Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any X-Sig reservation holders who don't want Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got a call back this evening and was told if you defer you'll be in line where you would have been had you not upgraded. I think my original P number was like 12, so whatever.

Interesting because that's completely opposite of what I was told.

I was told what AnOutsider was told: You drop to the level you would have been at when you confirmed your Sig.

I was told what AnOutsider was told: You drop to the level you would have been at when you confirmed your Sig.

FWIW, I went from production Model S to Sig then back to Production. When I made my final switch they tried to get me as close to my original production reservation as possible. I was within a couple hundred.

I would expect they'll follow the same procedure with Model X but I would get it in writing through email if you're interested.

If I were you, I would send an e-mail to Jerome or/and Elon himself explaining the situation. After putting a 40.000$ deposit and waiting 2 more years than originally scheduled, I don't see why they can't put you at the front of the non-sig reservation holders. Maybe they don't want the X-sig queue to shrink 'cause they have no time to find another buyer to take that spot but at least they should give it a try, something like enable the upgrade button for the non-sig and if someone upgrades before it is your time to configure, you get to be at the front of the queue of non-sig reservation holders. Or, in case they don't want to disturb the (force of the:biggrin:) queue, just switch spots. If not, then I think it's fair to make you decide between X-sig or end of the line.

If you were not an original X-sig and just upgraded, it's more difficult. I'd lean towards this system: same as before, wait for a non-sig to take your spot. If there's a buyer before having to configure, there are two options. That non-sig has a reservation number lower than your original, then you recover your original spot in the queue. Option two, it is higher, then switch spots. No one interested before configuring, signature model or end of the line.

Is there any loophole I'm missing?? I think it would be the fairest system but criticism is well received. I think the key here is that they want the signature reservation holders to be the most convinced ones so the penalty for stepping back is that high.

The reasons you posted (enough performance of the 90D, better range,...) are sensible and have a point. It's an amazing car, I trust Elon on the unseen features but you should be comfortable on purchasing such an expensive item. The last thing you want for your company is having your most faithful buyers annoyed. I love Tesla but sometimes I don't get this stiffness on the customer service side.

This is why the secrecy...

Have a call into the config team for the X. I'd like to know the following before finalizing:
* GVWR
* Production version costs and specs
* Range gain on non-P vs. P
* Range gain/loss on 22" vs. 20" tires
* What the front looks like

I'm really at a loss for why Tesla has to keep this secret. If they invite someone to configure, they should have shown the car and all specs already. What's the harm in a buyer knowing EXACTLY what they are getting for $132,000.00 dollars!?!? Some people care about exactly what they're buying for that kind of money. I see no downside to waiting until the full details are released.

For me it is clear what Tesla is going to great length to postpone reveal for as long as they can.
There are some systems in the Model X that will make the current Model S look old. So if they revealed Model X fully now nobody would buy the current version Model S. They want to avoid that at all cost.

Once the Model X is out, Tesla will need to quickly update the Model S or else they will not sell many of those and Model X ramp up is slow, so they wood not make 2015 production forecast.

Its a tricky situation, and Tesla as a small company is handling it as well as they can....

yup, can do without performance. It will be a family car.
Have a SIG reservation and a regular one. They will either move my SIG back to the position I would have had without the SIG (about #7000 or so) or....
Just in case I also put down $5000 a little later and have a reservation around #8500

I would like to have fold flat 2nd row to sleep in the car, don't care for the performance, will wait for Roadster 2.0 for that or keep the MS.

yup, can do without performance. It will be a family car.
Have a SIG reservation and a regular one. They will either move my SIG back to the position I would have had without the SIG (about #7000 or so) or....
Just in case I also put down $5000 a little later and have a reservation around #8500

I would like to have fold flat 2nd row to sleep in the car, don't care for the performance, will wait for Roadster 2.0 for that or keep the MS.

Apparently fold flat 2nd row is not an option in either version. I am with everyone else in that I have no need for the Performance and would prefer the little extra range. And it was tough enough to convince my wife that it is sane to pay $110k for a car, adding $20k for something I don't even want is pushing it. But I like the ultra white interior and the sig red, neither of which will be available on the production orders. But then who knows since everyone seems to hear different stories when they ask.

