Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody come from a mustang gt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m considering a model 3 performance. Has anybody made the jump from a mustang? I’d specifically like to know how the ride quality compares. Thanks ✌️

Welcome to TMC.

There is a 20 page thread about "who came from a true sports car", which, while not discussing that specific car, covers the question you are asking:

Year of your mustang would help a lot for camparison of the ride.
Acceleration wise, a P will blow the doors off of most production cars so no worries there. But you probably already know that. :)

Yes I do lol. And oh right, sorry- it was a 2019 GT without the performance ride. I liked the ride for what it was, nice and relaxed. Hoping the model 3 performance isn’t too much stiffer

Welcome to TMC.

There is a 20 page thread about "who came from a true sports car", which, while not discussing that specific car, covers the question you are asking:

Thank you much brotha! 👍

Reactions: play150
Yes I do lol. And oh right, sorry- it was a 2019 GT without the performance ride. I liked the ride for what it was, nice and relaxed. Hoping the model 3 performance isn’t too much stiffer
I was hoping you’d get some former mustang owners to chime in. My dual motor rides like a dream compared to my F body but that’s no help.
Just buy one. You’ll be happy.

No offense to the OP, but why not just test drive one and see what you think? I think Mustangs ride like crap in general, loose and imprecise, but that’s just my opinion. You might prefer it.

No real way for anyone to tell you whether you’ll like the ride - you have to experience it for yourself.

Reactions: Jo060
I came from a 2017 Mustang GT Premium. The Model 3 Performance rides better, out performs it, and just out classes the mustang in every way. Except maybe sound but that's obviously subjective. I had the roush cat back system on the mustang and sometimes miss that throaty v8 sound. But the M3P pins you to the seat and silently smokes most cars off the lane, and that's just a whole lot of fun.

I came from a 2017 Mustang GT Premium. The Model 3 Performance rides better, out performs it, and just out classes the mustang in every way. Except maybe sound but that's obviously subjective. I had the roush cat back system on the mustang and sometimes miss that throaty v8 sound. But the M3P pins you to the seat and silently smokes most cars off the lane, and that's just a whole lot of fun.

Wow that’s really helpful thank you. Smoother ride on a ride trip? And yeah im kind of over the sound. Roush exhaust did sound really good though 👍

I’m considering a model 3 performance. Has anybody made the jump from a mustang? I’d specifically like to know how the ride quality compares. Thanks ✌️
I came from a 2014 GT Performance Pack. I added Koni's with custom coilovers in front and adjustable rear spring perch, a little lower and around twice the stock spring rate. Custom rod-end rear control arms and pahhard bar. Fun car on the track. Nothing beats the sound of a V8. I had the pleasure of driving a 400hp muscle car for 6 years. I really, really liked that car.

The Tesla Model 3 Performance beats it hands-down in every way.

Except the Recaros in the Mustang must have been divinely designed for my body. They are the only thing that did not beat the Tesla. And the charging thing is a little tougher at the track than filling up with gas.

The acceleration of the Tesla is far superior to the Mustang. Handling on the track is far superior than the Mustang with all the modifications I thought would make me a Hero at the track. The confidence the Tesla gives me on the track is superb. The traction control of the Tesla is really good. Launch in the rain, no problem just a little bit of wheel slip. Starting to feel the traction control kicking in on the track through a sweeper, just push the pedal further.

Your question about ride quality: Driving down the highway in a straight line at steady speed their NVH are comparible. Anything else the Tesla does better.

Reactions: M3Pdude
I had two S550 GT convertibles back-to-back, varying mods, but I'll mostly just focus on the handling.

First was a 2016, it was a Performance Pack car, so in '16 that meant it was also a 6-speed manual, loaded all stereo/nav/convenience/interior options (even the Premier interior in red, which used slightly better materials). Just as a general FYI, the Perf Pack makes a huge difference in the general feel and driving dynamics vs. a non-PP optioned car - it's suspension, wheels, tires and a 3:73 TORSEN rear end (several other things too, better cooling and electronics, etc.)

II eventually swapped the springs out for some BMR (terrific company), dropped it about 1-1.25", added some 25/23mm spacers onto the factory wheels (19x9, 19x9.5 / 255-40, 275/40, Pirelli). The springs made the car look great (with the spacers), but the ride got a touch bouncy on really uneven pavement.

I mention the wheel/tire specs since that can be a big contributor to ride feel, comfort and performance.

Later I swapped to an aftermarket wheel setup: 20x9, 20x10 / 285-35, 305-35, slightly lower profile, and wider, but about the same comfort due to switching to a Nitto tire.

I have a '21 Model 3 Performance, still stock suspensions/wheels/tires. I'd say the '16 GT felt little less tight, not quite the same immediacy / lacking a little turn in response, about the same comfort wise.

Also keep in mind, the Tesla (assuming a LR or P) is AWD, that's a pretty big change in driving dynamics.

The replacement 2019 GT convertible was also a Performance Pack, but in '19 it could be had with the new 10-speed automatic, which I had, and was excellent (my transmission was tuned along with my car being set up on both 93 and an ethanol tune). I moved over the wheels/tires to the new car at the dealer, so I didn't get any real seat time bone stock, but I could tell the '19 felt a little tighter in general.

However, the biggest difference was the new car had Magneride, which is just spectacular. It's both better handling __and__ more comfortable, it handles sudden elevation changes semi-magically. I didn't do anything to the suspension in the '19 before I sold it in June (for the M3P).

