Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to tell if a car has free supercharging from the UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok cool I'll just try it for a minute and like you say it'll show if free. I'm not sure there's really any Model S or X that doesn't have free supercharging I hope!

Yes there are, as free Supercharging doesn't transfer with vehicles purchased after the program change. (January, 2017 if I recall correctly.) So people are seeing the free Supercharging removed after they buy a used Tesla that had free supercharging.

I've never seen the word "free" when supercharging my S -- nor should I since I paid $2,500 for it. I see the actual dollar amount when supercharging my 3.

I'm not sure there's really any Model S or X that doesn't have free supercharging I hope!

When there were 40, 60 and 85 batteries, you had to pay $2,500 to activate supercharging on a 60 -- or it came activated with the more expensive 85 (not free -- you just had no choice but to pay for it). Plus, there were the 40's, which really were software locked 60's, but they didn't let people pay to unlock supercharging for the 40's. For the 60's they even had a sale on it once...

T9I9tLl.png

Those cars are still out there but you won't find one as a Tesla loaner.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I've never seen the word "free" when supercharging my S. I see the actual dollar amount when supercharging my 3.

When there were 40, 60 and 85 batteries, you had to pay $2,500 to activate supercharging on a 60 -- or it came free with the more expensive 85 (not free really since you had no choice but to pay for it). Plus, there were the 40's, which really were software locked 60's, but they didn't let people pay to unlock supercharging for the 40's. For the 60's they even had a sale on it once...

Those cars are still out there but you won't find one as a Tesla loaner.

The original 60s had no supercharging at all, unless you paid to unlock it. You couldn't pay per supercharging session, like you can with the newer cars.

Yes there are, as free Supercharging doesn't transfer with vehicles purchased after the program change. (January, 2017 if I recall correctly.) So people are seeing the free Supercharging removed after they buy a used Tesla that had free supercharging.

The CPO Tesla's on the Canada website say they come with free supercharging, so buying a used CPO keeps it enabled. Perhaps it is a used private sale you are talking about about?