When I called Tesla over a week ago and asked I was told to sit tight and not cancel my Signature reservation. They said maybe something could be worked out or maybe I could get a production version order ahead of the regular. Apparently since then so many people have called about this that they have changed the story to take it or leave it or maybe you can get into the production queue somewhere else. Or maybe I spoke with someone who didn't know the pla at the time I called. All this and they won't answer basic questions like what will be the maximum cargo space with the 2nd row forward. Hopefully I have some information by the time I have to decide.

Mark
MX Sig1096

I was also told this - added to the production list at the location I would have been in at the time of my Sig reservation. (I made a de novo Sig reservation, not an upgrade from the standard list.)

And I was told no time limit to complete your order once you get the email, so you can wait until the reveal/Bonnie's delivery/availability of the list of options to place your order. Others who finalize their orders will pass you in the queue if you wait, of course.

I was also told this - added to the production list at the location I would have been in at the time of my Sig reservation. (I made a de novo Sig reservation, not an upgrade from the standard list.)

And I was told no time limit to complete your order once you get the email, so you can wait until the reveal/Bonnie's delivery/availability of the list of options to place your order. Others who finalize their orders will pass you in the queue if you wait, of course.
Welcome to the forums! That's a very reasonable response and seems to make sense and be fair to the Sig reservation holder.
My only question is the "no time limit". That's news - and would theoretically allow people to get "Signature" cars long after production cars started shipping. But then that's what happens to Sigs in Europe and Canada (sorry, Paul).

Welcome to the forums! That's a very reasonable response and seems to make sense and be fair to the Sig reservation holder.
My only question is the "no time limit". That's news - and would theoretically allow people to get "Signature" cars long after production cars started shipping. But then that's what happens to Sigs in Europe and Canada (sorry, Paul).
I wonder what the time limit is. RE: I asked if I thought there might be another seat option for Non NA Sigs if I could wait 3-6 months and get Sig Red/White seat combo IF available in any new seat option....This question checked with NASales supervisor: answer NO. I did not think TM would delay/defer a Sig that long but had to ask.

Edit: It is good that you do not have to configure/confirm before the reveal...only fair IMO

I remember some of the same things and arguments about Model S Sig an Prod.
I have early EU numbers one Sig and one Prod, can choose when the configuration arrives.

I would like to get a Model X 90(D) (none P or L) the reason:
- 2 x 2.generation engines - I do not like the design on 1. Generation (I think the DU problems is not gone)
- Lower weight (engine in the back is lighter)
- Range - every mile I can get.
- Fast enough - I do not need to kick start on green lights.
- Better cooling on 2.gen engines, when pulling trailer I am afraid the 1.Gen get hot.
- Did I say range at -20C and when the car is 8-10 years old.
(I keep my cars until they die a natural death because old age). ;-)

Another Sig holder here who doesn't want Performance. This will be a family hauler, so the extra performance isn't needed, but an extra 15 miles is. Performance was one of the few options on the Sig S, so I had expected it to be on the X as well.

If indeed you must take Performance with the Sig, then we will be dropping our Sig reservation and falling back to our original X reservation that we kept.

If enough people complain and drop en masse over this, there's a chance Tesla could change their mind. However, that would only happen if they couldn't find enough regular X reservation holders willing to trade up to all of the dropped Sig slots. Probably pretty unlikely.

If you're a regular X reservation holder and want Performance, get ready for some Sig upgrade requests from Tesla...

Another Sig holder here who doesn't want Performance. This will be a family hauler, so the extra performance isn't needed, but an extra 15 miles is. Performance was one of the few options on the Sig S, so I had expected it to be on the X as well.

If indeed you must take Performance with the Sig, then we will be dropping our Sig reservation and falling back to our original X reservation that we kept.

If enough people complain and drop en masse over this, there's a chance Tesla could change their mind. However, that would only happen if they couldn't find enough regular X reservation holders willing to trade up to all of the dropped Sig slots. Probably pretty unlikely.

If you're a regular X reservation holder and want Performance, get ready for some Sig upgrade requests from Tesla...

I've had it confirmed from at least 4 people inside Tesla that it's not an option. You go sig, you get Performance. It was basically the last thing holding me atop the fence (and still kind of is since I can cancel up until Friday)

I hope the people canceling their Sig reservations enter this into the Model X tracker. This will be very interesting to watch.

