Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any word on coilovers for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Redwood Motorsports has Öhlins DFV for the Model Y, in three varieties for whether you want to focus more on handling or ride comfort. They are adjustable but it's just one adjuster (compression and rebound together I believe). You could dial them in once and then leave the adjustment alone. If you don't want to dial them in at all I bet Redwood could recommended settings for you.

For what it's worth I'm planning to do exactly that with Redwood Öhlins on my Model 3 - dial them initially to my liking and then probably not touch the adjusters again for a long time.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
@Burdios You mean the MPP Model Y "Comfort" coilovers right?

@kpinthebay Even though you don't feel any need for adjustable damping, I wouldn't write off 1 way adjustable ones like the MPP and Redwoods. I think with compression and rebound adjusted together, it shouldn't take much work / adjustment to get them dialed in to your liking. Then just leave them alone. Once they're set how you like there should be no need to adjust them again. :)

Reactions: tangible1
Expensive car == expensive aftermarket, in my experience. Quality dampers like KW v3 (MPP) or Öhlins DFV (Redwood) are probably never dirt cheap, but there does seem to be a price premium for Tesla mods over similar/equivalent ones for cheaper cars I've owned. Nothing really surprising or unexpected there though...plus there's been enough inflation that my mental pricing for those old cars is probably out of date anyways.

Personally I'd be happy without height adjustment if it saved me money. I don't want to go lower at all, I just want better damping (with appropriately matched springs of course). But that option doesn't exist on the market either that I've seen, all the damper upgrades for the 3 and Y are height-adjustable coilovers.

No damping adjustment would be fine for me too if it's good out of the box, but I'm okay with 1 way adjustment because that should be fast and easy to dial in for my street use. Anything more than that would be an unnecessary amount of flexibility for me, I don't want multiple dimensions of settings to test, I'd rather the dampers come with a good balance between compression and rebound damping.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Expensive car == expensive aftermarket, in my experience. Quality dampers like KW v3 (MPP) or Öhlins DFV (Redwood) are probably never dirt cheap, but there does seem to be a price premium for Tesla mods over similar/equivalent ones for cheaper cars I've owned. Nothing really surprising or unexpected there though...plus there's been enough inflation that my mental pricing for those old cars is probably out of date anyways.

Personally I'd be happy without height adjustment if it saved me money. I don't want to go lower at all, I just want better damping (with appropriately matched springs of course). But that option doesn't exist on the market either that I've seen, all the damper upgrades for the 3 and Y are height-adjustable coilovers.

No damping adjustment would be fine for me too if it's good out of the box, but I'm okay with 1 way adjustment because that should be fast and easy to dial in for my street use. Anything more than that would be an unnecessary amount of flexibility for me, I don't want multiple dimensions of settings to test, I'd rather the dampers come with a good balance between compression and rebound damping.
Exactly.
I don't want to drop either. Went with MPP since the installation is so expensive and my rebate is set aside to pay for coilover and install.

Reactions: tm1v2
BC Racing makes a set of coilovers. You'll hear opinions about cheaper coilovers from people who have never used them. You'll also hear that this an expensive car and why would you put cheaper parts on it. It's an expensive car because of demand and a the EV premium but that's where it ends. It can't compete in terms of quality with any ICE vehicle in the same price range. The Model Y is an Acura RDX at best and even that car is built much better.

I personally have installed and used Bilstein, KW's, BC Racing, Ksport and Airlift. They all have their pros & cons but nothing has effected ride quality more than tire profile in my experience.
If you plan on tracking your car then UP or MPP are the obvious choices because of how tried and tested they are.
If you want a more comfortable ride get smaller wheels and larger profile tires.
If you want to get lower without breaking the bank go BC.
If you want to sit on the ground while parked go Airlift.

BC Racing makes a set of coilovers. You'll hear opinions about cheaper coilovers from people who have never used them. You'll also hear that this an expensive car and why would you put cheaper parts on it. It's an expensive car because of demand and a the EV premium but that's where it ends. It can't compete in terms of quality with any ICE vehicle in the same price range. The Model Y is an Acura RDX at best and even that car is built much better.

I personally have installed and used Bilstein, KW's, BC Racing, Ksport and Airlift. They all have their pros & cons but nothing has effected ride quality more than tire profile in my experience.
If you plan on tracking your car then UP or MPP are the obvious choices because of how tried and tested they are.
If you want a more comfortable ride get smaller wheels and larger profile tires.
If you want to get lower without breaking the bank go BC.
If you want to sit on the ground while parked go Airlift.
BC Racing doesn't seem to have the Model Y as a car you can select on their website. Can you post a link to the parts that work on the Y?

While BC makes great wheels, their coilovers leave a lot to be desired, especially what we have seen on the BMW side.

Stick with proven brands like MPP, Ohlins and KW. Other suspension manufacturers are entering the market soon, like Tein, Moton/AST and MCS, so we'll have tons of options down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: bpon89
BC Racing doesn't seem to have the Model Y as a car you can select on their website. Can you post a link to the parts that work on the Y?

That was what made me call BC to confirm. The suspension is the exact same between the 3 and the Y. The only things that needs to be changed are the spring rates.

Reactions: rusmo