For some other comparisons, I/we have had a number of performance/sporty cars, Z06, an S2K, a few BMWs (Z3, 330 with the sport package), and I've driven quite a few different makes and models.

I'd say the '21 M3P, stock, felt better overall vs. the '16 GT, the '19 with the MR suspension was a bit more compliant, and bit tighter, though the M3P still has a very planted, confidence, more so than either of the GTs. It feels less tightly sprung than a modern M3/4, kind of right on a 3/4-series with the M-Sport package, a little better compliance, but not as slick as that GT with the active suspension system.

Er, sorry, that got a little long, hahaha, I was writing it a bit at a time since early this morning o_O

And for no reason whatsoever, here are the two GTs I owned :cool:

IMG_4131_1200.jpeg

IMG_6586_1010_trimmed.jpg

Don't know about the P but my boosted AWD sucks at highway speeds (especially at low SOC) . Sorry to say but after 70 mph my former Lexus ISF was much more fun acceleration wise. Should have kept it as a back up.

I had two S550 GT convertibles back-to-back, varying mods, but I'll mostly just focus on the handling.

First was a 2016, it was a Performance Pack car, so in '16 that meant it was also a 6-speed manual, loaded all stereo/nav/convenience/interior options (even the Premier interior in red, which used slightly better materials). Just as a general FYI, the Perf Pack makes a huge difference in the general feel and driving dynamics vs. a non-PP optioned car - it's suspension, wheels, tires and a 3:73 TORSEN rear end (several other things too, better cooling and electronics, etc.)

II eventually swapped the springs out for some BMR (terrific company), dropped it about 1-1.25", added some 25/23mm spacers onto the factory wheels (19x9, 19x9.5 / 255-40, 275/40, Pirelli). The springs made the car look great (with the spacers), but the ride got a touch bouncy on really uneven pavement.

I mention the wheel/tire specs since that can be a big contributor to ride feel, comfort and performance.

Later I swapped to an aftermarket wheel setup: 20x9, 20x10 / 285-35, 305-35, slightly lower profile, and wider, but about the same comfort due to switching to a Nitto tire.

I have a '21 Model 3 Performance, still stock suspensions/wheels/tires. I'd say the '16 GT felt little less tight, not quite the same immediacy / lacking a little turn in response, about the same comfort wise.

Also keep in mind, the Tesla (assuming a LR or P) is AWD, that's a pretty big change in driving dynamics.

The replacement 2019 GT convertible was also a Performance Pack, but in '19 it could be had with the new 10-speed automatic, which I had, and was excellent (my transmission was tuned along with my car being set up on both 93 and an ethanol tune). I moved over the wheels/tires to the new car at the dealer, so I didn't get any real seat time bone stock, but I could tell the '19 felt a little tighter in general.

However, the biggest difference was the new car had Magneride, which is just spectacular. It's both better handling __and__ more comfortable, it handles sudden elevation changes semi-magically. I didn't do anything to the suspension in the '19 before I sold it in June (for the M3P).

For some other comparisons, I/we have had a number of performance/sporty cars, Z06, an S2K, a few BMWs (Z3, 330 with the sport package), and I've driven quite a few different makes and models.

I'd say the '21 M3P, stock, felt better overall vs. the '16 GT, the '19 with the MR suspension was a bit more compliant, and bit tighter, though the M3P still has a very planted, confidence, more so than either of the GTs. It feels less tightly sprung than a modern M3/4, kind of right on a 3/4-series with the M-Sport package, a little better compliance, but not as slick as that GT with the active suspension system.

Er, sorry, that got a little long, hahaha, I was writing it a bit at a time since early this morning o_O

And for no reason whatsoever, here are the two GTs I owned :cool:

View attachment 729299

View attachment 729300
As a car enthusiast, I get excited when I see those pics of the Mustangs. They look fast sitting still, open top, rowing your own gears and listening to the exhaust roar. Much more engaging and it excites all the senses. As a prior Tesla M3P owner, it is a great car, probably the best performance daily driver available, but it just doesn't tug at the heartstrings. I am hopeful Dodge and others will be able to inject some soul into the performance EVs for enthusiasts like myself.

Reactions: yavore
Don't know about the P but my boosted AWD sucks at highway speeds (especially at low SOC) . Sorry to say but after 70 mph my former Lexus ISF was much more fun acceleration wise. Should have kept it as a back up.
The M3P is the same, in fact the P and AWD are pretty much identical after 60mph or so. It is one of the weak spots of the powertrain for sure. They needs to figure out how to put a 2 speed gearbox or something in it. They also need to figure out how to maintain performance better as the SOC drops. It is hard to buy a performance trim but and then realize it only puts down those advertised numbers between 80-100% charge. Not to mention the best practice is to charge to 80-90% max? As the SOC drops you lose quite a bit of performance.

Reactions: yavore
As a car enthusiast, I get excited when I see those pics of the Mustangs. They look fast sitting still, open top, rowing your own gears and listening to the exhaust roar. Much more engaging and it excites all the senses. As a prior Tesla M3P owner, it is a great car, probably the best performance daily driver available, but it just doesn't tug at the heartstrings. I am hopeful Dodge and others will be able to inject some soul into the performance EVs for enthusiasts like myself.
They are fun to drive! Although my M3P is MUCH faster at these autocross events.

the one (1).jpeg

Reactions: raptor5244