Agreed. I think Tesla originally made a business decision to build all Performance Signature series because the insane +$20K and ludicrous +$30K option premiums have a very large profit margin for TSLA. This will help Q4 results and cash flow, since total units sold of S&X are now supposed to come in below original guidance. 700 sigs * $20K + 300 sigs * $30K (WAG) = an extra $23M in gross sales assuming all sigs are delivered by year end.

I hope enough people complain to compel Tesla to reverse course and offer a 90D Signature non-performance option. What they are doing is totally unfair to loyal customers that have given them an interest-free, unsecured $40K loan for 3.5 years in many cases. After all, Model X will probably be mostly a family vehicle since it has 7 seats.

I don't need the extra acceleration, and wish there wasn't a range hit, but I'm feeling okay about getting the performance. There's an unconfirmed rumor that the P will have the new contactor fuse (for ludicrous upgrade), and if you look at the P motors in a Tesla store, they are MUCH heavier duty appearing than the standard motors. In my book that means more power if I occasionally need it AND a setup that is much more robust and long lasting. (I can't prove it, but it makes sense to me intuitively.) I'd be interested in an S thread that compares warranty motor replacements: how many Ps vs non Ps.

Well....I have res#6894 and would love to trade that for a Signature res. My wife absolutely loves the Sig Red. Don't really need the performance but would still enjoy it. And, it's always good to keep my bride happy. Cash is ready to go...

P85, 85, P85D have the same 1.Gen rear DU.
Quite some norwegian 85 and P85 owners have changed 2-3 times even after flight shipping of New better DU's.
It is different symtoms and sounds, when it goes bad.

Have not seen any 2.Gen (smal DU) with other than electrical errors. (Broken wites...)
As a Engineer working on AC pumps of different sizes I belive the size, weight, design and material use in gearbox hausing is the main problem with the 1.Generation DU.
The heavy Engine is attached on the side of the gearbox housing (aluminium) and if it is not 100% alligned and/or is able to move in any direction it will be posibility for fretting (spline) or bearing stress.
2.Gen have engine alligned inside gearbox and this problem should be none exsisting.

Hi. This is my first post - I've read the forums for a while, especially as we are getting closer to the X reveal and delivery... My husband is on here somewhere (not sure of his username)...

We current have an S85. We have SigX reservation #818. We live in WA state, and we put down the $$ for the SigX reservation in hopes of getting it before they stopped the no sales tax on the EVs... We had figured that if we could beat that date, the price difference would have been negligible between the Prod & Sig with no sales tax... However, that date has passed and the law changed so that only less expensive EVs qualify for no sales tax...

However, we would rather drop the P part also... We also are thinking of not getting leather (dogs and kids, and my husband's work badge, scratch that up pretty good) - there is an option for that with SigX if you call and ask... We want the 90D and towing... Would love the Sig red color, but we don't need the P part for that extra ~$20k... We won't get the L option either... The X will be owned for long term, so we aren't concerned with the resale value (if any) of the Sig.

So we are in the same boat of what to do... We haven't been invited to configure yet. We are hoping more information will be available soon. We won't give up our SigX reservation yet. We want to have all info available first. So even if it opens up for us, we won't configure it until we have all information available. And if we can't drop the P, we might drop to Production version instead.

Maybe if half of the SigX reservation holders don't want the P option they could possibly give that as an "option to remove"?

there is an option for that with SigX if you call and ask

Is that the ultra white not-quite-leather, the vegan option or just straight cloth seats?

Maybe if half of the SigX reservation holders don't want the P option they could possibly give that as an "option to remove"?

If they offered that, I could see them not offering a credit or refund of the difference (like the wheels and such).

HELLO?? Did all ya'll not realize that a Signature reservation was a maxed out car when you plunked down $40,000? I'm getting sick to my stomach listening to the whining about "I don't want a P, waaaaaah, mommy!" It was pretty clear to me that would happen so I went the regular res route (in the 180's, thank you). You get bragging rights as the first owners of a brand new trend setting car and you can get it in Signature Red. You made an emotional reservation and you have had TOO much time to think about it. There you go. Others thought this, I said it. I actually feel sorry for the Tesla sales professionals having to answer your calls so call Tesla, apologize and switch to a regular res. Microphone Drop. Boom.