Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any "wiggle room" with CPO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a text-only medium, there can be no "tone" - easily the biggest flaw in online communications. Any tone you read, is you reading it. Try to read it again picturing me with a big smile on my face and handing you an ice cream :)

You're not talking to some kid here. We all know how you wanted to convey yourself. Your first sentence was YELLING your point. That sets the tone right then and there.

We have no argument. Tesla is firm on their point. They are trying to be different, and I applaud them for that. I absolutely love that we all pay the same price.

In any case, i'm sure you will enjoy your car!

You're seriously arguing with me about arguing?

1995 netiquette stating ALL CAPS IS YELLING. Got it.

Tesla is hardly "firm" on anything. As they've grown and matured, they've gone back and forth on a lot of things. They'll do so on this too. Contract law will step in if they don't see the light for themselves.

They aren't even firm on it anyway. When I spoke with a rep a few hours ago, she said I "might" be able to take the car to my local Tesla shop for an inspection and then I "might" be able to buy the extended warranty.

Oh, and we don't all pay the same price. I just paid a lot less for mine :)

Reactions: tmadvegas
Yep....."don't know the cars history" is the frequent reason. But my Tesla was bought from an independent dealer and myTesla app invites me to purchase the warranty. I've heard some have bought the warranty under these conditions and Tesla has honored it.

My car goes out of 4-50 warranty in a few months and I've thought about the potential for heavy repair expenses. But the Tesla warranty just seems too expensive for the coverage given. By the time you've paid for the warranty, required annual services, and the per visit deductible your out almost $7,000. And the pro rated refund, should you decide to sell, isn't like other plans and can easily result in no refund whatsoever. Look up David Nolans article on GCR for details.

I'm probably going to just roll the dice and take my chances without coverage from December on.

I agree it doesn't seem to represent good value.

Hey, about that "required annual services"... did they change that (like they change everything lol)?

In 2015 when I was looking at the S new, I recall very clearly that they guy said there was a $500/yr service agreement and when I grilled him on if that was required for warranty, he said quite clearly "no". Nor should it be. The common view of car warranties is often not in line with reality. People THINK (hey Stan, that's emphasis, not yelling) that they have to take the car to the dealer for service or their warranty is void. This is not the case. The car has to be properly serviced or that specific serviceable item may not be covered if (and only if) the manufacturer (via the dealer, usually) can PROVE that the defect was caused by lack of service as opposed to workmanship and materials. In some cases, its pretty clear. For example if you drive your car without oil and never have it checked and the engine explodes... it is easy to prove that the lack of care resulted in the problem, as opposed to defect. But in an electric car with few serviceable parts? Its hard to imagine a case where not getting it "serviced" would coincide with a warranty item being denied. If it has since become "required", I'd find that interesting.

Speaking of wording, here's their official wording on who can buy an extended warranty:

Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?
Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and vehicles purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or X vehicles subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.

Note the glaring hole in their logic that proves this has nothing to do with history, etc and everything to do with punishing a customer for making the decision to buy from a 3rd party dealer. Ehem... follow along... I buy from Joe's car lot. I'm a bad boy and not allowed to buy the extended warranty. I sell the car privately to Sally. Sally's a good girl. Nobody's going to stand for a corporation - even one as heroic as Tesla - telling Good Ol Americans that they can't buy/sell amongst themselves! I should have known better, but Sally? She's an innocent here, so she can buy the extended warranty. So much for "reasons" such as whether or not the car was "reconditioned" properly.

To enforce, they would have to state that private sales don't qualify. That would cause rage. If I really wanted the warranty, and they really want to tell me I can't because of where I bought it, all I'd have to do is "sell" it to my wife and buy the warranty.