TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Any way to tell if a car has free supercharging from the UI?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Falkirk, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Falkirk

Falkirk Member

I just got a Model S loaner, I am guessing it has free supercharging but would like to know if there's somewhere in the UI that states that? I'll check with Tesla before doing it but would be good to know beforehand.

Thanks!

2. Kuhz

Kuhz Member

It will say right on the screen when supercharging. However I’d assume loaners have free supercharging

3. Falkirk

Falkirk Member

Ok cool I'll just try it for a minute and like you say it'll show if free. I'm not sure there's really any Model S or X that doesn't have free supercharging I hope!

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Yes there are, as free Supercharging doesn't transfer with vehicles purchased after the program change. (January, 2017 if I recall correctly.) So people are seeing the free Supercharging removed after they buy a used Tesla that had free supercharging.

5. Mike75d

Mike75d Member

Loaners usually show $0.00 On charging screen

6. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

#6 Canuck, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    I've never seen the word "free" when supercharging my S -- nor should I since I paid $2,500 for it. I see the actual dollar amount when supercharging my 3.

When there were 40, 60 and 85 batteries, you had to pay $2,500 to activate supercharging on a 60 -- or it came activated with the more expensive 85 (not free -- you just had no choice but to pay for it). Plus, there were the 40's, which really were software locked 60's, but they didn't let people pay to unlock supercharging for the 40's. For the 60's they even had a sale on it once...

T9I9tLl.png

Those cars are still out there but you won't find one as a Tesla loaner.

• Informative x 1
  7. markb1

markb1 Active Member

The original 60s had no supercharging at all, unless you paid to unlock it. You couldn't pay per supercharging session, like you can with the newer cars.

8. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Yes, that's exactly what I said. It was a $2,500 option at the time of purchase -- or pay the same amount later -- or less when they had that sale. You must have misread my post.

9. pcons

pcons Support Movember: https://mobro.co/13874276?mc=1

The CPO Tesla's on the Canada website say they come with free supercharging, so buying a used CPO keeps it enabled. Perhaps it is a used private sale you are talking about about?

10. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

You don't get charged for supercharging loaner cars either way.

11. PatrickCH4313

PatrickCH4313 Member

Using the apps "Remote S", you can download the "Vehicles Data" and the free supercharging code is "SC05".

• Informative x 1
  12. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

You're not going to be able to do that on a loaner, as they don't give you app/account access to them.

13. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Ok, see. I think it was $2,000 at time of purchase, though.

• Informative x 1