery person can look it up to the minute it rolled off the line.

You can know the manufacturer month and year from the VIN, but not the last 6 digits. It is in the middle.

Read this: Find out any car’s manufacturing date in 4 simple steps to avoid being cheated by car dealers

That does not apply to Tesla. The Tesla VIN only contains the year of mfg, not the month.
see https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/9d71d5c8-a6ff-45de-88ae-8ea1da8dd324
(found by searching for Tesla as the name at Welcome to MID :: provided by vPIC - MID then searching for 2018)

btw, my first contact from the ISA stated "You now have a VIN", i took that to mean the car has entered production.

That does not apply to Tesla. The Tesla VIN only contains the year of mfg, not the month.
see https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/9d71d5c8-a6ff-45de-88ae-8ea1da8dd324
(found by searching for Tesla as the name at Welcome to MID :: provided by vPIC - MID then searching for 2018)

btw, my first contact from the ISA stated "You now have a VIN", i took that to mean the car has entered production.

WoW! Thanks! That looks like official! Anyway, just emailed my ISA to ask for it!

syclone35

I have the same confirm... except I have the FSD....

VIN# 258XX - Manufacture Date: 6/18

Wow. Much later than I would have thought. I configured May 16 and I had 2217x VIN and assumed it was from April or something, considering the newest VIN # must be over 50k by now. Our car got changed and now we're at a 37,59x VIN. Probably one of the "300 missing spot welds" cars :D

Yeah.... It is interesting....

A batch of MSM config's for those that placed a configuration on 6/27-28 seemed to be batched in the 24XXX-28XXX VIN area... I got nervous because I was also seeing the same config being issued in the 35XXX- 38XXX area... My first thought was that mine must of been a rejected car.... But as the 24XXX-28XXX started getting delivered, everyone was reporting the late 5/18 - early 6/18 manufacture date for that batch of VIN's.

Hmm... my 444xx VIN was given to me by Las Vegas on 6/28, 11 days after ordering. My door jamb label has 6/18 which I read as June 2018. I assumed that my car was already sitting on the lot from the quickness it was assigned to me. Now I wonder if it was built after I ordered. Guess I'll send an email to my ISA asking for the birthday of my car.

Hi I am wondering what month my Model 3 rolled off the factory so I can know if I have the updated headlights or no I am vin 99thousand 600s or high 600s Got delivery in 2016 September. How can I find that out ??
The easiest way is to look at the tag on the door frame on the drivers side. It will have month and year of manufacturer.