Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any word on the 3's Extended Service Agreement (ESA)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe that was from the ESA for the Model S and X. Take a look at the link from the OP. Hopefully the ESA for the M3 will be a little more reasonably priced.

I am the OP, lol. The battery and DU will not be in the ESA for the S or X because they are covered for eight years unlimited mileage and not four years, like for the majority of the vehicle.

For the 3, I'm sure many are getting anxious as to what the details are going to be with the 8-year 100k limited warranty on the battery and likely the four year warranty on the DU.

If the ESA is cheaper, hopefully the AWD option will be too. :)

Reactions: C141medic
I am the OP, lol. The battery and DU will not be in the ESA for the S or X because they are covered for eight years unlimited mileage and not four years, like for the majority of the vehicle.

For the 3, I'm sure many are getting anxious as to what the details are going to be with the 8-year 100k limited warranty on the battery and likely the four year warranty on the DU.

If the ESA is cheaper, hopefully the AWD option will be too. :)

Oopso_O. It will definitely be interesting. I'm more concerned about the initial warranty for the DU since it's only 4 years. Hopefully the M3 ESA will have more "robust" coverage options to include AWD/DU. I mean, besides the battery isn't that one of the other major components of the vehicle?

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
I'm not an engineer or car EV enthusiast but I think the DU and battery are the major ones but electronics (especially all that information that goes into the single display and error codes thrown out) could count too since I doubt it can be repaired by anyone besides the authorized repair centers or Tesla itself.

Hopefully they really built the 3 to be more reliable since there's less fluff and it would cost Tesla a pretty penny to cover 500k cars if they are quite unreliable.

Reactions: C141medic
If history is any guide, it might be a while AFTER 3's are on the road in regular folks' hands (not employees) before we see pricing on the ESA and maintenance plans. I know it took almost a year for them to release the option(s) and pricing on the X.

Once they do, though, everyone who already has a car will be able to retroactively buy them even if they technically are outside the windows.

• Informative
I have the ESA (and bought it right when it came available in 2013!) for our 2013 Model S. We've had to use it once now, they replaced the center screen and the MPU at about 56K miles. Tesla has some leeway on costs of things, they did not even charge us the deductible. We are now money ahead on the ESA, which we purchased for $2500 back in the day. At the now $4000 and with a later model car, I might think about not getting it. But with Model 3 in the first year, oh yeah, I plan to get it again. :)

• Informative
So M3's are being delivered to non-employees but the ESA isn't available yet? I guess I'll just have to wait half a year more to find out, at the latest since the ESA is cheaper if Purchased within 180 Days.

If it's any significant fraction of the reservation numbers, the ESA may bring a billion or two into Tesla's coffers. :)