Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody care to estimate cost to replace battery out of warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be 8 years in Dec 24 with about 205,000. My MS 85
So why are you putting this in a Model 3 battery thread. The battery types between the S/X versus the 3/Y are vastly different, and there are a ton of battery threads in the Model S section where this would be relevant. Maybe find an appropriate one and ask mods to move it there?

would only charge 1 mile per 15mins at a super charger.
You didn't mention what the state of charge was, but that should only be that slow when it is almost full, like 99.5%, which I am guessing it probably wasn't.
Tesla's lead tech and escalated to a engineer said everything is normal. This makes me wonder what the heck? Even giving exact dates and time.
4 miles per hour isn't anywhere close to normal most of the time, so I can't see how anyone at Tesla would have called that normal. Was there anything else at all that was said?
This vehicle isn't made for long range,
What?! Well I take exception to that. I have a 2014 S 85, and I love taking it on long trips. My favorite was a 5,000+ mile trip a couple of years ago.

I'm going through battery issues now. It will be 8 years in Dec 24 with about 205,000. My MS 85 recently would only charge 1 mile per 15mins at a super charger. Tesla's lead tech and escalated to a engineer said everything is normal. This makes me wonder what the heck? Even giving exact dates and time.

Makes me wonder if tesla does not want to honor the battery warranty. I was hoping that calling the tesla charging line would put something in the ticket, but they do not.

I will keep everyone posted to see what tesla has to say on this after i talk with the manager. This vehicle isn't made for long range, but with warranty i was hoping that wouldn't matter. Just venting i guess. Very frustrating.

Your 85 might be affected by what is being called “chargegate” here. It is also possible something else is wrong like your cooling louvres are no longer opening, so the car can’t cool properly during supercharging. I recommend heading over to the S forums, they might have some additional suggestions.

I assume the prices estimated here includes the labor to replace it. Just as a comparison, my sister’s 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, costed $8000 for a new NiMH a few years ago.
Yes, $15k includes labor and requires the return of the old battery.
For Toyotas there are companies that rebuild the packs so it's possible to get the Highlander battery replaced with a refurbished pack for $3k. Obviously Teslas are a much better deal per kWh though!

My 2012 S P85 that I purchased as a CPO in June 2017 with 42k miles on it now has less than 70k miles on it and after having it towed to Tesla 2 weeks ago because it wouldn't charge past 45 miles and giving me a bunch of errors from Maximum Charge Rate reduced daily etc. I was just notified from Tesla that my pack needs to be replaced and since my HV warranty ended 12/2020 it will be customer pay and even though I have been complaining about my battery for the past 6 months the issues that I was complaining about (SC rates reduced, range a lot less than 1 yr ago, etc) had nothing to do with the failure and they will only offer me a goodwill $3k credit towards the remaned pack that will still cost me $11,516 + tax. I don't know what to do... any suggestions?

they will only offer me a goodwill $3k credit towards the remaned pack that will still cost me $11,516 + tax. I don't know what to do... any suggestions?

Is the $11.5k before or after the $3k goodwill credit? In either case that is a really good deal as someone else was recently quoted $22k for their just out of warranty battery pack: Service says $22k for new battery on 2012 Model S.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
My 2012 S P85 that I purchased as a CPO in June 2017 with 42k miles on it now has less than 70k miles on it and after having it towed to Tesla 2 weeks ago because it wouldn't charge past 45 miles and giving me a bunch of errors from Maximum Charge Rate reduced daily etc. I was just notified from Tesla that my pack needs to be replaced and since my HV warranty ended 12/2020 it will be customer pay and even though I have been complaining about my battery for the past 6 months the issues that I was complaining about (SC rates reduced, range a lot less than 1 yr ago, etc) had nothing to do with the failure and they will only offer me a goodwill $3k credit towards the remaned pack that will still cost me $11,516 + tax. I don't know what to do... any suggestions?
Very unlucky. I'd ask in the S subforum.

Sorry to hear about this unexpected 12k expense.
that being said, it’s actually a great deal!
Insist on getting the 350volt pack (85kwh). It’s a new version of a refurbished pack - probably using 100kwh pack modules.

Very sorry to see that. Gruber Motors should be able to fix your battery for much less than $11,516 (Tesla Service | Roadster Repair | Gruber Motor Company).

Electrified Garage Tesla Service Center is another one.

I'm asking because I bought my Tesla knowing they have a proven track record with battery longevity second to none in the automotive industry. Nonetheless, I am planning on driving my TM3 well beyond the 120K warranty. Probably into the low 200s is there current plan and I'm just trying to guesstimate what the potential replacement liability I'll be facing while I'm out of warranty if I got statistically unlucky....

