Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any word on the location of the Semi and Model Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fremont has a capacity of around half a million vehicles a year. Tesla is nowhere near that and won't be got some time.
What they have said is that they will get there with full production of Model S+3+X.

They are planing to expand the Fremont factory, so I expect the model Y to be produced in that expansion. But that still begs the question about where they will produce the Semi and the Pickup.

Also is there any intention of using the Gigafactory for vehicle production or is this just a battery factory.
It was planed as an battery only factory, but they do by now produce motors and inverters there in addition. But I will not expect them to produce any full vehicle there, but they do have some land around that factory so they may be building a new factory next to the GF-I. But I do not think that would be a full vehicle factory.

Reactions: Brando
Model Y volume production will be fully dependent on getting another factory up and running somewhere in the world. The first move will likely be getting a factory in China that can produce Model 3 and Model Y for global markets. Fremont will then continue to produce Model S and X for all markets as well as Model 3 and Model Y for North America and possibly Europe. Ultimately they do need a second vehicle production facility in the U.S., and that could handle the pickup and future models or relief for Fremont.

Since the Fremont factory is out of room & completely occupied with the Model 3, my best bet would be their European factory. Believe me, I heard about it only recently, but Tesla appears to have a re-assembly plant in Netherlands capable of 450 cars a week. It's a way to evade European import tax. It's only 11 acres, or about 0.47 million square ft., which is a tenth of the Fremont location. Not to mention, the Semi will be rather well-received in Europe, much like EVs.

Tesla did apply for an expansion permit which has been now granted by the Fremont City Council, effectively doubling the available area, adding 4.6 million sq. feet.

They've already announced plans for China & Europe gigafactory, but best believe they're now postponed along with everything else as Tesla favours all attention towards negating Model 3 delays.

I don't think the Nevada Gigafactory would be viable location for vehicle manufacturing, and it Tesla does decide to manufacture there, it'd be rather short-lived & temporary likely due to not having any other alternatives. They're already having trouble finding suitable employees skilled at manufacturing batteries let alone manufacturing cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
From what I understand Freemont is at max capacity. Also is there any intention of using the Gigafactory for vehicle production or is this just a battery factory.

Gracias de antemano.

John

Fremont is in the middle of a major expansion that will about double it’s area from 5 million to 10 million sq.ft. Tesla has also been adding large facilities in the area around the plant.

The GF in Nevada will also produce battery packs, motors and whole drivetrains as well as batteries and isn’t even half complete.

It’s not clear what the production capacity of these two huge complexes is. Tesla’s are also simpler and more modular than ICE vehicles. While the NUMI plant that Tesla took over in Fremont built a max of about 500k that was a much smaller plant building a different sort of vehicle.

The two plant complexes might be able to build a couple million vehicles per year. 2018 Tesla wants to hit an annual rate of 250k M3 and 100k S/X by June so maybe 300k for the year. That’s 200% yoy. 2019 100% to 600k. 2020 100% to 1.2M, 2021 100% to 2.4M might max out the potential of the two sites. That would include S, X, 3, Y, Semi and Roadster 2.