Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ANY white without a mismatched rear bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife's Y has a mismatched bumper much like my 3 did (3 was repainted to match). Brought it in to service and they agreed it did not match and have replaced it with a another bumper prepainted from the factory. Matches perfect now. Don't settle if you see it not matching. The Plastic/Metal, while true, is not an excuse. They can and should match.

Reactions: Mooroo and raggedy
My bumpers are slightly more yellow but not noticeable by anyone else but me. My partners new white RAM truck is the same. His metal gas flap is even a slightly different shade of white oddly enough so it isn't even isolated to just plastic vs metal. I can live with it on both cars.

Reactions: Mooroo
From what I understand, the bumper covers are painted off site at the supplier's facility. Paint with flakes are a hit or miss according to a good friend of mine who owns a bodyshop. So many things are in play when it gets painted, i.e. air pressure of the gun (this apparently determines the way flakes lay down on surface), the temperature/humidity of the paint booth, and the thickness of the clear coat which will refract light differently depending on depth. It's not an exact science but experienced painters can definitely match paint on multiple type of surfaces.

• Informative
Reactions: NY_Rob
From what I understand, the bumper covers are painted off site at the supplier's facility. Paint with flakes are a hit or miss according to a good friend of mine who owns a bodyshop. So many things are in play when it gets painted, i.e. air pressure of the gun (this apparently determines the way flakes lay down on surface), the temperature/humidity of the paint booth, and the thickness of the clear coat which will refract light differently depending on depth. It's not an exact science but experienced painters can definitely match paint on multiple type of surfaces.
Just went to the delivery center and walked the lot, saw 8 whites. 2 of them were above 30xxx VIN. I was not happy with any one of them. The splotchy paint on the doors, some with doors mismatched, as well as creamy hue of the rear bumper are just dealbreakers for me. On the other hand, I can totally see how some would not be phased by this, and likely not even notice it. I would, however, and it would take the fun out of it for me. So I’ve decided to change my order, even though I still like white as the best color on the Y...

Reactions: NY_Rob and raggedy
Too bad you feel you need to change your order but makes sense. Did all have bumper differences? If so I would not change my order over that.

How many had mismatched doors?

If you were not considering the white interior I would recommend it is beautiful and everyone that sees it loves it.

Too bad you feel you need to change your order but makes sense. Did all have bumper differences? If so I would not change my order over that.

How many had mismatched doors?

If you were not considering the white interior I would recommend it is beautiful and everyone that sees it loves it.
Only the low VINs had mismatched doors. Likely returns TBH. The newer ones were close to being great.

interesting note about white interior! I had not ordered it originally but I absolutely loved it when I saw it first time today and added it to the order!

Reactions: NY_Rob and MYMY
All this talk about the issue with the white, I've never stared at my car so much. The bumper is mismatched, but I don't notice it unless I stare at it.
I have a White 2005 VW Golf, now I noticed the bumper is slighted mismatched too. I've had this car for over 15 years and never noticed until I started reading about the Tesla paint issue. Ignorance is sometimes bliss! ;)

Oh I feel you, I did not notice it till some of these threads popped up. Bumpers are not that big of a deal to me, the door though...

I have a blue model 3 and my bumper doesn't match. I brought it in and they refused to fix it. Told me to contact my sales adviser because I accepted it like that. I spoke to a sales person 1 time. I have no idea who the sales advisor is.

IMG_20200726_182352.jpg
that's my model 3. We should make this a photo thread

I think ive resigned to the fact that Tesla is a hot mess - I have the white - I have the mismatched stuff -- silly service center says its the geometry of the doors.. BS -- I firmly believe that its a paint thickness issue which creates BOTH the splotchiness AND the blue/darker hue of the driver door as the primer isn't fully covered. I believe there is another thread on the forum where a member used a paint measuring tool between MY and M3 and the MY has significantly less paint. when it bothers me enough - and yes my OCD kicks in at times and I start analyzing other white vehicle son the road - tae pics of them - look at the web at MY whites and determined that most whites have issues - however the Tesla whites are the sloppiest. I love the Y - next year - I may trade in the kaleidoscope of whiteness I have for - hopefully - I properly painted vehicle. Yes I shouldn't settle - I get it. I donate ant to repaint a new car either....

• Helpful
Reactions: raggedy