I wouldn’t say they have a proven track record with battery longevity. Every single famous high mileage Model S or X has had battery pack replacements, usually multiple ones. My 2018 3 has already lost 10% capacity after less than 10k miles. I think there is a reason Tesla abandoned the 8 years/unlimited mileage battery warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
I wouldn’t say they have a proven track record with battery longevity. Every single famous high mileage Model S or X has had battery pack replacements, usually multiple ones. My 2018 3 has already lost 10% capacity after less than 10k miles. I think there is a reason Tesla abandoned the 8 years/unlimited mileage battery warranty.

That's not really an impartial way to look at it though. Many high mileage (not replaced) S and X packs are showing minimal degradation (roughly 10-15%). Most other EV's from 2012-2017 degrade much worse (e.g. Nissan Leaf @ 50%). Time will tell how newer gen packs from other manufacturers fair.

Generally S and X packs are replaced due to a relatively small, cheap to fix problem. Unfortunately, because they have always been under warranty, Tesla has had no incentive to offer repairs at the Service Centers. They would just replace them and send them back to CA for remanufacturing. It's like the whole eMMC issue - Tesla didn't do anything to offer a cheap solution until put under pressure to do so. I imagine in the coming months/years Tesla will begin to offer repairs on HV Batteries that will be relatively inexpensive. On the Model 3 is is an inevitability since many people will begin to eclipse the warranty.

Also, I don't think it is fair to assume that Tesla has made no improvements from those original Model S and X packs to the pack in the Model 3/now. It is an entirely different, and simplified design on the 3, and I am sure the new S and X. All lithium batteries degrade sharply in the first year - that's industrywide. They then taper off very quickly. Both my 2018 Model 3's degraded 10% in the first 12 months, and then have actually "gained" back a little since (basically just rebalancing). Currently sitting at 8% and 9% over another year later.

My 2018 3 has already lost 10% capacity after less than 10k miles. I think there is a reason Tesla abandoned the 8 years/unlimited mileage battery warranty.
There are many reasons a battery will show 10% loss, but actually hasn’t.
Of course, your battery could have that amount of loss though. It depends on how you’ve treated it.
You can kill a combustion engine quickly, and you can kill a battery fairly quickly also.
There are a ton of folks here that care for the batteries really well, and they’ll likely last a long time. There are folks that beat the crap out of them as well, and those batteries won’t last long.
When I read posts that people have high degradation, it either means they have a defective battery, or they’ve beat the crap out of it.
No one here admits to that though. :)

There are many reasons a battery will show 10% loss, but actually hasn’t.
Of course, your battery could have that amount of loss though. It depends on how you’ve treated it.
You can kill a combustion engine quickly, and you can kill a battery fairly quickly also.
There are a ton of folks here that care for the batteries really well, and they’ll likely last a long time. There are folks that beat the crap out of them as well, and those batteries won’t last long.
When I read posts that people have high degradation, it either means they have a defective battery, or they’ve beat the crap out of it.
No one here admits to that though. :)
I'm sorry, but this idea is based on a faulty assumption and is just plain wrong. it assumes that Tesla has no control over the battery pack, and the owner has ultimate control. in fact Tesla's battery management system may be the most important part of their battery longevity.

As it happens, we beat the crap out of our battery, was driven Uber for more than 2 years, charged to 100% 4 to 5 times a week, ran down to zero multiple times, and I still got 233,000 miles on it. Yes 233,000 miles on the original battery. And that's a 2014 model S 85 kilowatt hour battery. Some batteries simply do better. Not that I'm not hoping mine will die! I have until December 2022 on my warranty. I'd really like to get a new battery. :)

I'm sorry, but this idea is based on a faulty assumption and is just plain wrong. it assumes that Tesla has no control over the battery pack, and the owner has ultimate control. in fact Tesla's battery management system may be the most important part of their battery longevity.

As it happens, we beat the crap out of our battery, was driven Uber for more than 2 years, charged to 100% 4 to 5 times a week, ran down to zero multiple times, and I still got 233,000 miles on it. Yes 233,000 miles on the original battery. And that's a 2014 model S 85 kilowatt hour battery. Some batteries simply do better. Not that I'm not hoping mine will die! I have until December 2022 on my warranty. I'd really like to get a new battery. :)
So what degradation do you have on that battery. ?
What degradation would you have, if you didn’t beat the crap out of it. ?

And to be very clear, when I say “Beat the crap out of it”, I’m talking about abuse, not use. ...
The BMS system will do its best to protect the battery, but it won’t stop you from charging too often at Superchargers, impacting the longevity as per Tesla, not faulty assumptions. :)
It won’t stop you from driving to zero percent, or charging to 100% and letting it sit. All of which negatively impact the battery, as per Tesla.
My idea was not It’s not based on faulty assumptions, it’s based on how Tesla themselves states how we should treat the battery.
If you think a given battery is not affected by how you treat it, you’re haven’t read any of Tesla’s manuals, or tests on their batteries.
My point was simply this; if you treat the battery poorly, it will degrade quicker.

