Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any way to upgrade the dome lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for the round map lights in the ceiling. Haven't seen any replacements sold anywhere.

This is the push on push off map light used in the MS. I purchased this from Service for $70.00 USD each. Is this what you are referring to?

Attachments

• Dome1.jpg
    Dome1.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 1,129
  • Dome2.jpg
    Dome2.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 910
  • Dome3.jpg
    Dome3.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 851
  • Dome4.jpg
    Dome4.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 844
  • Dome5.jpg
    Dome5.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 882
I've removed the headlight / hazard light assembly in the Model 3, and I don't see an easy way to replace the dome lights. The module is integrated with the car microphone, dome lights, and hazard lights.

I didn't look too closely, but didn't see an obvious way to detach the dome light portions.

So @chojn1 ... you're just going to drop that video there and not provide any more details on how you configured that awesome setup... o_O

Sorry about that. Was not sure if anyone was interested.
Open the right side of the center console.
There is a two wire (brown and white) plug which connects the LED from inside the middle center console to 12v.
Unplug this, and plug in your own 12v LED. The plug/connector is the same one used in all the interior LED's.
Attach that LED to the underside of the display mount.
The lid open/close sensor is not wired in line with this power line, so you're good to go.

20180924_072041.jpg

This is the LED strip and connector I used for the trunk. You only need a strip of 3 LED for this purpose.

20180703_090950.jpg

There is a two wire (brown and white) plug which connects the LED from inside the middle center console to 12v.
Unplug this, and plug in your own 12v LED. The plug/connector is the same one used in all the interior LED's.
The lid open/close sensor is not wired in line with this power line, so you're good to go.

View attachment 339269

This is the LED strip and connector I used for the trunk. You only need a strip of 3 LED for this purpose.

View attachment 339268

Where did you get the LED connector from? I'd like to avoid cutting any internal wires and make a splitter for both center console and phone area lighting. Thanks!

View attachment 339269

View attachment 339268

Wouldn't this solution mean we would lose lighting in the center console though?

Wouldn't this solution mean we would lose lighting in the center console though?
You could tap the line and keep both lights (the oem recessed light in the bin in addition to the new light from under the display). After testing with both lights, I found the recessed light to be unnecessary and a waste of energy given the relative brightness of the new LEDs.

View attachment 339269

View attachment 339268
Hi sir, is the red/black wire visible on the short way to the underside display final position or there is any way for hiding?? Many thanks