Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody bought Tesla shares in Australia recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased some Tesla shares late last year. My financial adviser gave me some help to set it up but it would be easy to do it yourself.

I use CommSec and this is what I received from my adviser initially "An alternative [to Macquarie which is more expensive] is Commsec's International Trading Account. This account allows you to control the trade and price. You can also hold funds in a US dollar nominated account for an indefinite period. The brokerage is $30 (for a $10,000 trade) and there is $25 pa year fee only for inactive accounts (ie where you don't trade over a calendar year). They also charge $1.80 for posted trading confirmations and statements."

Just contact CommSec International on [email protected] or 1300 361 170 and they'll get you going.

Relatively high TSLA volatility has presented good opportunities over the past year with lows around $140 & highs around $270. Seems that with more positive news about meeting or exceeding production capacity targets, as well as overall share market levels; TSLA volatility & therefore high potential short-term trading gains are receding. So depending if you’re confident in the new US administration’s economic strategies, it could be time to take long term positions. Or wait for the bubble to deflate.

I think most, if not all major banks have foreign market equity platforms, CommSec being the largest. It’s essential to establish a $US account at whichever bank or broker you deal with so that proceeds do not have to be continually converted back & forth between USD & AUD, avoiding high conversion costs.

I use ANZ's share system. Was simple to setup with my normal bank account and out of the box could buy on lots of foreign exchanges including nasdaq. I bought 8 shares (they're pricy) as a test and was super simply. The shares were $214 andnthen over the next couple of weeks went like a rocket up to $244 and are still going. I'm going to buy a big chunk soon as I expect them to get a bump whennthe next Model 3 reveal happens (end March) and then another jump up when the solar roof tiles are available and powerwall 2's start shipping (Mid year).

Rather than buying Tesla shares, we are buying into the raw product that they require, mainly lithium. Australia has an abundance of lithium and in only a few weeks shares are performing remarkably well. Lithium Australia (LIT) is a good start. There's a number of companies, many are penny stock.

Rather than buying Tesla shares, we are buying into the raw product that they require, mainly lithium. Australia has an abundance of lithium and in only a few weeks shares are performing remarkably well. Lithium Australia (LIT) is a good start. There's a number of companies, many are penny stock.
Most mining operations give you very little exposure to lithium mining, and as you said, it is in abundance.

Most mining operations give you very little exposure to lithium mining, and as you said, it is in abundance.
The attraction to LIT is the patented extraction process that they have, which cuts the fuel intensive and therefore expensive heating requirement from their process. It's about 50% cheaper to use their process, meaning that they can either make more profit (also licensing to others) or extract from lower grades of ore.