Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ANY white without a mismatched rear bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to think that this issue exists in all White Ys. Has anyone seen or received a White Y without a paint mismatch issue?

Recent ones seem subtle but it's still there... Maybe it's not a build defect but is just the way it is with this color?

I had a 2012 Pearl White (same paint process Tesla uses on their white cars) Prius... everything matched but the rear bumper cover. It has something to do with spraying the paint on black plastic vs metal. Tesla could get it to match, but extra work would be required.

Reactions: Mooroo
I had a 2012 Pearl White (same paint process Tesla uses on their white cars) Prius... everything matched but the rear bumper cover. It has something to do with spraying the paint on black plastic vs metal. Tesla could get it to match, but extra work would be required.

Most white cars, across numerous manufacturers, have paint color differences between the metal parts and plastic parts. More importantly, has to be, 50% of white MYs have different colored doors. My MY is in the body shop getting its passenger side doors re-painted. Was not aware that different paint colors was a potential issue when I took delivery. Hard to notice in the restricted space when I reviewed the car, it was parked between two other cars. Noticed it the next day walking up to car while parked in the driveway.

Here's a good example of a new MY with the paint issue .... watched it be delivered to the dealer off a car carrier as I sat charging my car.

Attachments

• Tesla - White.jpg
    Tesla - White.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Most white cars, across numerous manufacturers, have paint color differences between the metal parts and plastic parts. More importantly, has to be, 50% of white MYs have different colored doors. My MY is in the body shop getting its passenger side doors re-painted. Was not aware that different paint colors was a potential issue when I took delivery. Hard to notice in the restricted space when I reviewed the car, it was parked between two other cars. Noticed it the next day walking up to car while parked in the driveway.

Here's a good example of a new MY with the paint issue .... watched it be delivered to the dealer off a car carrier as I sat charging my car.
This makes me so worried. I’m coming from a white BMW, and I can’t tell any difference in the color across various parts. This would trigger my OCD big time. good luck with your car, hope they match it perfectly.

What was your VIN range? I guess it doesn’t matter much since even the new one you saw had this obvious defect.

Any pointers as to what to do at the delivery center to be able to pick up on the differences?

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
This makes me so worried. I’m coming from a white BMW, and I can’t tell any difference in the color across various parts. This would trigger my OCD big time. good luck with your car, hope they match it perfectly.

What was your VIN range? I guess it doesn’t matter much since even the new one you saw had this obvious defect.

Any pointers as to what to do at the delivery center to be able to pick up on the differences?
Is it too late for you to change your color choice? I was set on white... but eventually changed it due to all the issues we are still seeing with white.

Have two German cars, both white, and the bumpers are a very slight different shade vs the metal panels.

MY was manufacturered in July.

It is easy to pick up the difference as long as you have decent sunlight and can stand at least 10' back from each side with straight line of vision of the two doors. Also noticed that the paint in the problem area had a gritty feel to it, I could actually hear a difference wiping the clean car with a microfiber cloth.

We wanted white and noticed it the next day. Sent the SC pictures and told them unless they agree to repaint, in writing, I was returning the car. SC agreed it was an issue.

Last edited:
Mine's slightly mismatched (VIN 32xxx), but not enough to bother me. You can only really see it in some lighting conditions. I got the car covered in PPF and the guy that did the install said my car wasn't nearly as bad as the ones he's seen in the past.

Mine's slightly mismatched (VIN 32xxx), but not enough to bother me. You can only really see it in some lighting conditions. I got the car covered in PPF and the guy that did the install said my car wasn't nearly as bad as the ones he's seen in the past.
Where was the mismatch? Mine is 33xxx so built just around same time probably...

I think I can live with “only see it in some lighting conditions”. Most of the ones I saw were very obvious, with the bumper having more “warm white” hue compared to the rest of the body with “cool white” hue.

Where was the mismatch? Mine is 33xxx so built just around same time probably...

The rear bumper compared to the adjacent panels. The same with the front bumper.

I would not use the VIN as a comparison or some sort of indication. I walked through the dealer's lot the day after I took delivery and there were some white MYs that were fine.

I wouldn't either, but just wanted to put it out there since nobody has seen or at least shown a MY without mismatched panels. When I took delivery of my car I could've sworn it was flawless when expecting it on the lot as well. Then I saw the slight color difference in the garage when the pff was getting installed.

Reactions: Mooroo
The rear bumper compared to the adjacent panels. The same with the front bumper.

I wouldn't either, but just wanted to put it out there since nobody has seen or at least shown a MY without mismatched panels. When I took delivery of my car I could've sworn it was flawless when expecting it on the lot as well. Then I saw the slight color difference in the garage when the pff was getting installed.
Agreed. Even on YouTube Or Twitter I see people with glowing reviews and photos of their white cars without a mention of paint problems and I can see splotchy doors or mismatched rear bumpers. Not sure if photos/videos make it look worse than it is IRL.

Had an authorized Tesla collision repair facility paint the rear bumper due to pre-delivery damage and it looked exactly like it did before the repair, Mis-matched!. Maybe bc the difference in substate of the bumper vs. the fenders. Just a guess.

Mine has a mismatched drivers side door, did not notice initially in the same way you stated. Still waiting to hear back from Tesla for a potential fix. Curious to see before and after photos once the body shop has completed the repaint on your door.

All this talk about the issue with the white, I've never stared at my car so much. The bumper is mismatched, but I don't notice it unless I stare at it.
I have a White 2005 VW Golf, now I noticed the bumper is slighted mismatched too. I've had this car for over 15 years and never noticed until I started reading about the Tesla paint issue. Ignorance is sometimes bliss! ;)

All this talk about the issue with the white, I've never stared at my car so much. The bumper is mismatched, but I don't notice it unless I stare at it.
I have a White 2005 VW Golf, now I noticed the bumper is slighted mismatched too. I've had this car for over 15 years and never noticed until I started reading about the Tesla paint issue. Ignorance is sometimes bliss! ;)
I hear ya! Unfortunately, I’m a bit on the OCD side so if I even know that there is a mismatch it would ruin it for me every time I look at my car. Pearl white actually is a beautiful color when done right. It’s the best color in BMW (mineral white) for example, IMO. I love the way it shines in the sun or under street lights at night... too bad Tesla is having such hard time with it. Probably They will fix this as they complete their new paint shop dedicated only to 3 and Y, which is supposed to come online very soon.