Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody bought the BMW M5 donut spare tire ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am concerned to go on long trips without a spare. Especially since nobody has the 21' tires in stock, so one really can get stuck for days on a trip !

I was reading the post which gets on/off topic ( The Tire Rack is proud to be a part of teslamotorsclub.com ! - Page 10) where a suggestion was made that the BMWX5 spare fits. But I can't see anybody posting who really bought it. I found the following link BMW X5 X6 E70 / F15 Spare Tire Kit : Bimmerzone.com . Is that the part ? Anybody tried it ?

Would that tire fit in the frunk ?

The wheel will fit, no questions there. However, the tire from the X5 will be too tall and cause all kinds of problems especially if it's on the rear axle. As for the tire fitting in the frunk, just take one of your 21" wheels and see if it fits. There's only a few mm difference between the 21s and 19s.

Make sure you get the wheel AND tire specified in that thread. I didn't do all that research for nothing ;)

There is also an 18" steel wheel from the X5 that will bolt up (at least in the front--I haven't tried the rear yet).

For an 18" wheel, the correct tire is 155 80 18. Those are somewhat hard to find new, but you can find them used. They
were used on the Ford Escape Hybrid as spares.

Bimmerzone sells a kit for the F25 X3 that has an 18" wheel and a 145 80 18 tire. That's roughly 2 percent smaller than the stock Tesla wheel/tire combo. Will that cause trouble with the ABS, stability control and regen? Hard to say. It might.

More info here:

Compact Space Saver Tire/Wheel Solution