Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any ways for OP to delete thread?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is brought up before but from time to time there are threads that worth deleting by admin or OP, either it is getting off-topic, offensive, duplicate, or simply scam.

Is there any way for OP to do that?

Please advise, thanks!

Generally, the admins' guidance is that threads do not get deleted or closed except under special circumstances, so keep that in mind as well.
@ohmman I think that an OP-delete-option, and/or a mod guidance/rule on deleting or merging, would be very useful for an especially annoying and recurring issue with this forum: Several threads on the same topic being created with minutes or hours intervals. This almost always happens when "big news" drops. For example, Nvidia launched the "Pegasus" self-driving platform today, and two threads were created with like 3 minutes intervals. People curious and interested in that stuff have to follow two instead of one thread on the subject. Time wasted, information "lost" and a lot of unnecessary noise added. Deleting one of them or (even better) merging them wouldn't imply any critique by the moderators and should be welcomed by all of us members IMO. Of course I understand there are counter-arguments to this suggestion but have you considered it? What do you think?

Reactions: r6bruin
@ohmman I think that an OP-delete-option, and/or a mod guidance/rule on deleting or merging, would be very useful for an especially annoying and recurring issue with this forum: Several threads on the same topic being created with minutes or hours intervals. This almost always happens when "big news" drops. For example, Nvidia launched the "Pegasus" self-driving platform today, and two threads were created with like 3 minutes intervals. People curious and interested in that stuff have to follow two instead of one thread on the subject. Time wasted, information "lost" and a lot of unnecessary noise added. Deleting one of them or (even better) merging them wouldn't imply any critique by the moderators and should be welcomed by all of us members IMO. Of course I understand there are counter-arguments to this suggestion but have you considered it? What do you think?
So there is a difference between site/forum moderators and the administrators. The admins are @danny and @doug, and they make decisions about that sort of functionality. Moderators are volunteers, and we enforce their site rules and try to maintain order.

As far as my opinion on your suggestion, I think it gets complicated once there are replies. If the OP deletes a thread that has only their post, that's one thing. But once you get other members' content into the thread, you're suggesting that someone can delete their content. This could raise situations where someone posts something, gets pushback, and deletes it for personal reasons instead of site enriching reasons.

For now, the best way to deal with duplicates is to report them, and if you're feeling very generous, include the link to the duplicate post in your report. That way the moderators can quickly merge them.

Something like "Duplicate of <paste thread URL here>" works great.