That not wrong or faulty. Look into it. :)

Reactions: Rocky_H
So what degradation do you have on that battery. ?
What degradation would you have, if you didn’t beat the crap out of it. ?

And to be very clear, when I say “Beat the crap out of it”, I’m talking about abuse, not use. ...
The BMS system will do its best to protect the battery, but it won’t stop you from charging too often at Superchargers, impacting the longevity as per Tesla, not faulty assumptions. :)
It won’t stop you from driving to zero percent, or charging to 100% and letting it sit. All of which negatively impact the battery, as per Tesla.
My idea was not It’s not based on faulty assumptions, it’s based on how Tesla themselves states how we should treat the battery.
If you think a given battery is not affected by how you treat it, you’re haven’t read any of Tesla’s manuals, or tests on their batteries.
My point was simply this; if you treat the battery poorly, it will degrade quicker.

That not wrong or faulty. Look into it. :)

again, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. Sorry to be so blunt, but really, you need to do more research before you start talking. I still get in the 240s per charge. better than a lot of people who babied their batteries. Rated range of course, reality is a couple hundred miles. I've driven it to what is called zero on the "gauge" and charged to 100% a lot. I think it's four or five times that we've had to call a tow truck, because the Tesla shut itself down. I've supercharged it literally thousands of times. The only long-term study not done by Tesla the cars that supercharged more often actually had longer lasting batteries.

don't misunderstand, there's reasons for all of that, but really, it's pretty hard to damage these things. The BMS never lets you get to real zero, never to real 100%. and of course, there's no point in beating up your battery. If I'm not driving around I leave it in the 60% range. but, that's now. Like I said, for years it did get beat up really hard. I'm sure there was at least 50 times when we accidentally left it at 100%, where it sat for 12-14 hours. I do charge it to 100% at least once a week even now. The Tesloop batteries never had anything but supercharging, and one of their batteries is reported to have gone over 300,000 miles.

So, just use the thing, enjoy it! Well, assuming you own a Tesla at all.

again, I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. Sorry to be so blunt, but really, you need to do more research before you start talking. I still get in the 240s per charge. better than a lot of people who babied their batteries. Rated range of course, reality is a couple hundred miles. I've driven it to what is called zero on the "gauge" and charged to 100% a lot. I think it's four or five times that we've had to call a tow truck, because the Tesla shut itself down. I've supercharged it literally thousands of times. The only long-term study not done by Tesla the cars that supercharged more often actually had longer lasting batteries.

don't misunderstand, there's reasons for all of that, but really, it's pretty hard to damage these things. The BMS never lets you get to real zero, never to real 100%. and of course, there's no point in beating up your battery. If I'm not driving around I leave it in the 60% range. but, that's now. Like I said, for years it did get beat up really hard. I'm sure there was at least 50 times when we accidentally left it at 100%, where it sat for 12-14 hours. I do charge it to 100% at least once a week even now. The Tesloop batteries never had anything but supercharging, and one of their batteries is reported to have gone over 300,000 miles.

So, just use the thing, enjoy it! Well, assuming you own a Tesla at all.
You’re saying that your cars battery is doing great, so by default, no one should worry about how they treat their battery.
You’ve also now said that I don’t know what I’m talking about, and should do more research before talkingbecause your battery is doing great. :)

I’m not going to spell out to you how your logic is flawed here. :) you figure that out on your own.

So you must think Tesla doesn’t know what their talking about, because I’m referencing their recommendations for a healthy long lasting battery.

There are documented cases where others have not followed Tesla’s recommendations, and have had to have the pack replaced.
But you keep thinking that if your battery is good, everyone’s will be, regardless of how they treat it. LOL.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
End of usable life. They'll all wear a little different, but if you drive it for 300,000km and you only have 65% capacity, it's not like one or two of the modules are in somehow in acceptable condition even if modules of different health was OK. Or like the OP was asking, if you got the short end of the stick with your pack and it for some reason is just toast.

Of note is that utility of lithium ion cells generally drops off a cliff after about 70% original capacity. A 70% battery doesn't mean you have only used up 30% of it.

Edit: corrected pack/module wording

when you get to 60-70% useable capacity you start getting issues with voltage sags, errors etc anyway. so at that point anything than a small powerwall just isnt really possible. and tbh the battery is quite big to be used as a powerwall with only i.e. 10kwh capacity. plus risk of fire.